The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to legally sample popular song?
Old 11th August 2018
Gear Head
How to legally sample popular song?

Hi, one of my songs is a remake of the song 'Hello' by Adele. The music composition is completely different and 100% originally produced. The melody is almost non identical, the only similarity being in the chorus i sing 'hello from the other side... hello from the outside...i must have called a thousand times' and in that melody its a little bit similar to how its originally sung, besides that, throughout the song there is no melodic similarity to the original song.

Lyrically, the song is selective with what it uses from the original but overall about 80% of the lyrics is from the original

My question is, because I want to put it on streaming sites, monetise it on youtube etc, how can I go about this the legal way?

What I would want to sample is some melodic areas and lyrical content, nothing else.

Dno if it helps to also let you know that I reside in the UK

Thanks
Old 11th August 2018
You should contact the music publisher and request a permit to release an adaptation of Adele's work "Hello".

Try to include all necessary info about the release.
That should include at least a demo, or even better: the full production.
You could even describe those passages which are identical and those who are more loosely adapted.

Be prepared that the publisher will allow you to release your adaption, if you agree that they keep 100% of the copyright royalties.

But from my experience: You shouldn't expect a positive reply, if any.
Many publishers are trying to save their catalogue from dilution, because it could weaken their established brands.

For example: There are many cover versions of AC/DC songs out there, but you will hardly find any loose adaptions of their songs, as far as I know. That's brand management through music publishing ...

Please let us know how things are going with that track.
It's interesting.

Good luck!
Old 13th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by susus123 View Post
Hi, one of my songs is a remake of the song 'Hello' by Adele. The music composition is completely different and 100% originally produced. The melody is almost non identical, the only similarity being in the chorus i sing 'hello from the other side... hello from the outside...i must have called a thousand times' and in that melody its a little bit similar to how its originally sung, besides that, throughout the song there is no melodic similarity to the original song.

Lyrically, the song is selective with what it uses from the original but overall about 80% of the lyrics is from the original

My question is, because I want to put it on streaming sites, monetise it on youtube etc, how can I go about this the legal way?

What I would want to sample is some melodic areas and lyrical content, nothing else.

Dno if it helps to also let you know that I reside in the UK

Thanks
It's good that you want to do things legally, however, I think you need to be much, much clearer about what it is you are actually doing here.

First you say it's a:
Quote:
remake of the song 'Hello' by Adele
Then you say the composition is:
Quote:
completely different
Then you go on to say that you sing some of the original song's lyrics in the chorus. Finally you say that
Quote:
overall about 80% of the lyrics is from the original
So which is it? A remake, completely different, or 80% the same?

Next, you say it is:
Quote:
100% originally produced
Then you go on to say you want to:
Quote:
sample... some of the melodic areas
But sampling is using a bit of the actual original recorded audio, and therefore using some of the original production.

There's plenty of history of new songs featuring samples from existing recordings, and also of songs being written to include a 'quote' from another song, but note that these two things are quite different and need to be approached in a different way. But which is it that you are doing?

I'm not trying to be difficult here, but you'll need to be completely clear and up-front with the publisher/writers/record company about what you intend to do if you are going to stand a chance of getting permission.

I would also echo @Carsten Kaiser in saying that, if you do get permission, it could well be dependent on you having to give away a significant chunk, if not all, of anything you make off it.

To be honest with you, it's probably going to be easier to write something original for the sections in question - if, as you say, it's simply a matter of
Quote:
some melodic areas and lyrical content, nothing else
However, if you have used the chorus of Adele's song to provide the main hook for you own, then that's the reason why you will have to pay to use it.

Last edited by littleeden; 13th August 2018 at 02:57 PM..
Old 14th August 2018
Lives for gear

Unless you have leverage of some kind (IE you're on some hot sht making people money), you're almost definitely going to have to treat it as a cover song.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search