The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
When/where do you do your best writing
Old 24th May 2018
Lives for gear
When/where do you do your best writing

Assuming any of those things have specifics; for some of us it's all over the map

But for example, I find one of my best times and places is in the car driving to and from work. It's about a 40 min drive and along back roads so I have enough time to (sometimes) come up w/something or work on something.
Old 26th May 2018
Lives for gear
Wow - 275 looks and no replies. I guess I'm the only one who has times or places that are a good go-to.
Old 26th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Working on a song/track/piece in-progress - On my computer
Coming up with initial ideas - Anywhere but my computer

Time of day doesn't matter but I need enough time to let the music occupy more mental space than any other thing.

But whenever I hear a really prolific songwriter they say they write any time and anywhere. If they are in the middle of a conversation and they get an idea, they'll stop the conversation and record the idea into their phone. I think Julia Michaels said she recorded the hook for "Hands to Myself" while driving.

And I wouldn't worry too much about the views/replies ration. It seems like the norm here.
Old 1st June 2018
Lives for gear

Yes, I find ideas pop into my head whilst driving.....possibly explains why I have so many points on my licence.

My phone is filled with random lines which I dip into sometimes long after they were originally put there.....I also occasionally, but not as often, come up with melody lines which I sing into my phone (not in public).....Though most of the 'Musical' ideas more often than not arrive whilst messing around with a guitar.
Old 1st June 2018
I often wake up with a song in my head and have to get it down in some form or it will fade away.
Otherwise it is usually when I am walking or noodling around on the acoustic.
Old 1st June 2018
Lives for gear

On trains.

A laptop, a small selection of sample libraries, a few plugins and I'm in composition heaven.
Old 1st June 2018
Lives for gear

I'm at my best when I don't think about it too much otherwise nothing is good
Old 1st June 2018
Gear Maniac

For me it’s nearly always fairly early in the morning, say before 11am, but more often in the shower, or when I am walking the dog. I just seem to have a more creative imagination in the couple of hours after waking.
Old 13th October 2020
Lives for gear
bump
Old 13th October 2020
Gear Addict

walking
Old 3 days ago
In my dreams. I once woke up with this melody that I couldn't place. Thought it must be from somewhere. Hummed it around asking people if they knew it. They hadn't. I later put words to it...just loose words...scrambled eggs...I'd sing. I later came up with 'yesterday' and 'all my troubles seem so far away' etc. But all that basically came from a dream.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Like many successful authors I've read about, I've trained myself to sit down and write daily (when I'm in a writing cycle that is) I don't wait for my "muse" I write and after a a little while the creative flywheel turns and out of that flows daily the music and lyrics for 20-30 ideas, which I hone down to about 14 that I finish and record.

If I waited for "inspiration" ..... I'd get very little written and finished.

If you're creative - sit and create.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Whenever I'm procrastinating something really important.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
Like many successful authors I've read about, I've trained myself to sit down and write daily (when I'm in a writing cycle that is) I don't wait for my "muse" I write and after a a little while the creative flywheel turns and out of that flows daily the music and lyrics for 20-30 ideas, which I hone down to about 14 that I finish and record.

If I waited for "inspiration" ..... I'd get very little written and finished.

If you're creative - sit and create.
Funny, that shows how diff people are. I do wait for inspiration and have written plenty. I wouldn't sit and write every day if you put a gun to my head. This cannot be a chore I "have" to do and if it doesn't hit me, I can't force it out. For me totally contrary to the creative process.
Old 2 days ago
It just comes to me through the cosmos like I'm just a conduit. I can't stop it or control it. It's like lightning in a bottle or like a 9 volt battery to the tongue. I could be hang gliding, doing my tax, hanging out the washing or stuck in traffic on the M1.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

What's my best composing space?

Not in the studio......I leave the studio, then I head to the Ocean, I take a walk along an Ocean Trail (El Camino Del Mar) and then back to the studio.....It gets me through all of the writers block.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Funny, that shows how diff people are. I do wait for inspiration and have written plenty. I wouldn't sit and write every day if you put a gun to my head. This cannot be a chore I "have" to do and if it doesn't hit me, I can't force it out. For me totally contrary to the creative process.
Writing music is never a chore - never :-)
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
If I forced myself to do it every day whether I felt like it or not...yeah, it would be for me.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
If I forced myself to do it every day whether I felt like it or not...yeah, it would be for me.
No I get it, I know how you feel, I used to feel the same way about writing.

But I kinda trained myself to get past that feeling and now I can throw the creative switch at will.

The stuff I write daily, I’m just as proud of as the songs I wake up with after dreaming them

To be clear, I don’t write all the time. But when my band needs a new album, I’ll make a start and write daily and it will still take 6 months to write all the music and lyrics.

If I waited for the muse to call .... it would take years!

I find having a great band to write for is inspiration in itself.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Songwriting. Great topic.

My song ideas come in dreams, cars, walking, or just sitting around. The "golden seeds" (hit melodies) just "pop in". Like from Heaven, or some invisible dimension. Who knows? It's like magic, and I'm just glad that they pop in. I then quickly record them into my iPhone before they have time to evaporate and fly away. Once recorded, I forget about them. The seeds are saved, and I'll get back to them later.

However, the golden seeds are really interesting, and they really are the key. When they do arrive, I instantly know that they are hit-level material, and that I've never before heard THOSE melody lines. Thus, keepers. Somewhat like fishing, or dating. It comes with experience. You just know, instantly. Some seeds need time to grow (months, years), while other seeds arrive nearly full-grown. It's a multi-level process, and it really depends on the seed. I have no control over when the seeds choose to arrive, and unlike some songwriters, I never set time aside each day to grab an instrument and try to create new songs (ideas). My seeds just fly in, from within ... or from somewhere.

That's how I write songs.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear