The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Sound Machine 2018: what sound sources you recommend for professional songwriting
Old 1st November 2018
Lives for gear

The Sound Machine 2018: what sound sources you recommend for professional songwriting

Professional songwriting. I hear you.
What do you mean by that?

Since my studio is done, mixing and songwriting skills are fully covered, I would like to go to the next level with my sound sources.

I am not going for track references on YouTube or SoundCloud, I would very much like unbiased input from you on the subject.

If you were to start at this point, and you were asked to make some professional commercial tracks, and you know the sounds from the 50s to the plugin sounds of today, and the analog and digital synths of yesteryear and today...

then let me ask you this: what would you pick for sound sources for maximum flexibility and superb sounds (also realistic acoustic sounds like orchestrals) ?

I am not a fan of Native Instruments btw.

Please stay on topic and provide a straight answer, thank you kindly.
Old 2nd November 2018
Gear Maniac

Hello,

I don’t fully comprehend your question.
If you write a song for just a singer and, for example, a guitar, you need a guitar and a voice.
If you write synthpop or any other subgenre based on artificial sounds, you need synths and/or drumcomps or a mix between synthesized and acoustic i struments.
Everything depends on the style of your music and who you are.
First of all, you need good songs and for every song there are multiple stylechoices possible.
A song can both sound great with just a piano accompagniment or in a EDM arrangement.
There are no standards for choosing sound and a “soundsource” as you put it, can be everything. My cat is also a soundsource.

You just need an arrangement that makes the song great.
Try to be yourself and original. Don’t listen too much to what others use or do. That is what will help you to sta d out of the crowd and what will give others much joy when listening to your music. Music is art and intended to communicate from deep within your soul. There is no standard form.

I hope i could help a bit and wish you the very best.

Tim.
Old 2nd November 2018
Gear Maniac

Technically,

Buy a good synth, analog or digital. Many options out there today and all good. E.g. korg minilogue, nord is very good for elec and acoustic piano’s.
Many plugins can cover this area too...

Drumwise... acoustic drums: bfd
Electronic drums: battery, maschine, tr09, tr08...
Old 2nd November 2018
Gear Maniac

For orchestral sounds, check out the Spitfire range. Very realistic and straightforward for programming. Also Miroslav Symphonic orchestra is superb for quick scoring and sounds great.

Again, I don’t know what your budget is and if you’re a chameleon regarding songstyle or are just working in a specific genre.

I work in pop/rock, dance and classical and jazz/soul music.
Very often I see myself combining acoustic and electronic instruments. Guitars dubbeltracked with edgy synths, synths through guitar amps, replace pizzicato cello parts with turkish oud players... just use what I need for getting the sound to break out of my head.

When you know what you need, you will find it.
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvismydad View Post
I don’t fully comprehend your question.
QFT
Old 2nd November 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
QFT
Quantum Field Theory?
Ah... ok... that’s why I didn’t get it...
Thanks.
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear

LOL! No, actually I was agreeing with you!
OP's question as phrased was indeed rather incomprehensible.
QFT = Quoted For Truth
Old 3rd November 2018
Lives for gear

@ Lvismydad

I work in more or less the same styles. But I want to break out of the hardware synth sounds to have better sounds with more resolution, more depth.

But I dont want to get lost in so many plugins, so I'd like very much some key plugins that provide me the most sounds covering lots of genres.

Hopefully this more explains my question here.

I dont think i can get around Kontakt for using several libraries for realistic sounds but I am no NI fanboy.

FYI I have 2 Kurzweils, great boards with sounds and great effects. So in hardware I am covered, only adding an analogue synth will complement them.

Some good suggestions you made already for orchestral sounds but what for the rest? I think Omnisphere is one great buy for fast use of great sounds.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search