The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Out of the frypan, and back into the fire
Old 12th March 2019
Gear Addict

Out of the frypan, and back into the fire

Awful and "cheesy" lyrics, but the sentiment remains.

What I'm trying to get at is using the olde saying "Out of the frypan/kettle, and back into the fire".

This is a situation where everything seems ok, but you are suddenly thrust back into it (not of your fault) and you thought had previously been resolved, but now not the case, and eventually end up in a worse situation.

It's something that most of us would have experienced? maybe? perhaps? at sometime in our lives. And I stress, not of our own doing, but sh*t happens.

I've got the music together, but I think the phrase is just way way toooooo cheesy.

Any alternate ideas muchly appreciated.

Cheers, Steve.
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear
My take on that phrase is somewhat different, in that the present situation (pan) is bad enough but the alternative (fire) is even worse.
Whereas you are saying the present situation (pan) is okay and then turns bad (fire)

Anyway for starters.
set to regret
hurting to burning
hurt to cursed
slammed to damned
framed to blamed
rough to tough
neglected to rejected
Old 12th March 2019
I'd agree on the normal connotation of the 'out of the frying pan and into the fire' being one of going from bad to worse. That's the point of its construction. A hot frying pan is probably not a comfortable place -- but it's still likely preferable to the fire, itself.

You could search for an alternative phrase (or use/modify one of Macky's amusing suggestions) or you could try twisting the cliche into something new. It doesn't always take a major reinvention of an old cliche to make it new again, sometimes just a little word play or inversion can make it feel fresh. Or fresh enough. Today's pop music doesn't set too many high bars, lyrically.
Old 12th March 2019
Gear Addict

Outta' the frying pan,
past the lips.
Through the intestine and
onto the hips.

Probably wont work as a love song but still kind of keeps with the original sentiment of going from bad to worse.

or maybe

Outta' the fire and
back into the pan.
Dinners covered in ashes
but i dont care a damn.

Bit of a positive spin on a bad situation.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search