The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why you create songs? For $, joy, changng the world or its in your soul? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Why you create songs? For $, joy, changng the world or its in your soul?

Why do you create song and music?

This is an interesting topic and would like to know why you do it? I do it for a variety of reasons some of which are below...

When I hear music I love and is 'perfect' for the moment and/or changes something in me (usually positive) that I just have a hard time of putting it into words - I want to connect to that energy and feel an urge to do something similar. In similar; I mean I feel urged to create a song to change others like that song changed me... not necessarily a similar song.

Why do you create song... Is it to express something, for fun and joy, connect with something, as self therapy, engage with others who enjoy the creation energy, send a message to others or out 'there', to alter consciousness, change your mood, change others, feel compelled or do it or for work and money? thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I write songs and record them because I love doing that. Although I have a couple of fans on the internet, I have little interaction with them...I can just see listens on sites and sell a CD once every few months. It isn't recognition that drives me. It's just what I do. It's funny how much effort we put into finding the right word, the feel of a guitar fill, a reverb tweek….with little feedback that it mattered to anyone. I guess it matters to me and a bit to a couple of collaborators....that's enough. What else would I do?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

"...the effort we put into finding the right word, the feel of a guitar fill, a reverb tweek…"

Well said. Its amazing how language has lagged far behind music. Trying to describe things can get wordy and twisted up pretty quickly. (Is that what I was trying to say? lol) Like any artist it is so rewarding to see the song come together, then complete. Its one of those mediums where 'producers block' can be instantly fixed by listening to something that was 'irrelevant'.
Old 3 weeks ago
I had no choice in the matter. Good thing I learned to play guitar.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I also feel like I don't have much choice in the matter.. (thats a good thing) like Elvis said 'I can't help it Mama I got move my body when I sing' LOL.

"I had no choice in the matter. Good thing I learned to play guitar." Johnny Nowhere

Sounds like a potential theme of a song. Could you expand on that? Is there is a good deep meaning in there...?
Old 3 weeks ago
I'll answer with an old question:

Why does the caged bird sing?

I was working as an engineer before I ever seriously thought about releasing any of my own music -- and by then I could see that the standard music biz path was a) not going to work for an outlier creative like me and b) I was sorely disinclined to have anything more to do with standard music industry suit-types than was absolutely necessary -- I really learned to despise most of the glad-handing, fast-talking parasites who infest the offices of the big music machine.

Happily, the evolution of business mechanisms and the new-found ability to pursue DIY distribution have given hard-to-market types their own pathways to find audiences. It's still difficult, of course -- as it always has been, even for people backed with promo budgets -- but at least we don't have to mess with the label gate-keepers who often did so much to limit the supply and diversity of music for their own marketing ends.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Ha Ha ... "I gotsda" Being on the other side of the fence producing indie lps I felt exact same thing... The industry is vastly changing for the better (in many ways). Major flows of revenue will always be more controlled somehow; but its nice to see out of the boxers like T.O.P (Twenty One Pilots) who did the opposite thing and it worked great. When the landscape changes there are always much more opportunities for the smaller guy. Nice to have a wonderful breath of fresh air.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The joy of creation and the desire for expression.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

When that 'JOY' and 'EXPRESSION' is water marked in the song it becomes real soul food or gold, and when listening, it can even make the most tedious tasks enjoyable.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I have never really pursued my career in music. Yet music studio work and creating music has always (well, from the point when I started to learn guitar as a teenager, I am 49 now) excited me. In a way I make music to be able to record that music. I love to work on the arrangement. It's sometimes a lot of work and I may get fed up of working on something. Then I just have a break from it for a while. But it's always great to hear the finished mix in the end. Without any deadlines or pressure from outside
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Yes I feel creating songs is driven by my soul somehow. Its never to late to start learning or singing or just plain having fun. Understanding sound and vibrations seems like its never ending. Like a great book that has an unlimited amount of pages. I always like to reset myself away from what is the norm or status quo. Of course you will get ripped royally sometimes but hey that can be fun too. New movements in the history of popular music (other genres too) have always been of incredibly keen interest for me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Therapy.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPaul View Post
I write songs and record them because I love doing that. Although I have a couple of fans on the internet, I have little interaction with them...I can just see listens on sites and sell a CD once every few months. It isn't recognition that drives me. It's just what I do. It's funny how much effort we put into finding the right word, the feel of a guitar fill, a reverb tweek….with little feedback that it mattered to anyone. I guess it matters to me and a bit to a couple of collaborators....that's enough. What else would I do?
Ditto everything you said. I have access to a very nice studio since I do session work there. It is a highlight of my life when I put the finishing touch on my recordings (especially when they come back from mastering)

Like you said - what else would I do???
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Some recordings I do will never even be heard by anyone else, I do those recordings because I just enjoy exploring deep down in the world of sound and "go where I haven't gone before..." And once in a blue moon I will actually harvest something from that joyful recording for another project.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Just a desire to create. Turns out I had a knack for music and managed to make a very good career and living for myself for the past 30 years, but it's never what I wanted. I just kind of ended up here by accident. Truth is, I had wanted to be a surgeon and there's still a part of me that's sad I never stuck to that path.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I just like to is all.

I'll be 57 in a few weeks. It's a hobby that I think is better than train sets or golf.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Every good and perfect gift comes down to us from the Father of Lights, and so I use the gift He gave me to glorify Him and praise Him for His Son.

All instrumentals, but there's more life in my music than you might ever imagine. His Spirit moves through me and the music, if I may say so as humbly as i can.

Last edited by Toddskins; 1 week ago at 02:24 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddskins View Post
Every good and perfect gift comes down to us from the Father of Lights, and so I use the gift He gave me to glorify Him and praise Him for His Son.

All instrumentals, but there's more life in my music than you might ever imagine. His Spirit moves through me and the music, if I may say so as humbly as i can.
I love good Gospel amd double entendre Gospel. Edgar Cayce said sound (vibration) is the most powerful force in the universe. Genesis: ' "The Word" is Sound', Sound is Love, I am Love' powerful stuff.

One substance / One dynamic rate theory changes the playing field, changes the matter.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddskins View Post

Nothing terribly humble about that. And if there are no lyrics, are we just supposed to figure out what you're on about?

Interesting to me how you can't talk about religion around here, but you can talk about making music about it all you want.

Didja know that "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God" has a different chord change for almost every syllable? Played really fast, it's a fun bluegrass tune.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Nothing terribly humble about that. And if there are no lyrics, are we just supposed to figure out what you're on about?

Interesting to me how you can't talk about religion around here, but you can talk about making music about it all you want.

Didja know that "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God" has a different chord change for almost every syllable? Played really fast, it's a fun bluegrass tune.
Right on Brett! Syllables, sounds, letters, words are encoded with specific notes, chords and frequencies... prayer or mantras in all kinds of philosophies are pre-designed for specific purposes. Speak into existence is becoming very science proven?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Just a desire to create. Turns out I had a knack for music and managed to make a very good career and living for myself for the past 30 years, but it's never what I wanted. I just kind of ended up here by accident. Truth is, I had wanted to be a surgeon and there's still a part of me that's sad I never stuck to that path.
Well, I wanted to be a rock star!

I was so sure that it would happen... We had a band, we had PA system, we had lights, we had a bus, for God's sake. I was destined to live a large life. Then BAM life happened. Wife, kids, mortgage, car payments.

I was 33 when I finally succumbed and went to college. Now 25 years later recording my original songs is all I have left and I love it.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
I love good Gospel amd double entendre Gospel. Edgar Cayce said sound (vibration) is the most powerful force in the universe. Genesis: ' "The Word" is Sound', Sound is Love, I am Love' powerful stuff.

One substance / One dynamic rate theory changes the playing field, changes the matter.
[bold added]

Resonant systems. Whether it's sound in air, electronics, brain function, or genetic evolution, the natural recurrence of similar but evolving patterns would seem to underlie much (everything?) in our lives and our world.

That was a thought that occurred one day back in January 2016 while doing some drilling on my classical guitar as I went from one mental state into something almost like meditation. As the insight process cooled, I tried to capture as much of my thinking, dictating into my phone.* I've since refined some of my thinking, expanded it a bit.

But I've also come across others thinking along the same lines -- and only a few months ago, a published 'thought piece' from a researcher touched on a lot of the same points I've been thinking along...

* First my ill-focused, top-of-head rambling from 2016 (very lightly sorta-edited for readability): Consciousness, evolution, nature, and resonant systems… | TK Major

Now the official smart guys: Could consciousness all come down to the way things vibrate?

Last edited by theblue1; 1 week ago at 08:32 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
[bold added]

Resonant systems. Whether it's sound in air, electronics, brain function, or genetic evolution, the natural recurrence of similar but evolving patterns would seem to underlie much (everything?) in our lives and our world.

That was a thought that occurred one day back in January 2016 while doing some drilling on my classical guitar as I went from one mental state into something almost like meditation. As the insight process cooled, I tried to capture as much of my thinking, dictating into my phone.* I've since refined some of my thinking, expanded it a bit.

But I've also come across others thinking along the same lines -- and only a few months ago, a published 'thought piece' from a researcher touched on a lot of the same points I've been thinking along...

* First my ill-focused, top-of-head rambling from 2016 (very lightly sorta-edited for readability): Consciousness, evolution, nature, and resonant systems… | TK Major

Now the official smart guys: Could consciousness all come down to the way things vibrate?
hope it is not too long something I looked for my whole life here:

This was written in the 1930s when some one contacted St Germain and asked the question 'What is True Visualization?'----------------
TRUE VISUALIZATION: ST. GERMAINE
"I have a question that has been holding my attention for some time, and it is concerning— visualization. What is true visualization and what
happens—when one does visualize?"
"True visualization," he answered, "is God's attribute and Power of Sight—acting in the mind of
man. When one consciously pictures in his mind a desire he wishes fulfilled—he is using one of the
most powerful means of bringing it into his visible, tangible experience. There is much confusion
and uncertainty in the minds of many, concerning what actually happens—when one visualizes or
makes a mental picture—of something he desires. No form ever came into existence—anywhere in
the universe—unless some one had consciously held a picture of that form in his thought—for every
thought contains a picture of the idea within it. Even an abstract thought has a picture of some kind
—or at least a picture—that is one's mental concept of it.
"I will give you an exercise by which one may develop, consciously control, and direct his
visualizing activities for definite accomplishment. There are several steps to the process—which
every student can use at any and all times. The practice does bring visible, tangible results—when
really applied. The first step—is to determine upon a definite plan or desire to be fulfilled. In this,
see that it is constructive, honorable, and worthy of your time and effort. Be sure to examine your—
motive—for bringing such a creation into expression. It must be honest—both toward yourself and
the rest of the world, not merely to follow a whim or gratify—appetites of the physical senses.
Remember there is a vast difference between use, desire, and appetite. Use—is the fulfilling of the
Great Universal Law of Service. Desire—is the expanding activity of—God—through which
manifestation is constantly sustained and is Perfection—enlarging itself. Appetite—is but habit—
established by the continued gratification of the feeling nature—and is but energy—focused and
qualified by suggestions—from the outer activity of life.
"Be—very sure—that there is no lurking feeling within—that you would be glad to benefit at the
expense of another. A Real student—and only such a one will get the benefit out of this kind of
training—takes the reins into his own hands and—determines—to discipline and consciously control
—the human self. He chooses what shall or shall not be in his world and—through the process of
picturing within his mind—designs and brings into manifestation—a definitely determined plan of
Life.
"The second step—is to state your plan in words—as concise and clear as possible. Write this down.
Thus, you make a record of your desire in the outer, visible, tangible world. The third step—is to
close the eyes and—see—within your mind a mental picture of your desire or plan—in its finished,
perfect condition and activity.
"Contemplate the fact—that your ability to create and see a picture within your own consciousness—
is God's attribute of sight—acting in you. The activity of—seeing—and the power to—create—are
attributes of your—God Self—which you know and feel is within you at all times. God's Life and
Power are acting within your consciousness to propel into your outer world, the picture you are—
seeing and feeling—within yourself.
"Keep reminding the intellect—that the ability to picture is an attribute of God—the attribute of sight. The power to feel, experience, and
associate with the perfected picture is God's power. The substance used in the world without—to make the forms in your
picture and plan is God's pure substance. Then you must—know—God is the Doer, the Doing, and the Deed of every constructive form and
action that ever has been sent forth—into the world of manifestation. When you thus use all the constructive processes—it is impossible for your
plan—not—to come into your visible world.
"Read your desire or plan over, as many times in the day as possible and always just before retiring
—because on going to sleep—immediately after contemplating the picture in your own mind—a full
impression is left upon the human consciousness undisturbed—for a number of hours—enabling it to
be recorded deeply in the outer activity—and allowing the force to be generated and accumulated—
which propels it into the outer experience Life. In this way, you can carry any desire or picture into
your consciousness—as it enters—the Great Silence—in sleep. There—it becomes charged by God's
Greatest Power and Activity—which is always within—the Heart of the Great Silence.
"Under no circumstances—discuss either your desire or the fact that you are visualizing—with
anyone whatsoever. This is imperative. Do not talk to yourself about it out loud—or even in a
whisper—for you should realize that the greater the accumulation of energy—generated by your
visualization, contemplation, and feeling the Reality of your picture—the quicker it will come—into
your outer experience.
"Thousands of desires, ambitions, or ideals would have manifested into the outer experience of
individuals—if they had not discussed them with friends or acquaintances. When you decide to
definitely bring about an experience—through consciously directed visualization—you become The
Law—God—the Law of the 'One'—and to whom there is no opposite. You must make your own
decision—and stand back of your own decree—with all your power. It means you must take an
unshakable, determined stand. To do so, know and feel that it is God desiring, God feeling, God
knowing, God manifesting and God controlling everything concerning it. This is the Law of the
'One'—God—and God only. Until this is fully understood, you cannot and never will get yourmanifestation—for the moment a human element enters—you are taking it out of God's hands—and
of course it cannot express—because you are neutralizing it—by the human qualities of time, space,
place and a thousand and one other imaginary conditions—which God knows nothing about.
"No one can ever know God—as long as he considers—a force—opposed to God—for whenever he
acknowledges that two forces can act, he has a resultant quality of neutralizing activity. When you
have neutralization—you have no definite quality either way. You merely have nothing or—no thing
—in your manifestation. When you acknowledge God—The One—you have only Perfection
manifesting—instantly—for there is nothing to oppose or neutralize it—no element of time. So is it
—established unto you—for there is none to oppose—what God decrees.
"Conditions can never improve for anyone until he desires—Perfection—and stops acknowledging
—a power opposed to God—or that there is something either in or outside of him—that can prevent
God's Perfection from expressing. One's very acknowledgment of a condition—that is less than all of
God—is his deliberate choice of an imperfection and—that kind of choice—is the fall of man. This
is—deliberate and intentional—because he is free—every moment—to think whatsoever he chooses
to think. Incidentally—it takes no more energy to think a thought or picture of Perfection—than it
does one of imperfection.
"You are The Creator—localized—to design and create—Perfection in your world and place—in the
Universe. If Perfection and Dominion are to be expressed—you must know and acknowledge only—
The Law of—'The One.' The One—exists and controls completely everywhere in the Universe. You
are the Self-Consciousness of Life—The One Supreme 'Presence' of the Great Flame of Love and
Light. You alone are the—Chooser—the Decreer—of the qualities and forms you wish to pour your
Life into, for you are the only energizer of your world and—all it contains. When you think or feel—
part of your Life energy goes forth to sustain your creation.
"Cast out of mind then, all doubt or fear of the fulfillment of that—which you are picturing. Should
any such thoughts or feelings—which are after all but human emanations, thoughts and feelings that
do not contain perfection, come to your consciousness instantly replace them by the full
acknowledgment of your self and world as—the Life of God—'The One.' Further than that, be
completely unconcerned about it—except during the time you are visualizing. Have no set time in
your mind for results—except to know there is only—now—just the immediate moment. Take this
discipline—use it—and you can manifest a resistless power in action—that cannot and never did fail.
"Always remember you are God picturing. You are God Intelligence directing. You are God Power
propelling. It is God's—Your Substance—being acted upon. As you realize this and contemplate the
fulness of it often—everything in the Universe rushes to fulfill your desire, your command, your
picture—for it is all constructive and therefore—agrees with the Original Divine Plan for Self-
Conscious Life. If the human side of us really agrees to the Divine Plan and accepts it—there can be
no such thing as delay or failure—for all energy has the inherent quality of—Perfection—within it
and rushes to serve its Creator.
"As your desire or picture is constructive—you are God seeing His Own Plan. When God Sees—it is
an irrevocable decree or command—to appear Now. In the creation of this earth and system of
worlds, God said—'Let there be Light'—and Light appeared. It did not take aeons of time to create—
Light. The same Mighty God is in you—now—and when you see or speak—it is His attribute of
sight and speech—which is acting in and through you.
"If you realize what this truly means—you can command by His Full Power and Authority—for you
are His Life-Consciousness—and it is only the Self-Consciousness of your Life—that can command,
picture, or desire a constructive and Perfect Plan. Every constructive plan is His Plan. Therefore, you know God is acting, commanding—'Let this desire or plan be fulfilled now'—and It is Done."
4 u blu!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

As a side note, this Saint Germain isn't an actual saint in the martyred-and-canonized sense. The "Saint" is part of the name, and he's not to be confused with the French and female Ste. Germaine. He's probably also not to be confused with a real person, unless you buy into the idea that his other incarnations include Christopher Columbus, Sir Francis Bacon and Merlin.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
As a side note, this Saint Germain isn't an actual saint in the martyred-and-canonized sense. The "Saint" is part of the name, and he's not to be confused with the French and female Ste. Germaine. He's probably also not to be confused with a real person, unless you buy into the idea that his other incarnations include Christopher Columbus, Sir Francis Bacon and Merlin.
Some believe that too... No, it is not the same St. Germain (100's of years ago). I was focusing on the message of how "it" talked to him about manifestation and materialization from the the non dimensional into this 3rd dimension. Yet even the Teacher inferred his incarnations. Hard to talk about ascended masters except the recording engineers pre '90. cheers I better not talk about Phylos the Thibeten or Metatron.
Old 1 week ago
They call it esoterica for a reason. This tech-oriented discussion forum might not be the best place for etherous discussion. (Not that it doesn't happen.)

I'm sorry, I aggravated things with my link to my stream-of-consciousness verbalized brainstorming about resonant systems and consciousness -- although I do think the link to the more grounded article on some current speculations in psychology was kind of interesting.

My bad for dragging the topic sideways a bit.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

I write songs because I have to. It's just something that my brain does. I have a ton of songs that I have never released, and probably never will. I played in a very heavy metal band for years, and never paid myself a dime from the money we were paid. Part of building a studio was so that I could do something that involved making music and didn't feel it was morally objectionable to make money doing it. I never liked the idea of trying to make a living from writing or performing songs of my own. Engineering and producing at least allow me an opportunity to provide a service that I don't mind being paid for
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionaudio View Post
I write songs because I have to. It's just something that my brain does. I have a ton of songs that I have never released, and probably never will. I played in a very heavy metal band for years, and never paid myself a dime from the money we were paid. Part of building a studio was so that I could do something that involved making music and didn't feel it was morally objectionable to make money doing it. I never liked the idea of trying to make a living from writing or performing songs of my own. Engineering and producing at least allow me an opportunity to provide a service that I don't mind being paid for
I write much and often, its hard to tell if I have to or its just something I do.

Then something says track it even if its bad/weird or if I don't even feel like doing it.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Like a lot here, it was just something I was compelled to do for a reason I can't really explain. I also had a very strong interest as a kid in writing, which is now how I bankroll my gear sluttery. After trying to learn Morning Has Broken on the guitar, I took the two chords I could play and started working on my own (very directly inspired by Stevens) tune. I guess it's mainly just for the joy of the process.

Not sure how many songs I've written over the years, they were largely trash, but I'm going to keep on plugging away until I hit gold or croak it. Most likely the latter.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny nowhere View Post
I had no choice in the matter. Good thing I learned to play guitar.
This.

Plus I really love the recording and mixing process.....so I pretty much keep writing the same song over and over.

Seriously, though.......my music keeps me in balance. It doesn't have to go anywhere even.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search