The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
David Bowie chord techniques
Old 17th August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Don Mcglashan who wrote/writes highly meloddic songs with amazing unexpected chord changes.
Thanks for introducing me, instant fan, very Finn brothers
Old 20th September 2018
Here for the gear

Was Bowie aware of the secondary dominant though? Sounds like it was written around the vocal melody to me.
Old 20th September 2018
Lives for gear
Not a chordsmith by any stretch but i do hear those diminished chords a lot in his songs.

Absolute Beginners
D Bm A7+ C#dim7
I've nothing much to offer, there's nothing much to take
G D C Bm G A
I'm an absolute beginner, but I'm absolutely sane
D Bm A7+ C#dim7
As long as we're together, the rest may go to hell
G D C Bm
I absolutely love you, but we're absolute beginners
G D F# A
With eyes completely open, but nervous all the same

-------
Buddha of Suburbia

D Em7
Living in lies by the railway line
Gdim D
Pushing the hair from my eyes
Em7
Elvis is English and climbs the hills
Gdim D
Can't tell the bull**** from the lies

The key change during instrumental is not subtle but its kinda neat how he used his famous riff from Space Oddity to segue in to the new key (E i think)
The air guitar for it is a bit loose though
Old 28th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
Did some research - were you aware he covered a Ron Davies song on his Ziggy album???

Herr Weiss, thanks for the new resources. I need to play around more with interesting harmonies!
Wow. Way back I guess I assumed that R. Davies was the Kinks' Ray D. I'm glad to finally get the credit in my head back to where it belongs:

Ron Davies (songwriter - Wikipedia)

I've always loved Bowie's version. I can't even remember 3 Dog Night's, but sort of remember Long John Baldry's. I remember Dave Edmunds version faintly, too. Or maybe I'm just hologramatically reconstructing it from my knowledge of the song and Edmund's style.
Old 29th September 2018
not only did he use diminished, he like to use the lydian mode quite a lot, he used it to great effect as well, so that would make it a maj7 #11 chord, I really like his song 'loving the alien' both the songwriting and production, it's a good example of his style.
Old 29th September 2018
Lives for gear

The man was a musical savant as far as i'm concerned.
Old 29th September 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
not only did he use diminished, he like to use the lydian mode quite a lot, he used it to great effect as well, so that would make it a maj7 #11 chord, I really like his song 'loving the alien' both the songwriting and production, it's a good example of his style.
Gerry Leonard talks acoustic "Loving The Alien" PLUS live version with David Bowie
Old 29th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
Gerry Leonard talks acoustic "Loving The Alien" PLUS live version with David Bowie
his opinions on it are quite annoying to be honest, much much prefer the original 80s version, listen to the amazing production on this!

YouTube
Old 29th September 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
his opinions on it are quite annoying to be honest, much much prefer the original 80s version, listen to the amazing production on this!

YouTube
Of course the original 80`s is superb but i didnt post the acoustic version as a comparison.
I like how the acoustic version demonstrates how Bowie`s songs stand up without production.
What opinions pi$$ed you off?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search