The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Songwriting Dilemma That Intersects With a Real Life Situation
Old 4th March 2019
Songwriting Dilemma That Intersects With a Real Life Situation

Started writing songs a while ago for a CD project. Mostly love songs. All based on the relationship with an ex. Then, the ex girlfriend says Dosvedanya. Now, I'm with somebody new. None of the songs were completely finished. Now my question/dilemma: Can I or should I psychologically transfer the basis or motivation for these songs to my current partner and finish them with her in mind ? Or...what kinds of issues could you see coming up in the future if I did that? I will probably change lyrics in various parts of several of the songs.
Old 4th March 2019
Lives for gear

Most great songs capture a general feeling and message that can be applied to many different specific situations.

In my own lyric writing, I try to use one story as the primary basis, but also make sure the main ideas are applicable to other stories that have a similar feeling to them, and sometimes these other stories may influence a line or verse more heavily.

I think its perfectly sensible to apply the general feelings of the songs to the new sets of stories you're creating with the new girl, and continue on from there, keeping some of the old and working in some of the new however feels right to you in relation to creating the best song.
Old 6th March 2019
All the characters in my songs are composite characters. No, wait, I mean, totally fictional characters. Yeah... that's it. Complete fabrications. No similarity to real people noted or implied. Hell, not even from this planet.
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
All the characters in my songs are composite characters. No, wait, I mean, totally fictional characters. Yeah... that's it. Complete fabrications. No similarity to real people noted or implied. Hell, not even from this planet.
Haha yeah "fiction" is a great answer to the meaning behind songs about friends, family, addiction problems, and most importantly, your girl.
Old 7th March 2019
Oh, yeah.

Some girls in my past seemed to think it would be flattering to be written about... it was at that point that I would find myself asking them, "You haven't really listened to my lyrics, have you?"
Old 7th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
Started writing songs a while ago for a CD project. Mostly love songs. All based on the relationship with an ex. Then, the ex girlfriend says Dosvedanya. Now, I'm with somebody new. None of the songs were completely finished. Now my question/dilemma: Can I or should I psychologically transfer the basis or motivation for these songs to my current partner and finish them with her in mind ? Or...what kinds of issues could you see coming up in the future if I did that? I will probably change lyrics in various parts of several of the songs.
Finish what you’re working on and then write new stuff based on whatever’s speaking to you at the time

When you start running the game you’re describing the end result is usually zero productivity or crappy art

I can’t imagine the current GF thinks you came to her as a virgin peach without a history... besides, it doesn’t matter... you shouldn’t be writing these tunes for anyone but you... if it makes the current GF horny to think one of the tunes is about her, fine... should not matter
Old 8th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Finish what you’re working on and then write new stuff based on whatever’s speaking to you at the time

When you start running the game you’re describing the end result is usually zero productivity or crappy art

I can’t imagine the current GF thinks you came to her as a virgin peach without a history... besides, it doesn’t matter... you shouldn’t be writing these tunes for anyone but you... if it makes the current GF horny to think one of the tunes is about her, fine... should not matter
This is good advice and pretty much what I decided to do. Turns out, I couldn't stand to finish more than a couple of the old songs (the others upon reflection were either not too good or too corny). Started writing some new tunes and have a couple under my belt now so all is good.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search