The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Songwriting with another songwriter
Old 6th November 2018
  #1
Gear Maniac
 

Songwriting with another songwriter

Just curious about a certain scenario. Could a person who writes just chord progressions for another songwriters lyrics and melody be considered a songwriter too? But this is all this person does. Just chord progressions.
Old 7th November 2018
  #2
Here for the gear
 

Hey man it seems like you post this question every month with a slight variation
May 2015 Whats considered songwriting
Sept 2015The difference between a lyricist and songwriterLabels
Dec 2015The music producer vs the arranger
Feb 2016Creating music
March 2016Vocal melody vs music melody
May 2016Title confusion
July 2016
What is a Topline Writer suppose to be
Apr 2017
Writer credit for chord progression
Sept 2017
Proper credit
Feb 2018
What happened to the arranger in the popular music idiom
Bodak Yellow writer credits
Jun 2018
Copy rights

Not to mention there was a 10 page post about this last month which you actually replied to yourself:Writing credits for chord change/ removing parts

Just thought this was a little strange...
Old 7th November 2018
  #3
Lives for gear
Oh sure.

I would write a small part. Then the guitarist would come in and write a bigger part. Then I would write a another big part. Then the singer would come in and write an even bigger part. This cycle went on and on until the song was done.
Old 8th November 2018
  #4
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick Camby View Post
Hey man it seems like you post this question every month with a slight variation
May 2015 Whats considered songwriting
Sept 2015The difference between a lyricist and songwriterLabels
Dec 2015The music producer vs the arranger
Feb 2016Creating music
March 2016Vocal melody vs music melody
May 2016Title confusion
July 2016
What is a Topline Writer suppose to be
Apr 2017
Writer credit for chord progression
Sept 2017
Proper credit
Feb 2018
What happened to the arranger in the popular music idiom
Bodak Yellow writer credits
Jun 2018
Copy rights

Not to mention there was a 10 page post about this last month which you actually replied to yourself:Writing credits for chord change/ removing parts

Just thought this was a little strange...

Call me crazy or strange. But I’ll take, a little confused. If the industry would not change then I would have no questions for you all. Getting into a industry that loves to take what’s not theirs. Like credits. I like to know what’s credible. I don’t have to come to gearslutz for questions if I’ll get called weird. Because 9 times out of 10. I’ll ask the same type of question again with a new swing to it. Lol. Sorry! If I ask the same exact thing for the next 12 months. I’ll label myself crazy! I thought I knew what all these terms meant but I guess I don’t when it comes down to it. Just a little confused bro but not strange at all.
Old 8th November 2018
  #5
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
Oh sure.

I would write a small part. Then the guitarist would come in and write a bigger part. Then I would write a another big part. Then the singer would come in and write an even bigger part. This cycle went on and on until the song was done.
Thanks for the reply my friend
Old 8th November 2018
  #6
Gear Maniac
 

[QUOTE=Derrick Camby;13616104]Hey man it seems like you post this question every month with a slight variation
May 2015 Whats considered songwriting
Sept 2015The difference between a lyricist and songwriterLabels
Dec 2015The music producer vs the arranger
Feb 2016Creating music
March 2016Vocal melody vs music melody
May 2016Title confusion
July 2016
What is a Topline Writer suppose to be
Apr 2017
Writer credit for chord progression
Sept 2017
Proper credit
Feb 2018
What happened to the arranger in the popular music idiom
Bodak Yellow writer credits
Jun 2018
Copy rights

Not to mention there was a 10 page post about this last month which you actually replied to yourself:Writing credits for chord change/ removing parts

Just thought this was a little strange



Oh yeah! I forgot to mention. I find it strange that you went threw most of my post. Read every single one and reposted what I said out of confusion. And you find me STRANGE! Bro! Imma let this one slide on to the next day. Like I said. If we didn’t have snakes in our music industry. I wouldn’t ask so many of the slightly variations of a same songwriting question. I just didn’t know gearslutz had a gate keeper to all members post lol. Later brotha!
Old 8th November 2018
  #7
Lives for gear
 
clump's Avatar
 

There are usually several chord progressions which would work underneath one melody, each of those progressions would offer up a completely different feel......therefore if you are presented with a top line melody, with NO musical accompaniment whatsoever, and you add a chord progression to that melody, then yes, you are absolutely a co writer.
Old 8th November 2018
  #8
Lives for gear
 

I've worked with a couple of top-line writers who didn't like to write in isolation, and needed something to fire their inspiration, so I'd come up with some interesting progressions and voicings, often forming them up into a full song structure, and pass them over for them to vibe off. And yes, I got publishing (and eventually money) for that.
Old 10th November 2018
  #9
Gear Head
 
Oscar Myer's Avatar
The way I see it is: The majority of songs are made up of three parts… lyrics, melody and chord progression. If one person writes the lyrics and another person/persons come up with the chords and melody and they are all combined together to make a “song”, then that would be called a “collaboration.” Meaning that two or more people combined their parts in order to make the song. So definitely, writing credits would go to everyone involved in the “collaboration.”
Old 10th November 2018
  #10
Lives for gear
 

i think you should get credit if you are part of the process that leads to the completion of a song, whatever that part may be
Old 10th November 2018
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Myer View Post
The way I see it is: The majority of songs are made up of three parts… lyrics, melody and chord progression.
like song titles, you can't copyright a chord progression so it's not part of what's legally covered. you can match a song chord for chord and not be sued for doing that. think 12 bar blues
Old 12th November 2018
  #12
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.R View Post
like song titles, you can't copyright a chord progression so it's not part of what's legally covered. you can match a song chord for chord and not be sued for doing that. think 12 bar blues
And I do understand that. And I think it makes sense too.
Old 13th November 2018
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Owen L T's Avatar
Is that person literally just writing a chord progression - as in "F maj/A minor/C major x 2 - have fun", in which case, hard to make a case for getting a writing credit, or are they providing a basic backing track for inspiration, in which case it is long-established practise for that person to get a share.
Old 15th November 2018
  #14
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen L T View Post
Is that person literally just writing a chord progression - as in "F maj/A minor/C major x 2 - have fun", in which case, hard to make a case for getting a writing credit, or are they providing a basic backing track for inspiration, in which case it is long-established practise for that person to get a share.
Yeah pretty much. And this is a question asked to me from an artist I work with from time to time. But the artist is working with another songwriter. And they’re starting to write & compose in a traditional way. Barebone, from the ground up. The thing is, is the other writer only composes harmonies and is not good at melodies or lyrics. And the other songwriter who’s also the artist, is not good at harmonies but good at lyrics and melody.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump