The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chord suggestions for Phrygian Dominant / Morricone feel?
Old 29th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Chord suggestions for Phrygian Dominant / Morricone feel?

I’ve been trying to write an intro section for a song and was wondering if anyone might have any suggestions. The song tells a story and I’d like the intro to have quite a flourish to it … like if Ennio Morricone had been given the brief to write something for a movie set in Egypt… or something like that, I want to conjure a desert scene…or perhaps a bit like Miles Davis ‘Sketches of Spain”…

My song’s in G major and I wanted the intro section to have a Phrygian or Phrygian Dominant feel, to kind of place the action in a sort of “Sketches of Spain” atmosphere. Using the G Phrygian Dominant mode (G, A flat, B, C, D, Eflat, F) to make melodic lines seems to be giving me that feel but I’m having trouble working out a chord progression that both works under the melody ideas but also sets up the song …. by setting up the song I mean I need to “land” or end up on a Gmajor chord that’s the first chord of the song, and I want that landing to be satisfying, impactful etc. A D7 chord as the last chord before the G major is the obvious choice but it feels a bit pedestrian and not grand or dramatic enough when i try it, I also can’t get it to work with the melody ideas.
So, I’m wondering if I should be writing the intro melody in D Phrygian Dominant or some other starting note for a Phrygian Dominant mode? One that might accommodate some chords that I could use to set up the G major.
Also wondering if anyone might have any suggestions for other Chord progressions to lead to the I chord …. apart from V7 to 1 or iV to 1 cadences ….. any that might create a sort of atmosphere reminiscent of either Arabic or perhaps Flamenco music would be great, or any that are just unusual or dramatic, “filmic” etc.

The questions are pretty vague I know but I’ve attached an mp3 to give an idea of my sketch, I kiond of like the first few bars of the melody idea but am not attached to the last few, hoping a chord progression would help me work those out…. anyway, any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!
Attached Files

INTRO SKETCH.mp3 (790.4 KB, 147 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search