The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Johnny Cash "Hurt" Saddest Songs Ever
Old 28th September 2018
Here for the gear

Johnny Cash "Hurt" Saddest Songs Ever

It's been a while Slutz. Some of you I fondly remember from many discussions. I have a new user name because I'm not the same as I was before. Life is different for a number of reasons, but I don't wear my heart on my sleeve. I filter the pain through my involvement with music.

Anyway, I want to hear about the saddest songs you ever heard, and why they touched you the way they did, and hopefully still do. Genre? I could care less. My own is Johnny Cash "Hurt". The ethereal feel, lament in his vocals, and incredibly somber lyrics, do it for me. A poignant reflection on the temporal existence in this earthly realm just hits it home.

Alright, Slutz...fave sad songs? What are they and share links if you will.

Looking for some serious tearjerkers here.

- Sway Town Gina
Old 28th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sham-A-Ling-Dong-Ding - Jesse Winchester on Elvis Costello's "Spectacle"

Jesse Winchester sings "Sham-A-Ling-Dong-Ding" and slays Elvis Costello and Neko Case
This speaks for itself, a beautiful, poignant song performed sublimely by one of the most underrated singer/songwriters ever
Old 28th September 2018
Lives for gear

Tears of a Clown, saddest song in my books.

"Now if there's a smile on my face, it's only there trying to fool the public."
Old 28th September 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry123 View Post
Tears of a Clown, saddest song in my books.

"Now if there's a smile on my face, it's only there trying to fool the public."
A classic. Yes! And one of the best lines I've heard.
Old 28th September 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
This speaks for itself, a beautiful, poignant song performed sublimely by one of the most underrated singer/songwriters ever
Love this. Never heard it before. I find this soothing. His voice. The lyrics.
Old 29th September 2018
this one's good Joni Mitchell's 'Both Sides Now' YouTube

and this one gets me every single time Harry Nilsson 'Without You' YouTube

I remember the day cash died, I couldn't believe how epic hurt was, such a great song.

Last edited by pencilextremist; 29th September 2018 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: updated with song titles
Old 29th September 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
this one's good YouTube

and this one gets me every single time YouTube

I remember the day cash died, I couldn't believe how epic hurt was, such a great song.
When Cash died...I remember that day. So many greats moving on from this world.

The Joni Mitchell, I had never heard. Wow, That song was magical and resonated deep with me.

Harry Nilson, I've heard this one before. A fave. Haven't heard it in a while, but it sure was good to hear again. Great choices. Thanks to all of you who are sharing.
Old 29th September 2018
Lives for gear
Old 29th September 2018
Lives for gear

Two more from Joni Mitchell - Amelia and A Case of You. Welling up just typing the titles!
Old 29th September 2018
Lives for gear

And how about ‘This Woman’s Work’ from Kate Bush?
Old 29th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Bob Marley & The Wailers 'I'm Hurting Inside'

(Obscure pre-fame DIY single from 1967/1968)

Old 29th September 2018
Gear Maniac

And this one..... Judi Dench does 'Send In The Clowns'

Old 29th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaytowngina View Post
It's been a while Slutz. Some of you I fondly remember from many discussions. I have a new user name because I'm not the same as I was before. Life is different for a number of reasons, but I don't wear my heart on my sleeve. I filter the pain through my involvement with music.

Anyway, I want to hear about the saddest songs you ever heard, and why they touched you the way they did, and hopefully still do. Genre? I could care less. My own is Johnny Cash "Hurt". The ethereal feel, lament in his vocals, and incredibly somber lyrics, do it for me. A poignant reflection on the temporal existence in this earthly realm just hits it home.

Alright, Slutz...fave sad songs? What are they and share links if you will.

Looking for some serious tearjerkers here.

- Sway Town Gina
I've always had a soft spot for Cash. My window of interest in Trent R and Nine Inch Nails was briefer and more intense. For a couple years in the early 90s, though, I was in that NIИ sway.

I was surprised to hear that Cash had covered Reznor -- and skeptical, too.

It's really a searing, burning rendition. He makes the song his own. It's... stunning.

Old 29th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleeden View Post
Two more from Joni Mitchell - Amelia and A Case of You. Welling up just typing the titles!
I've always thought this wintery song ("River" by Joni Mithcell) had a frozen tears kind of feel...

"I wish I had a river I could skate away on..."

And speaking of that happiest time of year... here's maybe my favorite Christmas song. It's pretty much impossible for me to listen to it at the holidays without turning it up LOUD and then ending up with hot tears down my cheeks at the end. Now that's a musical journey.

Old 29th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I've always had a soft spot for Cash. My window of interest in Trent R and Nine Inch Nails was briefer and more intense. For a couple years in the early 90s, though, I was in that NIИ sway.
I was gonna say. . . this is a Trent Reznor song that Cash covered. The original is haunting too. . an all around powerful song.
Old 29th September 2018
Gear Head

Leonard Cohen - Dress Rehearsal Rag

YouTube
Old 29th September 2018
Lives for gear

Alison Krauss & Union Station

It doesn't matter.

YouTube
Old 29th September 2018
Lives for gear

Old 29th September 2018
Gear Head

Sand And Water

Beth Nielsen Chapman - Sand And Water

This is from an album she wrote after her husband died of cancer.

Old 1st July 2019
Here for the gear

Wow, It's been a minute; almost a year! So many good songs to listen to. Thanks everyone!
Old 1st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaytowngina View Post
Wow, It's been a minute; almost a year! So many good songs to listen to. Thanks everyone!
I want to add this gem: https://youtu.be/GKAtM9xS-fA
Old 1st July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwaves View Post
I want to add this gem: https://youtu.be/GKAtM9xS-fA
Listening now..wow, her vocals, the strings, the guitar, lyrics..EMOTIVE in a haunting way. Thanks!
Old 1st July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
I was gonna say. . . this is a Trent Reznor song that Cash covered. The original is haunting too. . an all around powerful song.
I've listened to Nine Inch's version, too...I love both. They each bring their own pain to the song.
Old 1st July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Nice choice! I don't know where I heard this one, but I recognize the melody. A duet for the ages. It will always be classic.
Old 1st July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete J View Post
Beth Nielsen Chapman - Sand And Water

This is from an album she wrote after her husband died of cancer.

Such a tribute to her love. She captures the sorrow; took me down into the abyss, but brought me up again with her hope. Love it.
Old 1st July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitman View Post
Alison Krauss & Union Station

It doesn't matter.

YouTube
A delicate sadness with ethereal presence. Good one!
Old 1st July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:

I was surprised to hear that Cash had covered Reznor -- and skeptical, too.

It's really a searing, burning rendition. He makes the song his own. It's... stunning.

I agree totally!
Old 1st July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazmuz View Post
Leonard Cohen - Dress Rehearsal Rag

YouTube
This one is pretty grim and depressing. Sheesh. "That's a funeral in the mirror." Wow. Sledgehammer lyrics and a taunting melody. I can dig it, but again, it's depressing as h#ll.
Old 1st July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
I've always thought this wintery song ("River" by Joni Mithcell) had a frozen tears kind of feel...

"I wish I had a river I could skate away on..."

Joni. The sadness is real. Good choice!

And speaking of that happiest time of year... here's maybe my favorite Christmas song. It's pretty much impossible for me to listen to it at the holidays without turning it up LOUD and then ending up with hot tears down my cheeks at the end. Now that's a musical journey.

"Wow, they killed a tree and smothered it in lights and silver tears"...a sad song I can dance to. And I can't dance to save my life. I love this!!!
Old 1st July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE201 View Post
And this one..... Judi Dench does 'Send In The Clowns'

Always been blown away by her amazing skill as an actress. Had NO idea she sang, too. Coupled with her acting, she nailed this song to the wall with a passionate heartfelt performance. I want to be like her when I grow up. : )

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search