The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Where to go with your music? Dynamic Microphones
Old 16th May 2018
Lives for gear

Where to go with your music?

There aren't that many labels anymore, especially for the hard rock / metal crowd. Frontiers music seems to have a monopoly on new / older bands today. They do not accept unsolicited music.

So how do you get your music out there? How does the bedroom composer get a shot?

Sure, I could use Distrokid, or one of the other distribution places and "maybe" get streamed on Spotify or Amazon music. Do you know that there are 4,000,000 songs on Spotify that haven't been streamed once?

I don't have a band, I have a singer/bassist and I do guitars, I use programmed drums and record everything myself. It's not like I can start gigging out or trying to start a following in my small city. Plus at my age, It's just not practical.

So what does everyone do? How do you stand out in a sea of home musicians?
Old 16th May 2018
Lives for gear

What's your age? You should just get your singer/bassist and find a drummer but do not promo yourselves as a band.
Old 16th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombapdame View Post
What's your age? You should just get your singer/bassist and find a drummer but do not promo yourselves as a band.
I'm 48, little too long in the tooth i'm afraid. Just looking to see what others do in the same situation.
Old 16th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. torture View Post
So what does everyone do? How do you stand out in a sea of home musicians?
The real answer, no sugar?

You don’t. Not as a non-touring metal act without a band.

Set expectations accordingly. Have fun with the project for whatever joy it brings you, pay the $50ish a year to Tunecore or whoever to digitally distribute your music everywhere, and enjoy interacting with anyone who may respond to what you’re doing.
Old 16th May 2018
Gear Maniac

I doubt that there exists a (market)place for us bedroom producers in the hard rock/metal genre.. all we have is each other.
Old 17th May 2018
Here for the gear

I feel that if the music is good it will be heard sooner or later
Old 21st May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post

Set expectations accordingly. Have fun with the project for whatever joy it brings you, pay the $50ish a year to Tunecore or whoever to digitally distribute your music everywhere, and enjoy interacting with anyone who may respond to what you’re doing.
I think I'd make that $20 a year to Distrokid, myself, particularly given the situation. (I may be prejudiced against Tunecore; I found them quite annoying to deal with and ended up not even using the distribution I'd paid for there.) Tunecore has a lot of add on features that might be useful for some, but they are an expensive way to go compared to Distrokid's flat $20/artist/band yearly fee. But, of course, it's a somewhat no-frills service. But they do keep adding nice features and not raising the rate. (Fingers crossed. )

But as newguy1 suggests, I would concentrate on making the best music I can. And I'd certainly pursue friendly networking with others in my genre, making a list of blogs and other sites (that people actually go to) that accept submissions for review (but don't charge money for review/promo). But keep in mind that bands and fans are all pretty sick of heavy-handed, me-first promo -- the kind that so often backfires and alienates. Be modest, be collegial. Try to legitimately interest yourself in their music or careers.*

Don't be afraid to network with your 'competitor' fellow musicians, either. At this point in a classic genre like rock/metal/folk/jazz/bluetrass/etc, a lot of the enthusiasts of the genre may well be musicians with work of their own to promote. Don't let that put you off. You can find out what avenues are working best, you can form alliances that help their fans find and appreciate you.

Do have fun. And do it for the love of music.

PS... You might also explore ways of using video to promote yourself and your music. We all probably understand the 'dangers' of dorky, amateurish vids that try to mimic the conventions of early MTV or the like -- that only works if it's so dorky its lovable -- but there are simple approaches that can get your music up on Youtube (and all the places that YT vids so often end up in) with at least a modicum of dignity.

* There's an old self-help book from the early 20th century called How to Win Friends and Influence People. It was written by a salesman and he was, out front, trying to help other salesmen. But his tactics largely revolved around the notion that the best way to win friends was to develop a genuine personal interest in and concern for others.
Old 21st May 2018
Lives for gear

@theblue1 Dale Carnegie was the man.
Old 4th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

One should have at least 10 'studio recorded' aka 'polished' songs, then get musicians to reproduce the songs live.

Find the best venue in your city for your genre, The Bowery Ballroom?, and play your heart out.

Like dedindi said ..."if the music is good, it will be heard sooner or later."

~HW
Old 4th June 2018
With regard to the 'hopelessness' factor with regard to a once-popular but now receded/faded genre... Plenty of other genres have gone through the same thing, moving from a popular heyday at the top to niche, 'classic' genre status: blues, roots country, swing, jazz, progressive, psychedelic and plenty more that may not have dominated their eras but nonetheless had 'golden' eras of relative popularity.

And, guess what, they're all still alive and the musicians working in them and the fans listening typically still love the music, even if the audiences at shows are more in the hundreds than the hundreds of thousands.

Back when I performed live, some of my best and favorite shows were done to smaller audiences.
Old 4th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
With regard to the 'hopelessness' factor with regard to a once-popular but now receded/faded genre... Plenty of other genres have gone through the same thing, moving from a popular heyday at the top to niche, 'classic' genre status: blues, roots country, swing, jazz, progressive, psychedelic and plenty more that may not have dominated their eras but nonetheless had 'golden' eras of relative popularity.

And, guess what, they're all still alive and the musicians working in them and the fans listening typically still love the music, even if the audiences at shows are more in the hundreds than the hundreds of thousands.

Back when I performed live, some of my best and favorite shows were done to smaller audiences.
The genre isn't hopeless, the metal scene is still huge on an underground level. Multiple circuits and scenes.

This particular situation is what's hopeless, the "two guys 'at my age' doing metal in the studio without a band wondering how to connect with fans and get a record deal through the internet" thing. You gotta put the band together and go play the metal circuit for this to really happen. The best of the bands on the circuit get the deals in that world.
Old 15th June 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
The genre isn't hopeless, the metal scene is still huge on an underground level. Multiple circuits and scenes.

This particular situation is what's hopeless, the "two guys 'at my age' doing metal in the studio without a band wondering how to connect with fans and get a record deal through the internet" thing. You gotta put the band together and go play the metal circuit for this to really happen. The best of the bands on the circuit get the deals in that world.
NOTHING is hopeless,

I was signed to my first major label deal when my band hadn't played together in a year and I was living in a bachelor apartment with no phone, one of the guys had to come bang on my window to tell me we would be touring major areas all over North America that summer....granted this all happened back in the "Record deal" days but regardless there are some guidelines you can follow,

I am going to give you some very broad stroke advice, you'll have to come up with your own specifics.....but your problem isn't your age or lack of band members, your problem is that you think those things are drawbacks instead of advantages....a wise man once said "Why be second best at anything?"

This should get your mind going about a paradigm shift in what you think your "Band" needs to be, you need to let go of all those old ideas, and let go of ANYTHING that stops you from performing and promoting....I can think of many ways you can do this, can you?

I am NOT in favor of the "Tune camp...CD toddler...whatever" crap, my attitude is and always has been: If I can't get someone else to pay for it, it doesn't deserve to be released....the legitimizing that comes with outside investment is everything, but these guys don't want to sink money into the internet try-hards, that just SCREAMS amateur hour....they want to think they are the only one who knows about this unique and cool artist who doesn't give a ****, either way, YOU have to write your own narritive and put yourself in these people's radar, not as a "Please sign me" wanna-be, but as someone too cool for thier **** label...THEN they will throw money at you.

You have to do some serious thinking outside the box and it's still not guaranteed, no matter what you do,

But don't let anyone tell you its impossible, I was signed again (4th or 5th time now?) by a really good label two years ago,

If I can do it you can do it.
Old 15th June 2018
Lives for gear

@terrible.dee what label?
Old 15th June 2018
Lives for gear

We’re you a metal act in your 40s? You come off low-mid 30s now, I’m guessing this happened in your 20s, and it wasn’t a metal act, and you had other band members hustling and grinding to make it happen.

Of course anything is possible though!
Old 15th June 2018
Gear Guru

There's two kinds of traditional marketing, push and pull. Push would be things like junk mail and TV commercials. Pull would be things like billboards -- "... that singer looks hot. I'm heading to Tower." If you're not on rabbit ears or watching live sports, TV commercials are now pull

Used to be, you'd try to get "discovered" so a label would do the marketing for you, and you'd either succeed or go broke.

Now, push marketing is DIY and on a much smaller scale. Bandcamp in itself isn't push marketing; you have to point people toward it. Pay-to-play is only push marketing if you take it upon yourself to drag people into the club.

In my hometown, house concerts are a big thing. Small amps or no amps, hand perc and cajon, that sort of thing. Think "Tiny Desk." You find someone with enough space in their house, hit every bar in town to let people know you're doing it, make it free, and let them know there'll be plenty of food and drinks. In fact, food/drinks/band is probably the correct order of emphasis.

The folks I know who are doing this are mostly folk, Americana and country, but metal isn't out of the question. in fact, I'd show up at an Acoustic Metal show just to see what it was.
Old 15th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
[...] In my hometown, [...]
Old 15th June 2018
Lives for gear

Good god, Muskogee sounds like an awful place lol
Old 15th June 2018
Quote:
There's two kinds of traditional marketing, push and pull. Push would be things like junk mail and TV commercials. Pull would be things like billboards -- "... that singer looks hot. I'm heading to Tower." If you're not on rabbit ears or watching live sports, TV commercials are now pull

Used to be, you'd try to get "discovered" so a label would do the marketing for you, and you'd either succeed or go broke.

Now, push marketing is DIY and on a much smaller scale. Bandcamp in itself isn't push marketing; you have to point people toward it. Pay-to-play is only push marketing if you take it upon yourself to drag people into the club.

In my hometown, house concerts are a big thing. Small amps or no amps, hand perc and cajon, that sort of thing. Think "Tiny Desk." You find someone with enough space in their house, hit every bar in town to let people know you're doing it, make it free, and let them know there'll be plenty of food and drinks. In fact, food/drinks/band is probably the correct order of emphasis.

The folks I know who are doing this are mostly folk, Americana and country, but metal isn't out of the question. in fact, I'd show up at an Acoustic Metal show just to see what it was.
I'm a fan of that type of fan-driven non-venue venue... but it's a bit horses for courses.

A suburban gray market venue that works for a chamber, folk, or small jazz ensemble -- and the generally sedate, well-mannered crowds such events draw -- might not be so well-suited to a 'traditional' heavy metal crowd. (That said, it's been at least three decades since I saw a metal band perform live. I'm willing to entertain the notion that the graying metal audience has become more sedate along with the rest of us geriatrics and soon-to-be's. )
Old 15th June 2018
Gear Guru

Couple things. First, not much of anyone realized it at the time, but that song was a joke. Same as "US Male," which Elvis cut.

And Muskogee as a town might suck, but Merle Haggard's "Live in Muskogee" is a great live record. Roy Nichols and Norm Hamlet through dimed Fender Twins, and Hag in the best voice of his life.
Old 15th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Couple things. First, not much of anyone realized it at the time, but that song was a joke. Same as "US Male," which Elvis cut.
Interesting. Just read those lyrics too. 60 years later this same joke is the president.

edit:

Is it a joke? http://theboot.com/merle-haggard-oki...skogee-lyrics/

Sounds like a legit celebration of squares who stay in line, keep their mouths shut, and do what they're told, even if that means sending their kids off to die a napalm death at the government's command for something "we don't even know what it was really all about" (Merle's own words, and the truth to this day.)

Last edited by newguy1; 15th June 2018 at 05:52 PM..
Old 15th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Interesting. Just read those lyrics too. 60 years later this same joke is the president.

edit:

Is it a joke? http://theboot.com/merle-haggard-oki...skogee-lyrics/

Sounds like a legit celebration of squares who stay in line, keep their mouths shut, and do what they're told, even if that means sending their kids off to die a napalm death at the government's command for something "we don't even know what it was really all about" (Merle's own words, and the truth to this day.)
Old 15th June 2018
Lives for gear

To bring back around to the topic though (somewhat lol), without the Vietnam war 80s metal would have looked a lot different.

A large part of it was fueled by the younger brothers/cousins/friends grappling with growing up in a world where their older teenage friends and family were being plucked up by the gov't to go die chemical deaths in endless search and destroy missions, never to be seen again.

Thus:

https://www.hrrshop.de/bilder/produk...on-CD-DIGI.jpg
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/PULLU4k8Of0/maxresdefault.jpg
https://www.wallpaperup.com/uploads/...b10bdc-700.jpg

All that's the result of good ol' Muskogee mentality.

Last edited by newguy1; 15th June 2018 at 07:29 PM..
Old 15th June 2018
Lives for gear

Old 15th June 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss View Post
For some reason, once in a while you take a random swipe at me. Random, as in turning "my hometown" into Muskogee, OK. And random as in "not germane to the thread."

So what's up with that?
Old 15th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss View Post
Are those mikes the EV 635a?
Old 15th June 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Lawler View Post
Are those mikes the EV 635a?
Looks like.
Old 15th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Looks like.
I love seeing the 635a in period film. It reminds me that it's not about the mic. It's about the performance.
Old 16th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
For some reason, once in a while you take a random swipe at me. Random, as in turning "my hometown" into Muskogee, OK. And random as in "not germane to the thread."

So what's up with that?
What do you call a person who always assumes things?

Old 16th June 2018
Gear Guru

Pretty much what I thought.
Old 16th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pretty much what I thought.
I am so glad for you. That makes me very happy!

~HW
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search