The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
follow the money - info source
Old 13th March 2019
Gear Addict

This seems like a pertinent spot to put this info on GS.

Want to make money then you need to understand the biz including copyrights and how they work money wise.

This site has a lot of great info if you are new to the business side of music:

The Music Maze - Helping independent musicians navigate the music business.

The Music Maze is a free music brain dump!
It wil share what the site owner learned about music and the music business over the last few decades, so that you can get a jump start and make the most out of your music career; it’s sort of like a knowledge base and mentorship program rolled into one.

The big picture overview:

In an infographic:
https://www.themusicmaze.com/wp-cont...ecording-1.png

In words:
How does the music industry work? Give me the high-level overview! - The Music Maze

Good overview of the copyright situation so you can get paid for your IP:
Copyrights, Royalties, and Permissions

Los senderos also has a number of other excellent summaries that are useful including one of the most complete stereo miking methods I have seen in one place.

Last edited by joe sixpak; 13th March 2019 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: added info
Old 13th March 2019
Thumbs up

amazing resource. Thanks for the info
Old 15th March 2019
Looks pretty good, all right, though I haven't really dug in yet.

Love the flow chart.
Old 18th March 2019
Lives for gear

Excellent info. The industry is built on shifting sands... lol. I hear so many people say "I just signed up with so an so (distributor/services)... and I am real happy about it." The next person says "I got fed up with so an so... so I switched and I am glad I switched - but the switch was a pure headache." Then I hear someone who was bouncing around them all for years and says they are all full of it. I guess what I am saying... many beginners sign up and get their stuff 'out there' and are happy until they realize they have lil to none notoriety. Then most noobs realize that they are the one losing money and are supporting many with their paid fees. I kinda feel - you can kinda get your stuff out there by yourself. And if there is a connection or demand for your stuff - thats really when you start getting on a rung of the ladder.

With this present state of industry chaos and S&M (smoke and mirrors or the other definition...lol...) I have not found many articles on the most flexible routes for adjustments down the road. It seems if you choose a distributor or publishing administrator etc THAT immediately pulls some possible future important service off the table. Neighboring Rights NR is another lolapalooza. Oh how it would be nice if someone could map out JUST a few different sensible routes and the reasoning why. Most all explanations kind of leave people in a more confused state than when they started. If someone could express just a good probable route for say a person who wrote a song and sang it himself... it would probably go viral. I guess that is just the nature of the beast... it was preplanned that way from the start. Lets get our shovels and start digging in.
Old 20th March 2019
There isn’t that much money out there to be concerned with all of this stuff.
Old 20th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
Excellent info. The industry is built on shifting sands... lol. I hear so many people say "I just signed up with so an so (distributor/services)... and I am real happy about it." The next person says "I got fed up with so an so... so I switched and I am glad I switched - but the switch was a pure headache." Then I hear someone who was bouncing around them all for years and says they are all full of it. I guess what I am saying... many beginners sign up and get their stuff 'out there' and are happy until they realize they have lil to none notoriety. Then most noobs realize that they are the one losing money and are supporting many with their paid fees. I kinda feel - you can kinda get your stuff out there by yourself. And if there is a connection or demand for your stuff - thats really when you start getting on a rung of the ladder.

With this present state of industry chaos and S&M (smoke and mirrors or the other definition...lol...) I have not found many articles on the most flexible routes for adjustments down the road. It seems if you choose a distributor or publishing administrator etc THAT immediately pulls some possible future important service off the table. Neighboring Rights NR is another lolapalooza. Oh how it would be nice if someone could map out JUST a few different sensible routes and the reasoning why. Most all explanations kind of leave people in a more confused state than when they started. If someone could express just a good probable route for say a person who wrote a song and sang it himself... it would probably go viral. I guess that is just the nature of the beast... it was preplanned that way from the start. Lets get our shovels and start digging in.

This will help clear up the confusion:

Nothing the govt can do will clear up the needless work to get paid properly.
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe sixpak View Post
This will help clear up the confusion:

Nothing the govt can do will clear up the needless work to get paid properly.
Obvious mess, can not be solved with the same type of mind that created the problem in the first place.
Old 20th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
Obvious mess, can not be solved with the same type of mind that created the problem in the first place.
You are assuming that the 'crats have and mind and are logical at all.
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe sixpak View Post
You are assuming that the 'crats have and mind and are logical at all.
My mistake, I jumped the gun... bad assumption. By definition, crats don't have a mind or logical rationale.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search