The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
becoming a better songwriter and arranger
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

becoming a better songwriter and arranger

Hello All,

I have seen the thread below about songwriting literature, and will be purchasing some of the books mentioned (like right now)

My question is really this, how can i become a better songwriter and arranger? I am in love with old (and modern) soul, jazz, pop arrangements that are full and incorporate strings, brass, keys, synth, vocals etc. My interest is really more with the harmony and instrumentation less so with the melody, and even less so with the lyrical content of a song (dont know why, never been a lyrics person).

I am studying jazz piano (well the Associated board exam) so my understanding of music is probably intermediate, at best. I can read (slowly) and write music. I have a half decent understanding of keys, chord progressions, voicing, etc

Aside from critical listening, im wondering if what else i can do, courses, books, whatever.

My dream is to really incorporate classic arrangement and songwriting with more modern production techniques (I realise that is quite a lofty goal) and coming from a more dance music background, im currently working on my first ever project with live musicians. Its been a steep learning curve i tell ya!

thanks for your advice
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Learn how to play many of the songs you like start to finish on at least one instrument, keys being the most useful. I'd put a lot more time into that than jazz piano.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
Learn how to play many of the songs you like start to finish on at least one instrument, keys being the most useful. I'd put a lot more time into that than jazz piano.
yes that is a good call one that i do, but could do more of. Whats prob needed is to work out, and write down all the parts, work out the chords, study it - rather than just learning to play it through i guess

The syllabus ive been doing is good in that, most of it, ie a big majority of the marks come from playing pieces, including solo. I like the pieces a lot but they are arranged for piano only, naturally

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search