The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UK Featured Artist (writer) Agreement /Contract
Old 12th April 2017
Gear Nut

UK Featured Artist (writer) Agreement /Contract

Hi everyone, please i need your help!

My songwriting partner and i have written/produced and recorded a song (pop/R&B), and we want to have another artist to feature on the song. He will be writing his own rap lyrics.

- What is the norm nowadays (specially in the UK) for featured artists in terms of song rights/ Publishing split/ PPL/PRS royalties?

- Does anyone here have a current example of featured artist (UK) agreement/contract that i can take a look at?... if you can help, please message me.

We don't want to give him a one off payment for his work, we want him to have a share of the royalties since he is writing lyrics for his rap part .... but I'm not sure how it works!.

What royalties is he entitled to? a share of Music,Lyrics, both?... what is fair?

We will be self publishing and self releasing our own material.
So do we buy the publishing rights for his rap lyrics from him and then offer him publishing percentage?! or have a 3 way split for all, music lyrics of the whole song?

I know we will eventually need to have a music lawyer to sort all of this out however, for now i need to somehow write up a fair agreement for this featured artist before we have him record his lyrics/part.

I spent the whole day trying to contact lawyers but the quotes they were giving me are far too high for me to afford to pay them this month and i need to finish the project by next week!.

Thank you in advance

PS:i apologise if this is posted in the wrong section!.
Old 14th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonM View Post
Hi everyone, please i need your help!

My songwriting partner and i have written/produced and recorded a song (pop/R&B), and we want to have another artist to feature on the song. He will be writing his own rap lyrics.

- What is the norm nowadays (specially in the UK) for featured artists in terms of song rights/ Publishing split/ PPL/PRS royalties?

- Does anyone here have a current example of featured artist (UK) agreement/contract that i can take a look at?... if you can help, please message me.

We don't want to give him a one off payment for his work, we want him to have a share of the royalties since he is writing lyrics for his rap part .... but I'm not sure how it works!.

What royalties is he entitled to? a share of Music,Lyrics, both?... what is fair?

We will be self publishing and self releasing our own material.
So do we buy the publishing rights for his rap lyrics from him and then offer him publishing percentage?! or have a 3 way split for all, music lyrics of the whole song?

I know we will eventually need to have a music lawyer to sort all of this out however, for now i need to somehow write up a fair agreement for this featured artist before we have him record his lyrics/part.

I spent the whole day trying to contact lawyers but the quotes they were giving me are far too high for me to afford to pay them this month and i need to finish the project by next week!.

Thank you in advance

PS:i apologise if this is posted in the wrong section!.
Common sense says your chances of making enough dough to make paying a lawyer are infinitesimally small.
If he's writing rap lyrics, he gets lyric credits.
If his lyrics are the only lyrics he gets 100% lyric credits.
In simple music plus lyrics collaboration, each side normally gets 50%.
A producer will either be paid for the session or if he's really good will get a few points.
I wouldn't overthink it. Just do a simple written agreement and get the music made.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_some_dude View Post
Common sense says your chances of making enough dough to make paying a lawyer are infinitesimally small.
If he's writing rap lyrics, he gets lyric credits.
If his lyrics are the only lyrics he gets 100% lyric credits.
In simple music plus lyrics collaboration, each side normally gets 50%.
A producer will either be paid for the session or if he's really good will get a few points.
I wouldn't overthink it. Just do a simple written agreement and get the music made.

I managed to find a music lawyer who did it for £360 instead of the £1200+ quotes i was getting.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I managed to find a music lawyer who did it for £360 instead of the £1200+ quotes i was getting.

Thanks for the advice.
OK cool, good luck. Please let us know down the line how things worked out - whether you'd do the same thing again etc.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

Thanks for the advice.
Still seems a little steep since it is a fairly standard agreement and most of those contracts can be found online nowadays. MusicContracts.com: Download Music Business Contracts is a pretty good example which is maintained by a professional US law firm. The contracts sell from $20 to $100.
Old 17 hours ago
Gear Nut

Maybe yes, but for 'the avoidance of doubt' :D .. and the worry that i might have missed something out it's alright. Thanks for helping J.Good.
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search