The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why you create songs? For $, joy, changng the world or its in your soul? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 16th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
* First my ill-focused, top-of-head rambling from 2016 (very lightly sorta-edited for readability): Consciousness, evolution, nature, and resonant systems… | TK Major
Just read that...good read.

There's a lot to be said for the deep seated role of music in life. Those of us who can actually create it are in an interesting position.......we need to disseminate it I think, as much as possible.
Old 16th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
This.

Plus I really love the recording and mixing process.....so I pretty much keep writing the same song over and over.

Seriously, though.......my music keeps me in balance. It doesn't have to go anywhere even.
nice songs. Strong emphasis on emotions (to me almost feelings vignettes) Remember is strong. The ground on my mic keeps me balanced...lol.
Old 16th January 2019
Quote:
Just read that...good read.

There's a lot to be said for the deep seated role of music in life. Those of us who can actually create it are in an interesting position.......we need to disseminate it I think, as much as possible.
It's a bit of a vague, ill-connected ramble -- well, that's exactly what it is, of course, since I'd found myself drawn into brainstorming what to me were new revelations about how much of our life and even the evolution of life can be viewed through the lens of resonant system analysis as continuing interrelated processes (and it's got fractal-like features, too! ) and interconnected resonant systems.

I used to think of 'reductionism' as always convenient oversimplification -- but, as with mathematics, if your reductist activity is logically valid, important new insights can be found.

At any rate, I'd been sitting on that ramble a couple years (my attempts to explain my approach to a world view have always seemed fraught) when I came across some articles on the resonance/consciousness work cited in the article link I included and, I thought, damn, I'm about to be scooped again.
Old 16th January 2019
Lives for gear

HAHAHA

Thats a mindful - plus resonant system analysis

how about from light:
'In optical cavities, light confined in the cavity reflects back and forth multiple times. This produces standing waves, and only certain patterns and frequencies of radiation are sustained, due to the effects of interference, while the others are suppressed by destructive interference. Once the light enters the cavity, the oscillation is self-sustaining, and there is no external periodic driving action.' (widipedia)

Imagine being caught in a spherical mirrored room with a photon?? New torture? or new enlightenment!
Old 16th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
HAHAHA

Thats a mindful - plus resonant system analysis

how about from light:
'In optical cavities, light confined in the cavity reflects back and forth multiple times. This produces standing waves, and only certain patterns and frequencies of radiation are sustained, due to the effects of interference, while the others are suppressed by destructive interference. Once the light enters the cavity, the oscillation is self-sustaining, and there is no external periodic driving action.' (widipedia)

Imagine being caught in a spherical mirrored room with a photon?? New torture? or new enlightenment!
Ah... but as with (seemingly) all 'perpetual motion' engines, there's one small-ish problem with this -- it seems to depend on mirrors with 100% coherent reflective properties to sustain the ongoing reflection -- which don't actually exist... there's always... something.

But... like all kids of a certain mind-bent, for sure, I spent some time setting up pairs of parallel mirrors as a youngster, pondering the strange world of apparent self-recursion. And, for that matter, the very first time I had a live TV cam in my hands back in the early 1970s what did I do? Point it at the monitor.
Old 16th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Ah... but as with (seemingly) all 'perpetual motion' engines, there's one small-ish problem with this -- it seems to depend on mirrors with 100% coherent reflective properties to sustain the ongoing reflection -- which don't actually exist... there's always... something.

But... like all kids of a certain mind-bent, for sure, I spent some time setting up pairs of parallel mirrors as a youngster, pondering the strange world of apparent self-recursion.
100% coherent mirrors would act like a strobe. Thats not the purpose of this contraption. Or is it? lol like watching Einstein playing Tesla in a winner take all scrabble game. Now I would watch that on pay-per-view.
Old 16th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
The ground on my mic keeps me balanced...lol.

I appreciate that deep listen. Feelings vignettes...I like that description a lot.

Old 16th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

I appreciate that deep listen. Feelings vignettes...I like that description a lot.

I feel that deeply; such as cold hands nice work! (Hate to say but you would kill ad soundtracks) you are focusing on something many are not. I love reading short stories and well I like your short/focused stories on emotions.
Old 18th January 2019
Lives for gear

I've been writing songs since the 70s, and the whole time I've done it out of a deep desire to make a song and hear it. It's really that simple. There have been times when it was a matter of making money, and times where money was an incentive to create something, but the real reason I ever wrote songs was to hear them. The process and the result is extremely pleasurable to me, and the compulsion is deep. When I've tried to put it down, I became crabby and dark. I don't care why I write songs, or what happens to them. I only care about making them.
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kaufman View Post
I've been writing songs since the 70s, and the whole time I've done it out of a deep desire to make a song and hear it. It's really that simple. There have been times when it was a matter of making money, and times where money was an incentive to create something, but the real reason I ever wrote songs was to hear them. The process and the result is extremely pleasurable to me, and the compulsion is deep. When I've tried to put it down, I became crabby and dark. I don't care why I write songs, or what happens to them. I only care about making them.

Like the cross genre instrumentation. Is squee a lucky cat? away away away

I have some similar influences as you I bet.
Old 9th February 2019
Here for the gear

For $, for joy, and it’s in my soul/heart/blood. Changing the world? Only a fool would say that.
Old 9th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus OReally View Post
For $, for joy, and it’s in my soul/heart/blood. Changing the world? Only a fool would say that.
I have a song that addresses that...

Quote:
... This song won’t end no wars
this song won’t save the world
This song’s just
another song
about some guy who lost some girl

This song’s about my baby…
(C) 2008, TK Major
SoundClick Player
Old 10th February 2019
Gear Guru

I'm not one of those "I have to practice my songwriting craft X hours a day every day to get good" people. Not knocking it, it's just not me. Mainly because I only have something to express every once in a while. But when that does happen, I tend to turn it into a song and a recording pretty quick.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Very good question and it is interesting too. Some people have great talent to write songs. At the beginning stage, they try to express their feelings towards anything. When people loves his writing, then he will continue writing to make his readers happy. That's what we call, writing for joy. Later, when he has huge audience, he makes use of his audience to earn. If no one suppose to write for life, then the writers would have an alternative job to earn for life. Obviously, everyone should make use of his or her talent to become successful in life. So, I don't think it's a wrong doing if a writer earns for life by writing. Whatever it is, the people who love to read will accept or ignore it. We have to appreciate the talents and support them.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardpost View Post
Very good question and it is interesting too. Some people have great talent to write songs. At the beginning stage, they try to express their feelings towards anything. When people loves his writing, then he will continue writing to make his readers happy. That's what we call, writing for joy. Later, when he has huge audience, he makes use of his audience to earn. If no one suppose to write for life, then the writers would have an alternative job to earn for life. Obviously, everyone should make use of his or her talent to become successful in life. So, I don't think it's a wrong doing if a writer earns for life by writing. Whatever it is, the people who love to read will accept or ignore it. We have to appreciate the talents and support them.
Avocation vs vocation. It is interesting to ponder on. My dad was a fine artist but worked as a commercial artist his whole life. Some can balance more easily. If you can its real nice. Like being able to sow into closely related fields the rewards, luck and opportunities seem to magnify greatly and are sown with more apparent harvest. The majority of my work has never been seen or heard and might always remain so. But the interesting part some material is just screaming at me to get it out. And that material is very diverse. Very humbling because some of it would probably not have any 'critical' acclaim. Funny stuff. I am just glad I am crazy/bold enough to get it out. I think most artists feel the same way but are very restrained from even talking about kids songs. pop, ditties, humorous or wild experiments because it might impact what they think they are trying to do. I gain greatly from hearing uncompleted or off the wall material. In fact I prefer it, generally. I love looking at idea sketches of great paintings. nice.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Here are some excerpts from an old Laura Nero interview... she was an incredible artist singer song writer. writing songs like:
Title
1 Stoned Soul Picnic
2 Wedding Bell Blues
3 Lu
4 Luckie
5 Sweet Blindness
6 Emmie
7 And When I Die
8 Poverty Train
9 Timer
10 Eli's Comin'

She was dedicated and committed and had organization and the perfect mindset to write great hits.

An Interview with Laura Nyro on Songwriting and her Influences

list of her songs: Laura Nyro Songs, Complete list of Laura Nyro Songs & Music - FamousFix

What grabs me about her is how she got into the zone - and at the same time really had fun.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Avocation vs vocation. snip Very humbling because some of it would probably not have any 'critical' acclaim. Funny stuff. I am just glad I am crazy/bold enough to get it out. I think most artists feel the same way but are very restrained from even talking about kids songs. pop, ditties, humorous or wild experiments because it might impact what they think they are trying to do.
I have been writing and recording in a professional manner for years. Tried unsuccessfully to shop it, sell it, in the digital age tried iTunes, Amazon, you name it - fail. I took myself and my music so seriously, but unless unknown to me it hasn't changed anything or anybody in any way.

(there is a point to this)

My friend, Will Hale, started writing silly little kids songs (which I thought was just preposterous). He started getting little gigs at kids parties. And it grew and grew. Fast forward: he has produced albums that sell and does large events now delighting hundreds of kids and has had so much more impact on this world musically than I ever will. I have massive respect for Will Hale. Not so preposterous!

Not to say I've been wrong all this time. I loved what I produced, I think it's damn good and that's enough for me.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwillms View Post
I have been writing and recording in a professional manner for years. Tried unsuccessfully to shop it, sell it, in the digital age tried iTunes, Amazon, you name it - fail. I took myself and my music so seriously, but unless unknown to me it hasn't changed anything or anybody in any way.

(there is a point to this)

My friend, Will Hale, started writing silly little kids songs (which I thought was just preposterous). He started getting little gigs at kids parties. And it grew and grew. Fast forward: he has produced albums that sell and does large events now delighting hundreds of kids and has had so much more impact on this world musically than I ever will. I have massive respect for Will Hale. Not so preposterous!

Not to say I've been wrong all this time. I loved what I produced, I think it's damn good and that's enough for me.
Those who failed are the ones that never tried. I believe what people do does serve a purpose. I always say the next one will be better and it usually is. Look your music and interaction with Will probably influenced him at where he is today. This could easily be you next time... Someone you once knew writing that he had a friend named Cwillms at look at where he is today. tc amigo
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Plus I really love the recording and mixing process.....so I pretty much keep writing the same song over and over.

Seriously, though.......my music keeps me in balance. It doesn't have to go anywhere even.
I like your response. Not that it applies to me and songwriting. I just like it.

I've only written three songs in my entire life. The first was in 1971, the second in 2011. The third in 2012. So I'm not exactly a prolific songwriter.

I recently wrote something about the last two songs on the Rough Demos thread and shared the music videos, so no sense going over those again, although there's a bit of a story to each.

The first was quite deliberate. I set out to write what would hopefully be a cool song for the fourth band I was in, which would to turn out be the last band I was in. The song was called Summer Dreams. The first verse...

Summer dreams
Visions in my head
Summer dreams
Ah, the words we said
I know, I know
Love flowed
So warm, so warm
Just like a summer dream

We played it with a kind of Youngbloods vibe. Playing bass on the song, I made sure that part jumped.

We were a party band, with us only playing one paying gig. I played bass and Hammond organ, and had a Leslie 900, which I could use for both instruments.

We just wanted to have fun. We had a house out in Seattle's University District and every night was a party. Drugs, sex and rock & roll. Anyways, we'd finish playing a cover song, which, except for Summer Dreams, was all we did, and upon finishing a song, girls would always call out, "Play Summer Dreams again!", which we'd play for them. For the fourth or fifth time that night! I figured the girls must have liked it.

Then in 1972 I dropped out of the Seattle music scene and never played music with others again. Music had been a huge part of my life ever since I was a little kid studying violin. Then suddenly it wasn't. Twenty years ago, music slowly but surely became part of my life again.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
I like your response. Not that it applies to me and songwriting. I just like it.

I've only written three songs in my entire life. The first was in 1971, the second in 2011. The third in 2012. So I'm not exactly a prolific songwriter.

I recently wrote something about the last two songs on the Rough Demos thread and shared the music videos, so no sense going over those again, although there's a bit of a story to each.

The first was quite deliberate. I set out to write what would hopefully be a cool song for the fourth band I was in, which would to turn out be the last band I was in. The song was called Summer Dreams. The first verse...

Summer dreams
Visions in my head
Summer dreams
Ah, the words we said
I know, I know
Love flowed
So warm, so warm
Just like a summer dream

We played it with a kind of Youngbloods vibe. Playing bass on the song, I made sure that part jumped.

We were a party band, with us only playing one paying gig. I played bass and Hammond organ, and had a Leslie 900, which I could use for both instruments.

We just wanted to have fun. We had a house out in Seattle's University District and every night was a party. Drugs, sex and rock & roll. Anyways, we'd finish playing a cover song, which, except for Summer Dreams, was all we did, and upon finishing a song, girls would always call out, "Play Summer Dreams again!", which we'd play for them. For the fourth or fifth time that night! I figured the girls must have liked it.

Then in 1972 I dropped out of the Seattle music scene and never played music with others again. Music had been a huge part of my life ever since I was a little kid studying violin. Then suddenly it wasn't. Twenty years ago, music slowly but surely became part of my life again.
I think I would have liked the song nice fitting lyrics!

oohhh the youngbloods.... aren't we all YouTube
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I like the back story of "Touch me" by the Doors...

"Come on come on come on now Hit me Babe..."

reverse me too movement
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
oohhh the youngbloods.... aren't we all
Happy coincidence - I just shared Come Together on my FB page a few days ago!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Happy coincidence - I just shared Come Together on my FB page a few days ago!
What another COSMIC coincidence (which means its not a coincidence) - I just heard the song : Youngblood 5 sec of summer on the radio! YouTube whats next?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

The stars are aligning... I think you have to work on getting out YOUR original somehow...now
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The stars are aligning... I think you have to work on getting out YOUR original somehow...now
What the hell. Here's the second song I wrote. It's for a little girl who lost her life before her 9th birthday wish could come true. But it's not a sad song. Little Rachel's life and her last wish were well worth celebrating. It took all of ten minutes to write the darned thing.

YouTube
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
What the hell. Here's the second song I wrote. It's for a little girl who lost her life before her 9th birthday wish could come true. But it's not a sad song. Little Rachel's life and her last wish were well worth celebrating. It took all of ten minutes to write the darned thing.

YouTube
All I can say is beautiful.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

"All I can say is beautiful."

Those few words say a lot. Thank you!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
My friend, Will Hale, started writing silly little kids songs (which I thought was just preposterous).
I have a young friend who is doing that! I think he's onto something.

YouTube YouTube YouTube
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have a young friend who is doing that! I think he's onto something.

YouTube YouTube YouTube
This is viral content... YouTube lol
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Why you create songs? For $, joy, changng the world or its in your soul?
I'm a bit surprised about how much thought I've given this last week to whether songs can actually change the world. Mostly I've been asking myself, has it ever been done? Sometimes I tell myself yes, of course! The Beatles created a whole bunch of them. Then I think about it some more and conclude, eh, probably not. And also I've thought, if one can actually create such a song, then why not go for it all? Why not try to create a song that changes the world, derive joy some from it, feel it in your soul and make some money!!

It also caused me to reflect on Rachel's song. If you saw the end of the Rachel video, the celebration in that village was for what was only the first of over 200 water projects that were completed in villages around the world that her last wish funded. Rachel left the world a better place. Her song won't change the world, but I'm so glad that I found it in my soul and took joy from trying to create a song to celebrate the life of a little girl who did. As for money, we signed all songwriting, performance and video editing rights over to a charity in Rachel's name that was founded by her mom.

When I wrote and created this next song, the last of the three I've written, I had been deathly ill for a couple years. I would continue to be ill for a couple more years, but I'm quite well now, and out and about as usual, thank you. But one night was the worst. I believed I going die that night. I became delirious and had a vision that I stood at the gates of hell (In case you're wondering what the gates of hell look like, it looked an awful lot like The Gates of Hell | Rodin Museum ), the Devil had me in chains and he trying to pull me through the gates and God was behind me trying to push me through! Good grief!

If I passed through those gates I was dead. I was screaming something like, "Aargh!! Noooo! Get these chains off me, set me free!" And then I came out of it and I was like, "WTF was that??" My next thought was, "Huh! That might make for a cool song!" A half hour later it was done. I purposely steered it away from my personal experience and tried to make it about the desire of the oppressed to be free, to have a better life, for their world to change.

"Lift These Chains"

YouTube

Not much joy came from writing this one, but at least I can say that it came my soul.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search