The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need comments on how to improve my music
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Need comments on how to improve my music

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Bird View Post
[...] I need some advice on help with being creative and making original stuff.
Selamat Sore Music Bird!

There is an ebook I always recommend when 'creativity' comes up.

>> ‘A Course in Demonic Creativity: A Writer’s Guide to the Inner Genius’ (Free ebook) The Teeming Brain

Check it out and let me know what you think.
This is not a be-all and end-all 'method', but just a spark to get things going.

Cheers,
~HW

n.b. I enjoyed listening to your 'covers', especially Penny Lane.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
That’s a little hard to read with all the complex language. I would prefer an actual book because I don’t read ebooks really.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

As far as making your own stuff, I think the best place to start is to use the form of other peoples' tracks as a template. In general, I think having a roadmap in place really helps with putting songs together when you are starting out. If you know what is coming next, as in literally, "a break is coming" or "loud part", etc., then you have more of an idea of how to shape and structure your current part of the song. BTW by "form" I mean large sections, like intro = 16 bars, main groove = 32-64 bars, break = 16 bars... stuff like that in case it wasn't clear.

There's a lot of stuff on your page, so I just randomly hit play on a few. For Anak Medan Cover first thing I noticed was that it sounds very dry, like no reverb at all. Is that what you are going for? That can be a sound, but do you want some sense of dimension in your music? Also a lot of this sounds like it's played at the same dynamic level. Are you using velocity to shape gestures in your synths?

Listened to the first Pokemon track also. Same thing. Gesture in music involves dynamics, and music exists in a space of some kind, usually. Everything in your arrangement is very leveled, and it's all completely dry, so there's not much separation or distinction in the sound.

Also there is not a lot of variation in sounds. By that, what I mean is you have separate types of sounds, the filtered bass, the high melody. But those individual sounds do not change once they've been set. You can double a melody line, but the double might have a delay. So the line is climbing, but just at the top arrival note you bring in the doubled note which has a delay/echo to it. That note could be filtered, distorted, a different timbre, anything to add a bit of variation.

To start I'd say focus on volume changes, and not just for big sections, but within gestures. Listen to how this string quartet plays the first 15-20 seconds of this music. Starts loud, dips down, then accented note.... repeat... then the next part involves a climb. This sense of climbing is enhanced by low to loud volume, etc.

In the 2nd video just listen to the use of reverb and echoes. Listen to the variation sounds that come in. There is a main part, but listen to how that part is copied within all of the background sounds. It's a very dense arrangement that makes a very simple idea come to life once the beat comes in around 1:15. Listen to how the sense of volume changes at 1:43 for that short chord idea.

Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
I plan on getting some free reverb and delay and other plugins. Usually I use those sounds because they have been used by me for some time since I’ve had FL Studio. I do use velocity on some sounds.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Bird View Post
I plan on getting some free reverb and delay and other plugins. Usually I use those sounds because they have been used by me for some time since I’ve had FL Studio. I do use velocity on some sounds.
There's some pretty good free stuff out there. Check out the TAL free reverb. It's straight and to the point. You might have to EQ it a bit since there's no presets, but that will teach you a lot right there.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search