The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tupac I get around chords?
Old 16th June 2017
Gear Nut

Tupac I get around chords?

The song is in C major but has sharps and flats in them as shown in the video. How does this work? Is he using borrowed chords?

https://youtu.be/Wo7qDSyF4kE
Old 17th June 2017
Lives for gear

Its a Zapp sample, 2pac's producer did not play those chords.
Old 17th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice909 View Post
The song is in C major but has sharps and flats in them as shown in the video. How does this work? Is he using borrowed chords?

https://youtu.be/Wo7qDSyF4kE
What makes you think the song is in C major? As shown in the video - and on the song - it's a 4 bar jazz progression, that never really resolves to anything, and certainly not to C major.
Old 17th June 2017
Gear Nut

Old 17th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice909 View Post
Multiple videos say it's C major. On a website it says it's in C major as well. I think it's not either but I was just curious as to why multiple sources say it is.

2Pac "I Get Around" Sheet Music in C Major - Download & Print - SKU: MN0044086
I see your confusion. The link there is showing no sharps and no flats in the key signature - but that doesn't necessarily mean it's claiming to be in "C major". It could equally be, as is the case here, in D minor. (That would be the 'jazz' D minor, or D dorian mode, which has a major 6th - B - rather than a minor 6th. Equally, some tunes in A minor might equally have no sharps or flats in their key signature.) That's the first chord of the progression/loop which never really settles on anything, but I guess the progression always works its way back round to a D minor, so that's notionally the tonal center.
Old 17th June 2017
Gear Nut

Interesting! I thought all this time that the piano player was borrowing chords from the c minor scale into the C major scale. I never thought it would be in the D Dorian mode scale though.
Old 19th June 2017
Old 19th June 2017
Gear Guru

Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Dang it now I have this song stuck in my head...
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

It's a variation on a common jazz turnaround with substitutions; the Bb13 "replaces" the expected G7 and resolves by half step to the A min9; the Eb9 ( a tritone away from A min) resolves by half step to D min9.

Yes, C major (no accidentals) is the appropriate "key" because if you were to follow the progression all the way to the finish line, C would be your tonal home key. Instead, it keeps cycling (as it would if sampled).

All this is going to be over your head if you haven't taken a level one jazz theory course - so that would be my suggestion.

Cheers.
Old 19th June 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
All this is going to be over your head if you haven't taken a level one jazz theory course - so that would be my suggestion.
If he were still around, I'm sure it would be over Roger Troutman's head, too.
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

From a conventional theory viewpoint, the names of the notes for some of the chords he lists in the clip are a little confusing - the second chord, for example he calls 'Bbmajor 13' and includes a G#. I think this ought to be called Ab, making the chord Bb dominant 13. Similarly, he calls the third chord 'Aminor 11', but the notes actually make A minor 9 (no D - although the linked sheet music does show it), and in chord 4, the A# and C# make more sense (in the context of an Eb chord) if they're called Bb and Db.
Old 21st June 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL GREEN View Post
Its a Zapp sample, 2pac's producer did not play those chords.

Sounds like you read that on Wikipedia without actually listening - the sample used is only 1 Bar in length, and is entirely muted during the most of the verse.

I would guess if the chord's were inspired from anywhere it would have to be Isley Brother's Between The Sheets - everybody was flipping that in the early 90s

Keith Murray - Most Beautifullest Thing In This World (sounds very jazzy)
Da Brat - Funkdafied/Notorious BIG - Big poppa

Back to the "Computer Love" error - 2pac actually did have a song on his next album sampling those particular chords, and as you can hear it sounds nothing alike:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js-oLHa5erM

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search