The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Producers treat topliners badly! And who owns the song in toplining?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Producers treat topliners badly! And who owns the song in toplining?

I've recently been contacted by producers asking me to topline for their tracks. I've come up with the melody and lyrics and sent it over. They have said they really love the song and we discuss releasing it but then I hear nothing from them! I don't know why or what the situation is but all I know is I really like a lot of my lyric and melody ideas and it's taken me a lot of time to come out with them. Where does that leave me? i feel at the moment I've wasted time and some good ideas and don't know legally if i can even use my own ideas. Can I use my melody and lyric ideas and make my own songs out of them so it's not all a waste? It seems as though producers are able to do what they like with their tracks and use multiple writers. I feel like I'm being used and i hate it. I also hate the fact that producers might use some of my ideas to come up with another song. As a songwriter I'm not going around asking multiple producers to produce my song and then picking which I like best, but maybe I should. it seems unfair and I would really appreciate any advice on this! Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Unless you signed it over to them, it's yours so use it. Tell them you're using it for something else.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The vocals are yours man. What you've described is simply the song pitch game. . everyone's throwing spitballs at the wall and seeing what sticks. Most things don't. You'll hear from a producer when they get a cut with your vocals on it. No one's hitting everyone they work with to give them weekly "fail" updates, that's just the assumption since 99% are fails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckbones View Post
As a songwriter I'm not going around asking multiple producers to produce my song and then picking which I like best, but maybe I should. it seems unfair and I would really appreciate any advice on this! Thanks!
This happens if you're enough of an in-demad songwriter, or have a song a label already knows they want.

Usually the buck stops with the producer though, since they're the one making the product that the label actually sells. Labels are in the business of selling master recordings, so the ones making master recordings have a bit more of the power in general.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
The vocals are yours man. What you've described is simply the song pitch game. . everyone's throwing spitballs at the wall and seeing what sticks. Most things don't. You'll hear from a producer when they get a cut with your vocals on it. No one's hitting everyone they work with to give them weekly "fail" updates, that's just the assumption since 99% are fails.

This happens if you're enough of an in-demad songwriter, or have a song a label already knows they want.

Usually the buck stops with the producer though, since they're the one making the product that the label actually sells. Labels are in the business of selling master recordings, so the ones making master recordings have a bit more of the power in general.

Thanks so much, really appreciate your comments on this! Yeah that all makes sense. It's really good to know the vocals are still mine though.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
Unless you signed it over to them, it's yours so use it. Tell them you're using it for something else.
Great to know! Thanks so much, I'll do that

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search