The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Please help identify drum (?) sound from description/sample
Old 5th October 2018
Gear Head

Please help identify drum (?) sound from description/sample

Hi all, not sure if this is the right place to post.

I am working on a loop and I would like to add a certain hit/sound at one point, but I cannot for the life of me find a sample because I don't know what it is called.

To describe it: It sounds similar to a tom but with a deep water drop type effect that goes up at the end. Also similar to a swallow or a gulping sound. It may be from a world music type of kit, and it often doesn't really seem to have much a transient strike at the beginning. It usually quite low in tone like a gulp would be, most commonly hitting on beats 2 and 4. Can't think of any songs either right now that use it.

Any help identifying this sound would be great.
Old 5th October 2018
Gear Head

Maybe a talking drum or djembe, I've made a similar sound in battery using the pitch mod on a bongo type drum
Old 6th October 2018
Lives for gear

Hard/impossible to know without an audio example, but it sounds to me like you're describing what happens when you drag your thumb across the surface of a conga: no real attack, and a pitch sweep as the thumb moves across. The classic pop example of this that springs to mind is Stevie Wonder's "Master Blaster" (starting around 12 seconds).

That's assuming that what you're describing is a natural percussion sound, as opposed to a synth water drop effect of some sort.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search