The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Master splits?
Old 29th November 2018
Lives for gear

Master splits?

An artist I work with wants to release a song we did together, I did all the production. The songwriting is split 50/50.

On the master side they want to give me 20% and a couple of hundred pounds (non-recoupable) towards my studio time. So no producer fee as such. If a label picks it up down the line I'll come down to the industry standard fee+points - happy to do this.

My initial thought is that we should be splitting the master 50/50 given I haven't charged a producer fee. We'll need to hit 5million streams for me to even cover my standard producer fee, unlikely.

I'd be interested in hearing the boards thoughts on this!
Old 29th November 2018
Lives for gear

50/50 is fair. I wouldn't give up 30% for a few hundred pounds towards studio time (unless a few hundred pounds is more than you think you'd otherwise make, making it worth it).

If a label picks it up down the road perhaps the 50/50 earnings could count towards the producer fee, but that would be generous on your end. Perfectly acceptable for 50/50 master splits until they buy you out with a proper industry standard producer fee + points.
Old 29th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
50/50 is fair. I wouldn't give up 30% for a few hundred pounds towards studio time (unless a few hundred pounds is more than you think you'd otherwise make, making it worth it).

If a label picks it up down the road perhaps the 50/50 earnings could count towards the producer fee, but that would be generous on your end. Perfectly acceptable for 50/50 master splits until they buy you out with a proper industry standard producer fee + points.
Thanks that makes sense to me, good to have your take on it. A couple of producer friends have backed up this view.

If a label picks it up down the road perhaps the 50/50 earnings could count towards the producer fee, but that would be generous on your end.

They have suggested this but it seems as though I get to take all the risk but the potential upside is limited?

I think if it got to that point they could easily buy me out anyway.
Old 29th November 2018
Lives for gear

Its no risk. If your producer fee is 5k and your 50% has made you 1k up to that point, they'd owe you the remaining 4k of your producer fee. If the song never gets picked up by a label, you've got your fair share in the 1k.

I was saying that's generous because you could have it 50/50 splits up to the point the label comes in, and if that were to happen then your producer fee would be in full on top of that. Which would be perfectly reasonable.

The first scenario is a fair compromise though I think.
Old 1st December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
Its no risk. If your producer fee is 5k and your 50% has made you 1k up to that point, they'd owe you the remaining 4k of your producer fee. If the song never gets picked up by a label, you've got your fair share in the 1k.

I was saying that's generous because you could have it 50/50 splits up to the point the label comes in, and if that were to happen then your producer fee would be in full on top of that. Which would be perfectly reasonable.

The first scenario is a fair compromise though I think.
Cool I've pushed for the second option so we'll see what they come back with.
Old 13th May 2019
Here for the gear

The song writing and the sound composing are two separate things, and the songwriting is further split to music and lyrics. So if you wrote some words and they wrote some words you'd split lyrics 50/50, but if you wrote all the dissertation help music you'd get 100% of the songwriting, and additionally if you performed and recorded the music you would get 100% of that aspect as well.
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat1 View Post
An artist I work with wants to release a song we did together, I did all the production. The songwriting is split 50/50.

On the master side they want to give me 20% and a couple of hundred pounds (non-recoupable) towards my studio time. So no producer fee as such. If a label picks it up down the line I'll come down to the industry standard fee+points - happy to do this.

My initial thought is that we should be splitting the master 50/50 given I haven't charged a producer fee. We'll need to hit 5million streams for me to even cover my standard producer fee, unlikely.

I'd be interested in hearing the boards thoughts on this!
No good deed goes unpunished... good reminder to always have a contract ready to go before any gear gets turned on

Hope you get it sorted

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search