The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RPM Challenge - 2019 DSP Audio Systems
Old 4th February 2019
RPM Challenge - 2019

from the RPM Challenge site...

Quote:
Welcome to February! If you've been on the fence about joining RPM for 2019, it's not too late -- jump on in, the water is fantastic!

RPM is a creative challenge: write and record a new album during the 28 days of February, just because you can.

Don't wait for inspiration - taking action puts you in a position to get inspired. 10 songs or 35 minutes of original material -- you can do it!

Since 2006, tens of thousands of musicians (and many who weren't sure if they were) have taken the Challenge, joined the community and been amazed by what they created.

So are we. It's a vast cosmos of original, independent music that wouldn't have existed otherwise, and now it's in the world, and in us.

Join us at The RPM Challenge - Home .
Old 6th February 2019
never heard of this before.

sounds kind of interesting. Lost a few days but i guess its better late than never.
Old 6th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bainmack View Post
never heard of this before.

sounds kind of interesting. Lost a few days but i guess its better late than never.

It doesn't have to be fancy or profound. It's about getting off one's backside and doing it. The recordings need to be done in February and the songs previously unreleased -- and they encourage participants to write their material especially for the project -- but they do allow pre-written songs.

TBH, I've been having some trouble getting started, myself. I've never been a write-on-demand kind of guy. The first time I participated, I only had two or three songs with lyrics, though I wrote them for the challenge (and one I quite liked -- so it was all kind of worth it). There were more than a couple noodly instrumentals. I suspect that could happen again...

Old 6th February 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
... I've been having some trouble getting started, myself. I've never been a write-on-demand kind of guy.
That's the thing that makes jingles easier. They tell you what it's about. For me, the hardest thing is having something to say. And it's why I wanna stick pencils in my eyes when people make records that say nothing, or at least nothing that doesn't involve a penis, but it doesn't let that stop them.
Old 7th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
That's the thing that makes jingles easier. They tell you what it's about. For me, the hardest thing is having something to say. And it's why I wanna stick pencils in my eyes when people make records that say nothing, or at least nothing that doesn't involve a penis, but it doesn't let that stop them.
I never got the hang of jingles. I did some station ID's but those are pretty much pre-written, station slogan, call letters, frequency maybe.

When I think about them, I think about a middle and high school friend of mine, a total Chet Atkins disciple (and I thought I didn't fit in) playing up a storm at the school talent show -- and the audience eating up his flashy pickin' -- until he ran out of Atkins show stoppers and trotted out his own, Chet-style arrangement of the old Dr. Ross Dog Food commercial ("Dr. Ross Dog Food is dog-gone good!") You could feel the axis shift...
Old 7th February 2019
To be honest, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to pull this off. (No pun intended, Brent!) I've been feeling especially uninspired. But I'm going to keep turning on the gear and sitting there like a fool until something happens, anyhow. I remember when I used to write songs all the time. Not necessarily good songs. But every once in a while, one wasn't so bad. But lately I'm not writing anything, seems like... and that feels too much like giving up. =/
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Try letting go of expectations, standards and trying to write songs you approve of. I found the freedom to go into it with that mindset allowed me to just pump stuff out almost automatically. Judge it later. This exercise is just about cranking something out. Your finished product doesn’t define you. RPM just gets you to produce in a setting without consequence.

Quote:
To be honest, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to pull this off. (No pun intended, Brent!) I've been feeling especially uninspired. But I'm going to keep turning on the gear and sitting there like a fool until something happens, anyhow. I remember when I used to write songs all the time. Not necessarily good songs. But every once in a while, one wasn't so bad. But lately I'm not writing anything, seems like... and that feels too much like giving up. =/
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
Try letting go of expectations, standards and trying to write songs you approve of. I found the freedom to go into it with that mindset allowed me to just pump stuff out almost automatically. Judge it later. This exercise is just about cranking something out. Your finished product doesn’t define you. RPM just gets you to produce in a setting without consequence.
I have a friend, I guy I really admire in lots of ways, who has written over 1000 songs, or so he says. He's got video up on Youtube of maybe 80 of them and counting. He doesn't care in the slightest about groove, or chord changes, or arrangement. I couldn't tell you even one title or subject or a line from his lyrics. It's motel art, but he sure does know how to crank something out.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
It's motel art, but he sure does know how to crank something out.
Im interested in motel art... could you share his video with us?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Im interested in motel art... could you share his video with us?
Absolutely not.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Absolutely not.
hahaa shucks... well i tried.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
I have a friend, I guy I really admire in lots of ways, who has written over 1000 songs, or so he says. He's got video up on Youtube of maybe 80 of them and counting. He doesn't care in the slightest about groove, or chord changes, or arrangement. I couldn't tell you even one title or subject or a line from his lyrics. It's motel art, but he sure does know how to crank something out.
They say many of the greats pumped them out, genius and dross, all in one big flow...

Me, my own 'count' has changed over the years. I kept excluding older, lesser works. (Which is not to say that all that's left is genius, by a long, long stretch.) At one point, I figured I had about 300 songs, most of them unrecorded, many with shifting musical frameworks or awaiting polishing/finishing.

When I finally decided to create a blog/podcast in 2005 with slapdash folkie arrangements and recordings of all of them, I ended up with about 135 or so that I could stand to have in front of the public. (And a couple of those, oy veh!) I think I have that up to 155 or so now. (Every couple years I count DLs from the thing; last time it was about 755K. Of course, I think that means 754K people stabbing the skip button and shaking their heads, but, you know, the caged bird gotta 'sing.')
Old 3 weeks ago
As I noted, I've been having a hard time getting going -- and not at all sure I'm going to make it -- but I think I've got at least one idea for a new song -- though I had to steal the first line from a thread title here on GS...

"I’ve Owned So Many pPreamps...."

I see it as a kind of nostalgic look back on romances of the past.

Next up, another ballad of reminiscence and regret: "Send in the Clones."
Old 2 weeks ago
Here's my entry, 10 songs. Recorded using an Art Pro Channel II, Sm57 Tab on vox, Shure bg4.1 on guitars....

The Walter Beaumont Continuum by leonrich | Leon Rich | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravymanstan View Post
Here's my entry, 10 songs. Recorded using an Art Pro Channel II, Sm57 Tab on vox, Shure bg4.1 on guitars....

The Walter Beaumont Continuum by leonrich | Leon Rich | Free Listening on SoundCloud
I've now listened to the first seven or eight, and I'm quite charmed by the outsider pop sensibility, the whimsy, the minimalism, and the ear-hook melodies and riffs.

"Play Every Day"... oh, yeah! Anthem.

I really love this. Love the "Sunny Side Up" ending... just very sweet.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravymanstan View Post

I like the feel of 'say what say' ...tempo, melody, all.
I'm impressed you were able to do these in the month of Feb.
good job man!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
I've now listened to the first seven or eight, and I'm quite charmed by the outsider pop sensibility, the whimsy, the minimalism, and the ear-hook melodies and riffs.

"Play Every Day"... oh, yeah! Anthem.

I really love this. Love the "Sunny Side Up" ending... just very sweet.
Thanks man!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
I like the feel of 'say what say' ...tempo, melody, all.
I'm impressed you were able to do these in the month of Feb.
good job man!
Thanks! I try go in with a plan, then of course that plan changes!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yeah Love Karma hooked me, felt acoustic Nirvana-ish in vibe, if a bit lighter. Skimmed through if not completely listened to to rest. Nice mix of 90s and 70s influence throughout. "Right Now" seemed like the only cop out/filler song of the bunch. Impressive month.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search