The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Writer's block
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Writer's block

I have gone through one of the most frustrating periods of my life. Not often am I unable to put words together. The thing that brought me out of it was having to write a song for my youngest daughter's wedding (wrote one for her sister, kinda had to...), and way more brandy than a man my age should have.

Block busting stories?
Old 2 weeks ago
I can't write words all. I really have to wrestle out songs in general, but I feel a deep compulsion to do it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I believe that "writers' block" or creative block happens not because there are no ideas coming, but because there are too many ideas (and they are being pre-judged - stop that!) or there is one rejected idea blocking the flow of creativity. Let it all out, set it down, "freewrite." There will be plenty of time to judge later.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

It's one of the most mysterious things in the world to me, where inspiration comes from and when, why, and how it comes.

I do think that writing often and getting into the habit of writing is important.

Also, for me, it's helpful to try (if possible) to separate out the creative side from the judgment side. Along the lines of what Dan just wrote, sometimes it's helpful to just write stuff and not judge it, and then either judge it later or show it to a collaborator. I do like working with collaborators... it helps me in multiple ways. I remember the famous story where Paul McCartney told John Lennon that the line "The movement you need is on your shoulder" was just a placeholder lyric and John said, "That's the best line in the song!" or something like that. And that's true, it's a great line.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Here, I wrote you a song. It goes like this:

I woke up in the morning
Looked out my window
I woke up at noon
Looked out my window
I woke up in the evening
Jumped out my window
I got the window frame blues

If you want more just let me know...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post

I woke up in the morning
Looked out my window
I woke up at noon
Looked out my window
I woke up in the evening
Jumped out my window

That's actually better than plenty of stuff I've written over the decades...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Me too.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat View Post
I have gone through one of the most frustrating periods of my life. Not often am I unable to put words together.
I find that after going through one of these periods, I always emerge a better writer, and you probably will too. Step back and breathe. There's no hurry. I often have to remind myself of that last line in the song The Wall by Kansas: "THERE IS NO LOSS".

Last edited by johnny nowhere; 2 weeks ago at 12:21 PM.. Reason: All caps - just like on the album sleeve.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear doesn't kill people.

I don't really believe in "writer's block". I have definitely had individual songs here and there where I get stuck for one reason or another. I don't consider that "writer's block" but rather a problem that you just haven't figured out yet. Doesn't stop me writing something else though!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Honestly as a pro writer, I could never show up to write with an artist or producer and say, "sorry guys, today I have writer's block." I'd never get called back again. So, the first thing you learn is this... Ideas, words, music are all part of a ever flowing river outside yourself. That river never stops flowing. Look around and get inspired. You can be inspired anytime any day or night.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmills3 View Post
Honestly as a pro writer, I could never show up to write with an artist or producer and say, "sorry guys, today I have writer's block." I'd never get called back again. So, the first thing you learn is this... Ideas, words, music are all part of a ever flowing river outside yourself. That river never stops flowing. Look around and get inspired. You can be inspired anytime any day or night.
Excellent post. And it would be my guess no writer is born knowing this. It is learned, as is good songwriting. And it seems to me that if a person keeps telling him or herself that they have "writers block", they are programming their brains in the wrong direction.
L.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post

I woke up in the morning
Looked out my window
I woke up at noon
Looked out my window
I woke up in the evening
Jumped out my window

All you need now is a old blind black guy with a fruit and a dead president in his name playing slide guitar and you have a blues classic
Old 1 week ago
it helps to really "talk it out", like out loud, actually saying what you want to say. instead of silently just thinking and writing or typing something, when you are actually saying it out loud, it makes everything way easier. and it makes things way less nebulous.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I think the main problem was a perceived lack of time, and too many other things taking up space in my mind. I create best alone. I mean alone in the quiet--commodities in short supply lately.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

I write a lot, and it makes for a large chunk of my living financially. I work with, and am close to, many writers. Guys far more talented than myself and who've been doing this way longer than I have. But I've found that most guys have a "work around" to writers block, and its rubbed off on me... they just write more. They aren't afraid to write for the trash can. They aren't afraid to re cycle ideas. If you have a "process" then just keep hammering out songs until you're in the flow of creativity again. Even if they are complete trash. Everything is ebb and flow. You can't always be on the ball, and you can't always suck. But some of the best songwriters always seem to have relatively easy access to their best ideas, even when experiencing what you are referring to as "writers block". Why?? because they have a process, and like any process - the more you repeat it, the better you get at it. Its like an inch worm curve of improvement. what was once your A game eventually becomes your C game and so on . . .

I hope you were happy with your daughters wedding song!!

S.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Popp View Post
I believe that "writers' block" or creative block happens not because there are no ideas coming, but because there are too many ideas (and they are being pre-judged - stop that!) or there is one rejected idea blocking the flow of creativity. Let it all out, set it down, "freewrite." There will be plenty of time to judge later.
Good points
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmills3 View Post
Ideas, words, music are all part of a ever flowing river outside yourself. That river never stops flowing. Look around and get inspired. You can be inspired anytime any day or night.
.........but you can't push the river. You need to immerse yourself in the flow and go with it. I have never had much success when I had to try hard to write a song.

When I find myself in a backwater I just float for a while until the current catches me again.

Quote:
Block busting stories?
I have a very good friend who plays at the market all summer. In the winter I think he gets into the backwater and can't write but when he is playing to the crowds he is inspired.

The current will catch you soon.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
.........but you can't push the river. You need to immerse yourself in the flow and go with it. I have never had much success when I had to try hard to write a song.
Back in the elder days when I was just starting to learn computer, I used Kristal Audio Engine. A freebie, we had a very active community full of some of the most creative people I've ever come across. For a time, we had a monthly songwriting contest. The winner, by vote of members, friends, family, and various hangers-on, would set the theme for the next challenge. Once it was a love song. So I wrote one. It was awful. It sucked. So, on the deadline day, just before deadline upload, I wrote and recorded On the Porch.

This is just the long form of, "no, you can't push the river". If you are stuck in a log jam, try not to get crushed until the rains wash you free.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

Nice song....and a good recording of it as well. Love the accompaniment.
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
.........but you can't push the river. You need to immerse yourself in the flow and go with it.
Lenny - there's a damn good idea for a song, right there.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny nowhere View Post
Can't push a river any more than push a rope.
Can't buy a bottle with a pocket full of hope.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny nowhere View Post
I have used that lyric a few times, Johnny. For instance.....

Don't push the river
Don't spit in the wind
When you get pushed
You gotta first give in

Old 1 day ago
I was gonna tell you that if you were going to be that prolific on Gearslutz, you needed to be in the studio. Lol
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
I think the main problem was a perceived lack of time, and too many other things taking up space in my mind. I create best alone. I mean alone in the quiet--commodities in short supply lately.
Yes. "Perceived" lack. I think back and laugh at the fact that I used to think I had no time BEFORE I had kids. I've actually been 10 times more productive since, because I now know how precious my time really is. I use it when I have it. My boys are 2 and 4. It's nuts.

I also gave up my room when a friend was in a bad way. This was few years ago, shortly after my first was born. I think the whole experience gave me the feeling that I didn't have ("didn't have ")/could totally lose the outlet that music is for me. I realized that for years I could kinda just go in my man cave and let sitting with my cool beloved stuff pacify my drive to create, without actually being productive. It really helped me define my goals and not be idol. Not that I'm somebody at all, but I'm actually getting music out into the world and seeing some fruit.

I do enjoy working with others, which is all I "have time" to do lately. But I really thrive on having a private creative space. I wouldn't want to limit myself to one.
edit: I suppose either way, there is no focused creative time while kids running running around.

Last edited by chinesewhiteman; 1 day ago at 05:51 PM..
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I understand completely. I was a freelance farm and garden writer back in the early 80s when my oldest daughter was born. I had been writing around my son for several years. It takes discipline to sit down and create every day.

My kids are grown. I'll be retiring from my 40 hour next month. I intend to start giving myself a new workday of time just to write whatever the hell I please, for just because.
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search