The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Why does people dislike it when we post our music on social media?
Old 22nd April 2019
awareness, presence and the light of consciousness will destroy the narcissistic needs of the ego, notice how the ego drags you into arguments and fights, it thrives on drama and negativity....
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
awareness, presence and the light of consciousness will destroy the narcissistic needs of the ego, notice how the ego drags you into arguments and fights, it thrives on drama and negativity....
Yeah working on it, a project in progress

I've been doing mindfulness focus exercises off and on for a few years now, in an "on" phase the last couple months. Its definitely helpful in understanding the layers of your mind and your various ongoing thought processes (many working against you), and in building the brainpower strength to stay in control of your focus. Defining the ego as the past/future voice that uses negative mental energy like worry/concern/fear/guilt/embarrassment to distract your focus and take it from your control has been accurate and helpful in understanding how the mind works. The ego becomes a very clear identifiable force in your mind, that you're able to weaken and silence through general ongoing mindfulness of your thoughts, increasingly as you build focus strength through the exercises.

I still argue like a maniac when I see dumb shht though haha. Long long long way from Buddha.
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Humans are not, by nature, logical. We are hardwired for reactive decision making. We feel it in our gut. Our innate decision-making processes are intuitive, the process largely 'hidden' from the conscious mind. Our primordial ancestors probably didn't have much time to sit around and ponder potentially life-and-death decisions like fight-or-flight.

Logic, like math, is a self-consistent analytical system we often try to apply (with varying levels of success) to real world complexities.

But, of course, counting is easy -- whereas nailing down facts and analyzing evolving processes can be quite difficult.

In order to process those complex real world situations, we have to try to strip them to their fundamentals and then feed them through our analytical process. Throw away -- or include -- the wrong data and your whole effort is compromised.
This little idea is where most of humanity goes wrong... "We are hardwired for reactive decision making" .... my STRONG belief is we ACCEPT ideas (wants egos desires etc. and how did we accept that- where did that come from?) that makes us appear to ourselves that we are hard wired... then use the excuse that we are hardwired. Kind a the duality factor- of trying to see the other side of a mirror by looking through it. If we are hardwired everything is predestined, I have seen a lot of hardheaded tho - of which I was once one... of course.

Its like saying - "Its me I can't change myself. that's what I do when that happens to me and you should know have known it - and whats worse is that you know I am that way... so its all your fault because you knew I was going to react that way..."
Old 23rd April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
This little idea is where most of humanity goes wrong... "We are hardwired for reactive decision making" .... my STRONG belief is we ACCEPT ideas (wants egos desires etc. and how did we accept that- where did that come from?) that makes us appear to ourselves that we are hard wired... then use the excuse that we are hardwired. Kind a the duality factor- of trying to see the other side of a mirror by looking through it. If we are hardwired everything is predestined, I have seen a lot of hardheaded tho - of which I was once one... of course.

Its like saying - "Its me I can't change myself. that's what I do when that happens to me and you should know have known it - and whats worse is that you know I am that way... so its all your fault because you knew I was going to react that way..."
Considering your interpretation, perhaps hardwired was a poor choice of words.

I didn't mean to suggest that innate human behaviors are immutable -- simply that the ability to integrate knowledge systematically, to use observation and logic to enhance understanding of one's experience and one's physical and social environment, must to some extent be learned, just like counting and arithmetic.
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Considering your interpretation, perhaps hardwired was a poor choice of words.

I didn't mean to suggest that innate human behaviors are immutable -- simply that the ability to integrate knowledge systematically, to use observation and logic to enhance understanding of one's experience and one's physical and social environment, must to some extent be learned, just like counting and arithmetic.
Ya semantics are a terrible thing... (animals communicate better than humans)... lol, but they always come into play - like innate - could mean inherent or possessed by birth etc.. or something created by the mind... if they are created by the mind they can be changed by the mind - the other one is the debatable one... language is languid plasma. If you believe in a Greater force everything is changeable...~~~~ -~~~ ....
Old 1st May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpro View Post
I was once asked by a singer I was working with "don't you want to be famous" I responded I want to be respected by my peers. I related this incident to a top composer friend who was going through a rough patch a year or so ago. He said it's harder to earn the respect of your peers than it is to be famous.

That I think sums up the whole gist of the OP's conundrum. One's peers are ones toughest critics.
No kidding!

Just try posting finished (professionally recorded and mastered) songs on this forum. What you get is a massive dose of 'meh'

So you use Facebook/Youtube and you get a some likes but next to no one goes over to iTunes and spends 99 cents on your songs.

Then you hand out CDs and flash drives to your friends and acquaintances and some of them give them back???? (is that a cut down or what?)

What are you to do? Enjoy the hell out of the process, know that you put your heart and soul into it. You continue to give your URL's, your CDs and flash drives to anyone who shows any interest. Above all else is realize that most people do not offer praise for something they like or recognize as good quality, but they complain bitterly about things they don't like.
Old 1st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwillms View Post
No kidding!

Just try posting finished (professionally recorded and mastered) songs on this forum. What you get is a massive dose of 'meh'

So you use Facebook/Youtube and you get a some likes but next to no one goes over to iTunes and spends 99 cents on your songs.

Then you hand out CDs and flash drives to your friends and acquaintances and some of them give them back???? (is that a cut down or what?)

What are you to do? Enjoy the hell out of the process, know that you put your heart and soul into it. You continue to give your URL's, your CDs and flash drives to anyone who shows any interest. Above all else is realize that most people do not offer praise for something they like or recognize as good quality, but they complain bitterly about things they don't like.
"Peers" often go from "meh" towards lower quality work because its true, to "meh" towards higher quality work because they don't want to be outdone and find a reason why yours is "meh" to protect their own ego.

Peers = meh, pretty much period The guys 10 years younger, THEY'LL let you know if you're actually good or if you suck. The raw emotional feedback of a younger fan who still looks up to you can be considerably more helpful than peer feedback, where you always have to account for motive and disillusionment.
Old 1st May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
"Peers" often go from "meh" towards lower quality work because its true, to "meh" towards higher quality work because they don't want to be outdone and find a reason why yours is "meh" to protect their own ego.

Peers = meh, pretty much period The guys 10 years younger, THEY'LL let you know if you're actually good or if you suck. The raw emotional feedback of a younger fan who still looks up to you can be considerably more helpful than peer feedback, where you always have to account for motive and disillusionment.
What about the wife?

She's my biggest supporter, I guess, but I never hear my songs leaking out of her ear buds except for on that day I put the MP3s on her iPod.

As for the young kids, one of them looked at the CD I handed him and asked what was he supposed to do with that? Perplexed I dug into my pocket and tried hand him a flash drive, he shrugged. If it's not on Spotify he just wasn't going to listen.

I'm a dinosaur!!!
Old 1st May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwillms View Post

What are you to do?
Three things:
1 - either the songs themselves are not good enough (songs, not production) for people to connect with them/like them/buy them

2 - wrong audience.

3 - both 1 and 2

Most bands - it's #3

Your friends and acquaintances are often not the audience you should be targeting.

If musicians would actually do something that every other business on the plant does--test market to a focus group to find out if their songs connect with people--and market to the right audience and stop spamming social media with "check out our new song" and other silly stuff, they would be far more successful and see more streams, more sales, and be much happier. But, no, they want to pay us recording guys a kardashian-butt-ton of money to record their crappy song, fix their tuning, time align their crappy drummer, and then just show-up and throw-up praying that someone will find it, like it and buy it; all the while complaining that you can't make money with music, and the scene sucks blah blah blah blah blah

carry on.
Old 1st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwave View Post
If musicians would actually do something that every other business on the plant does--test market to a focus group to find out if their songs connect with people--and market to the right audience and stop spamming social media with "check out our new song" and other silly stuff, they would be far more successful and see more streams, more sales, and be much happier.
This @ dcwave is why gatekeepers in the music business were necessary. Musicians would "make it" today if they learned to understand the psychology of marketing w/o losing the talent e.g. music aspect.
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

I would much rather let a 5 or 15 year old listen to a song... who knows nothing about music, than than a more knowledgeable or accomplished person. It takes 2 seconds for them to diss it... but when you get a couple of wows in a row,,, you know you hit on something. I am not saying I would not like to go over a song with a top of the top producer. Funny how a 5 year old painter gets close to great artists in various works... then when taught they lose the spirit of the creation... and up up with a mediocre rendering career... I see this all the time... getting lost in trying to produce a song... that stays on the 'meh' flatline is somewhat similar.
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Funny how a 5 year old painter gets close to great artists in various works... then when taught they lose the spirit of the creation... and up up with a mediocre rendering career... I see this all the time... getting lost in trying to produce a song... that stays on the 'meh' flatline is somewhat similar.
Nice. This is what The Alchemist is about, and a lot of masters of their craft say similar things, like Bruce Lee "Before I learned martial arts, a punch was just a punch and a kick was just a kick. When I studied martial arts, a punch was no longer just a punch and a kick was no longer just a kick. Now I understand martial arts, and a punch is just a punch and a kick is just a kick."

The Alchemist sees getting lost is an inevitability of the learning process, and the journey is about getting lost in the clouds of information and muddled experience and then refinding the spark of a child except armed with knowledge and experience this time around.
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice. This is what The Alchemist is about, and a lot of masters of their craft say similar things, like Bruce Lee "Before I learned martial arts, a punch was just a punch and a kick was just a kick. When I studied martial arts, a punch was no longer just a punch and a kick was no longer just a kick. Now I understand martial arts, and a punch is just a punch and a kick is just a kick."

The Alchemist sees getting lost is an inevitability of the learning process, and the journey is about getting lost in the clouds of information and muddled experience and then refinding the spark of a child except armed with knowledge and experience this time around.
Stated explicitly! A top ten book for me... I read all I can about antidiluvian and pre-antidiluvian
wisdom... Its rare to find a nice lil novel thats a beautiful read... Tho old blue men or true Toltec saying rings in my ears daily- "Observe what you are observing"
Attached Thumbnails
Why does people dislike it when we post our music on social media?-alchenist7.jpg  
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Stated explicitly! A top ten book for me... I read all I can about antidiluvian and pre-antidiluvian
wisdom... Its rare to find a nice lil novel thats a beautiful read... Tho old blue men or true Toltec saying rings in my ears daily- "Observe what you are observing"
I'm at the "need to refind spark" stage.

Everyone in my life, from parent to lawyer to girlfriend, is saying "just connect that final dot, you're psyching yourself out" which I believe is true. There's no denying I've been spinning wheel about 4 years now, just enough to hang in there but not enough to move forward.

I think its time for a road trip and to put the studio away for a few months.

And yeah, the "observer of your thoughts and feelings" frame is ridiculously powerful in feeling your best, weakening the subconscious's ability to throw you off. From "I'm finding myself angry and worked up about this thing last week" (the subconscious took control of the mind) -> "I see that I'm angry about this thing last week, how interesting, what's that about?" (observing the thought/feeling as a way to take control back from the subconscious) -> "There's no need to be angry right now, I'm going to focus on this instead." And poof, you're in a great headspace. As soon as you go observer, you can feel a compartmentalization happen of the anger or whatever your subconscious threw at you, and then it just drifts away as you identify with the observer of the emotion rather than the emotion itself.

The mind is trip, what a cool hack. The focus exercises I described at the top of this page help strengthen the ability to do this.
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm at the "need to refind spark" stage.

Everyone in my life, from parent to lawyer to girlfriend, is saying "just connect that final dot, you're psyching yourself out" which I believe is true. There's no denying I've been spinning wheel about 4 years now, just enough to hang in there but not enough to move forward.

I think its time for a road trip and to put the studio away for a few months.

And yeah, the "observer of your thoughts and feelings" frame is ridiculously powerful in feeling your best, weakening the subconscious's ability to throw you off. From "I'm finding myself angry and worked up about this thing last week" (the subconscious took control of the mind) -> "I see that I'm angry about this thing last week, how interesting, what's that about?" (observing the thought/feeling as a way to take control back from the subconscious) -> "There's no need to be angry right now, I'm going to focus on this instead." And poof, you're in a great headspace. As soon as you go observer, you can feel a compartmentalization happen of the anger or whatever your subconscious threw at you, and then it just drifts away as you identify with the observer of the emotion rather than the emotion itself.

The mind is trip, what a cool hack. The focus exercises I described at the top of this page help strengthen the ability to do this.
I absolutely love the way you express situations... I am at a similar stage as you... coming from a TOTALLY different road... As a self taught 1/2 a_ _ ed musician etc. with images of grandeur, (NEVER LET THEM DIE) and executive producer/songwriter - never getting to that spot. We know that spot well too. In a great vibe - in a great place... just create or co-create HIGH. Trying to release a song that, egotistically, will live up to my impossible standards on all levels... (HELP!) apropos. Now while Toltec ish meditating a strong feeling emotion / force was screaming - drop all the s- - - you are doing... and release (a crazy song I have in the back shelf getting dusty) - THERE is no way I was going to release that first,,,! It is too POP like ... too simple ... too everything & all it has is a simple one instrument partial track. Its based around GLTICH/Artifact AND probably the biggest reason to keep it on the shelf... I WILL GET proverbially crucified... by future wanna be fans and critics... well... after a little thought... and after a lot of thought... tooo much thought! lol its time to freakin do something... and break the log jam and sink the iceberg. I am gonna do what that force expressed to me... and release this song first... I am back to square #2 for the 10 time... but it is so wrong I know it is so right.

When I was a kid in Connecticut I wanted to start a fruit and nut orchard... getting all kinds of seeds and plant through mail order from hard earned dollar and cents. I would map out that orchard in my mind with crazy ideas and adding stuff like a miniature 9 hole golf course running through it. I mapped out the golf course layout and the orchard worked well, but growing the greens and trees were a different story... I could only get a few greens started and most of the trees were not flourishing the way I envisioned. I had read 'Johnny Appleseed' and tried that philosophy. I took hazelnuts and planted them in every possible area and condition I could think off... by that fall most of them died except a few that were planted in the northern part of the orchard up under a patch of wild willow. I planted more... by the next year they were huge... and a few years after that they had nuts... (the hardest tree to grow were flourishing) My crazy project worked out incredible but not until I gave up what I expected to do. I went in with such expectations... old saying - (if you have no expectations - you will never be disappointed in life) I look at the nut seeds as songs... you created, and plant them in enough areas that will allow it to flourish and if its good it will grow into a filbert tee bearing nuts... They biggest thing we can do is to allow its conditions to allow it to flourish. Set the boat afloat and point it out at sea...

I have -0- expectations that this song will do anything... so the upside is I will not be disappointed when or if it fails... and it is only up from there - cheers...
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I absolutely love the way you express situations... I am at a similar stage as you... coming from a TOTALLY different road... As a self taught 1/2 a_ _ ed musician etc. with images of grandeur, (NEVER LET THEM DIE) and executive producer/songwriter - never getting to that spot. We know that spot well too. In a great vibe - in a great place... just create or co-create HIGH. Trying to release a song that, egotistically, will live up to my impossible standards on all levels... (HELP!) apropos. Now while Toltec ish meditating a strong feeling emotion / force was screaming - drop all the s- - - you are doing... and release (a crazy song I have in the back shelf getting dusty) - THERE is no way I was going to release that first,,,! It is too POP like ... too simple ... too everything & all it has is a simple one instrument partial track. Its based around GLTICH/Artifact AND probably the biggest reason to keep it on the shelf... I WILL GET proverbially crucified... by future wanna be fans and critics... well... after a little thought... and after a lot of thought... tooo much thought! lol its time to freakin do something... and break the log jam and sink the iceberg. I am gonna do what that force expressed to me... and release this song first... I am back to square #2 for the 10 time... but it is so wrong I know it is so right.

When I was a kid in Connecticut I wanted to start a fruit and nut orchard... getting all kinds of seeds and plant through mail order from hard earned dollar and cents. I would map out that orchard in my mind with crazy ideas and adding stuff like a miniature 9 hole golf course running through it. I mapped out the golf course layout and the orchard worked well, but growing the greens and trees were a different story... I could only get a few greens started and most of the trees were not flourishing the way I envisioned. I had read 'Johnny Appleseed' and tried that philosophy. I took hazelnuts and planted them in every possible area and condition I could think off... by that fall most of them died except a few that were planted in the northern part of the orchard up under a patch of wild willow. I planted more... by the next year they were huge... and a few years after that they had nuts... (the hardest tree to grow were flourishing) My crazy project worked out incredible but not until I gave up what I expected to do. I went in with such expectations... old saying - (if you have no expectations - you will never be disappointed in life) I look at the nut seeds as songs... you created, and plant them in enough areas that will allow it to flourish and if its good it will grow into a filbert tee bearing nuts... They biggest thing we can do is to allow its conditions to allow it to flourish. Set the boat afloat and point it out at sea...

I have -0- expectations that this song will do anything... so the upside is I will not be disappointed when or if it fails... and it is only up from there - cheers...
Its so simple yet so complicated. Shaking all expectations like that is one of the keys IME, that's a nice real life parable. Good luck!

I'm in a situation where I have one amazing opportunity, with no deadline or time limit. Its a sharpshoot from miles away though, "what it needs to be" is very particular and the difference between "ehh I dunno" and "I love it!" could resonate on my career life for a decade. All coming after I'm burned to death trying to unsuccessfully raise another project from the dead, while mis-firing on a new attempt last year. Talk about a psych out situation. What do you do when you get that rare sharpshoot shot?? Its like its March Madness and I have to win every round of the tournament.

We'll see if I hit the target. Otherwise its back to planting seeds. I've been banging my head over it for several months (hence all the increased mindfulness stuff I'm now tuned into), not hitting the bull's eye. I'm almost there though, at a point where I'm satisfied surrendering and letting the cards fall where they may. I'm gonna wrap in the next couple weeks, put it out there, and go on a road trip with my girl across the country and forget about everything for a bit. We'll see.
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Its so simple yet so complicated. Shaking all expectations like that is one of the keys IME, that's a nice real life parable. Good luck!

I'm in a situation where I have one amazing opportunity, with no deadline or time limit. Its a sharpshoot from miles away though, "what it needs to be" is very particular and the difference between "ehh I dunno" and "I love it!" could resonate on my career life for a decade. All coming after I'm burned to death trying to unsuccessfully raise another project from the dead, while mis-firing on a new attempt last year. Talk about a psych out situation. What do you do when you get that rare sharpshoot shot?? Its like its March Madness and I have to win every round of the tournament.

We'll see if I hit the target. Otherwise its back to planting seeds. I've been banging my head over it for several months (hence all the increased mindfulness stuff I'm now tuned into), not hitting the bull's eye. I'm almost there though, at a point where I'm satisfied surrendering and letting the cards fall where they may. I'm gonna wrap in the next couple weeks, put it out there, and go on a road trip with my girl across the country and forget about everything for a bit. We'll see.
I ALWAYS (i live by it!!!) "IF MONEY IS NOT AN ISSUE WHAT WOULD I DO!" I learned this hard and fast. This makes me to absolutely have no regrets. It is a great simplifier. if thats a word - The biggest regret I ever had was regretting not doing 'something'. Who knows what tomorrow brings. But the desire of (my) your heart is the the target you should shoot from. (ha zenism) rlmfao. And if we have a 'shot' we should shoot from a position to a target that if/when hit we hit the absolute desire of our heart smack in the center. (The only thing that could cloud this is the analizations of the permutaions of the domino effects down the road. Well then we must adjust the PATH of the desire of our heart to be a more 'flexible" path; IF our desire change tomorrow. Keep you powder dry...
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I ALWAYS (i live by it!!!) "IF MONEY IS NOT AN ISSUE WHAT WOULD I DO!" I learned this hard and fast. This makes me to absolutely have no regrets. It is a great simplifier. if thats a word - The biggest regret I ever had was regretting not doing 'something'. Who knows what tomorrow brings. But the desire of (my) your heart is the the target you should shoot from. (ha zenism) rlmfao. And if we have a 'shot' we should shoot from a position to a target that if/when hit we hit the absolute desire of our heart smack in the center. (The only thing that could cloud this is the analizations of the permutaions of the domino effects down the road. Well then we must adjust the PATH of the desire of our heart to be a more 'flexible" path; IF our desire change tomorrow. Keep you powder dry...
That's the hard part though. The true desire of my heart is buried under years of "making ends meet" off music. The mindfulness is an attempt to get to the heart's desire without taking a break from the situation. I may need a break though.

I'm essentially 3/4 of the way through the Alchemist journey, and its time to step up and turn into the tornado to get past the tribe. And I'm Santiago with no idea how to turn into the tornado but the opportunity that requires it is right there, and I have more than everything I need to pull it off.
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's the hard part though. The true desire of my heart is buried under years of "making ends meet" off music. The mindfulness is an attempt to get to the heart's desire without taking a break from the situation. I may need a break though.

I'm essentially 3/4 of the way through the Alchemist journey, and its time to step up and turn into the tornado to get past the tribe. And I'm Santiago with no idea how to turn into the tornado but the opportunity that requires it is right there, and I have more than everything I need to pull it off.
HAHA well said. We can always ask Don Juan Matus or his mentor... I think it was Osiris...
or the modern day Ken Eagle Feather... the great Toltec teacher of modern day... he is reachable. But yea I know life happens and that is always the biggest obstacle. To have that oh so important crystal clear clarity (which is a must) we must distance ourselves from that 'life' stuff. In the day it was LSD or such... and now its just getting to that tranquil vibe spot ,,, like a Sedona AZ... I am lucky here I have the vast Rockies... One day in the MTNS will clear all the city chatter patterns out of ya... or jumpin into a 40 degree lake... or swimming in the ocean at hurricane time.
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
HAHA well said. We can always ask Don Juan Matus or his mentor... I think it was Osiris...
or the modern day Ken Eagle Feather... the great Toltec teacher of modern day... he is reachable. But yea I know life happens and that is always the biggest obstacle. To have that oh so important crystal clear clarity (which is a must) we must distance ourselves from that 'life' stuff. In the day it was LSD or such... and now its just getting to that tranquil vibe spot ,,, like a Sedona AZ... I am lucky here I have the vast Rockies... One day in the MTNS will clear all the city chatter patterns out of ya... or jumpin into a 40 degree lake... or swimming in the ocean at hurricane time.
Its essentially an Imagine Dragons style production but a bit more dark and needs to be a bit more rock legit. I need to just suck it up and get it done and stop worry about metaphoric tornado transformation

I've never felt so drained and muddied though after the last year. Rrrgh. Today I was ready to go but apparently had used up 2tb's of space much sooner than I expected. So waiting around for hard drives to move files. 2 million guitar takes will do that apparently.
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear
"Why does people" Hahahahha....

Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Its essentially an Imagine Dragons style production but a bit more dark and needs to be a bit more rock legit. I need to just suck it up and get it done and stop worry about metaphoric tornado transformation

I've never felt so drained and muddied though after the last year. Rrrgh. Today I was ready to go but apparently had used up 2tb's of space much sooner than I expected. So waiting around for hard drives to move files. 2 million guitar takes will do that apparently.
Hey I went to my sanctuary - (my garage.. where no on dare goes..) I got a metaphorical 'hit' for you... (by hit I mean spiritual hit or flash about what you are talking about) Of course its Toltec: 1st define your INTENT/[secondary; the songs intent] 2nd define the PURPOSE 3rd define the CLARITY.

This will get rid of all the unintended unclear crap. (by the way huge fan of Imagine Dragons in some of their areas) Recently I was releasing a test video for song track on youtube. Its main intent was to lighten someones day with out of the box sounds with juxtaposed slide show images. WELL I am a film maker and I said what if... So I spent 1 whole week getting a visually mind blowing film short - In my head I nailed it I knew I nailed a 10! I was patting myself on the back... I showed just 2 people and they went OMG! But when I added the sound track and I went UGH... wha happened. I scratched my head and took a break. I asked my self what was the INTENT. I skewed there... what was the purpose - I screwed up there... I went back and edited the original slide show to fit the soundtrack music. The sound was what I needed to put on the pedestal - every thing was to be sacrificed for that intent and purpose. I blue colored the thing home,,,, I wasted 1 week and alot of egotiscal energy sidetracking myself. The film was more powerful than the sound... I hope I stay on my track now... I now have it written all over my den and home recording area... INTENT PURPOSE CLARITY then I added FOCUS/UNFOCUS.

One other idea is can you find one EVOLVED producer to soundboard your ideas off of? I haven't found one in years... so I am solo... Must be able to really trust them... someone who will sacrifice all for getting the song to where it needs without ego. I soundboard with 2 or 3 5 year olds... They are (at this moment) the only ones I trust... I mean with honesty.

Back a while I released 3 artists in a genre I had no idea about. I heard their materials and in my heart I loved the material as well as the artists professionality. I knew they had a sound to hit # 1 on radio stations genres AND the only job I had to do is to FIND what stations fit this type of music... They gave me the tapes - and I worked and dove-tailed a campaign to get them to #1 on as many stations as I could. Since I knew nothing about the genre - station managers were shocked of what type of support I gave them... [it was madison ave stuff] but they thought I went way out of my way to cater an honor them... when in fact I didn't... I just did the only thing that I knew how and it was not even close to what the major record companies sent them... well polished from a graphic art world they never saw before. WE reached all of our goals. I really laughed when I saw Warners press kit laid along side mine --- wow they were not even close. I sent a 1 - 2 pound kit with all kinds of crap no station ever saw let alone receive before... And I am so glad Iwas such an idiot lol. Here I think your focus should be that one song... and having the clarity of what is the MOST important element of that song is... Get that nailed. All the sound/tracks SHOULD support that... I tend to move too quick and add too much... but with my first song... I have this lil keyboard melody rhythm - all else takes back seat or trashcan to that. Now I am working in the lyrics... every vocal MUST support that stupid ditty keys sound. All the meaning of the words must support it or they are gone.. If I do not stray from this 2 ingredient recipe I can not miss.... because its easy to add a 3rd ingredient without affecting the 1st 2 . I pray I don't stray.... help. bless
Old 3rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Yes good advice. Its been similar to your video project for me, in a different way. I have a very very strong, well known, highly particular vocalist, who worked with me for something different than what he's known for. The vocal brings such a strong and particular presence it's tough to find where exactly I meet him. The song itself is solid and has a clear place in the world, but it can't trigger "not quite right" in any way at all or it falls short of what this guy is known for and I'll get the "Ehhh. . its cool I guess" reaction which is death. I have to match his level.

So the thing that needs to be supported isn't something from me. This isn't "I sent 10 ideas out to 10 people, who sent me 10 collabs back, and this the one that best fits" and then it all wraps nicely.

I'm still searching for that thing, the "me" to bring to the equation. Its tough, 1. be cause I'm such a fan of this guy and his sound its hard to hear him outside of it and 2. my explorative creative energy is low after last year. But if I can put this puzzle together I'll have unearthed something very very cool and respectable that I'll legitimately be into myself (I hate to say this is often not the case in a "make music to eat" life), that has a clear place in the world that will be helpful to people (there's an x-factor to the whole thing I can't talk about here), that will attract others like him to want to do other stuff in the same vein down the road, which would be a lot of fun to me. Just need to iron out exactly what it all is.

I think I'm close though. I have great scraps everywhere now from the various versions I've tried, I just need to pull it all together.
Old 3rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes good advice. Its been similar to your video project for me, in a different way. I have a very very strong, well known, highly particular vocalist, who worked with me for something different than what he's known for. The vocal brings such a strong and particular presence it's tough to find where exactly I meet him. The song itself is solid and has a clear place in the world, but it can't trigger "not quite right" in any way at all or it falls short of what this guy is known for and I'll get the "Ehhh. . its cool I guess" reaction which is death. I have to match his level.

So the thing that needs to be supported isn't something from me. This isn't "I sent 10 ideas out to 10 people, who sent me 10 collabs back, and this the one that best fits" and then it all wraps nicely.

I'm still searching for that thing, the "me" to bring to the equation. Its tough, 1. be cause I'm such a fan of this guy and his sound its hard to hear him outside of it and 2. my explorative creative energy is low after last year. But if I can put this puzzle together I'll have unearthed something very very cool and respectable that I'll legitimately be into myself (I hate to say this is often not the case in a "make music to eat" life), that has a clear place in the world that will be helpful to people (there's an x-factor to the whole thing I can't talk about here), that will attract others like him to want to do other stuff in the same vein down the road, which would be a lot of fun to me. Just need to iron out exactly what it all is.

I think I'm close though. I have great scraps everywhere now from the various versions I've tried, I just need to pull it all together.
I hear ya... that you you bring to the table IS the j'nes c'est qua its not just one thing its everything ... but ya wanna bring that gold nugget too... and just place it on the table... you know this situation warrants it. - for me the hardest thing is bringing a gold nugget guitar piece - which for me is so frustrating that I stay away from it... if i have to i will bring an amp with a broken speaker cut the speaker cone with a knife and crank overdrive an stuff... I have a hard time matching clean guitar strings to songs,,, but i can get it there eazy with out the guitar sound....rlol.
Old 5th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
Ah, well, the reason why is you're already famous. Not Beatles of Lady Gaga famous (see what I did there), but famous enough that people who don't know you know you. That's enough transferrence that an endorsement by family and friends is acceptable, and they can acknowledge that 1.) you exist, musically, and 2.) you're actually worth listening to.

No, it's worse. It's when they post it on their own account that their f&f can see, and still nobody responds - even if total strangers do.

PMing is like asking someone to be your therapist, and posting on someone's wall is grounds for social banishment. Amateurs rarely do either of these to each other. They do it to you because you're famous (enough - remember, it's relative).
Well I’m not famous but ok. I’m lame though because I guess I never looked back at this thread. Thank you for the kind words.

People get weird about music. It’s such a personal thing. People’s taste in music can start wars. But I’ve seen in music forums someone posting something good gets no response, but sometimes someone posts something pretty banal and amateurish gets a lot of atta boys, and good jobs and keep ‘em coming!

The really good one is intimidating. That’s my theory anyway. It makes the other people on the forum, not necessarily this one, feel inadequate or mediocre. But the other, the amateur, gives them personal confidence.

People often resent the efforts of others to succeed.
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Hey man, if you need another pair of ears, feel free to shoot me an email (you can find it on my website).
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

So I have a "perfect" nice and safe and classic version, according to a few A&R I'm running things by before pulling the trigger. That's where the j'nes c'est qua lead. I'm telling you, I'm burnt.

There's an opportunity for a risk that will sully the production and give it a solid and clear artistic identity, rather than a display of production and instrumental skill that perfectly supports the vocal. The former could result in much more interest among younger fans and open up a lot more opportunity down the road and define me as an artistic producer. The latter will attract older artists wanting a "perfect" more adult contemporary type approach where everything feels nice but there's less of a statement being made.

How to find this?? I have another week or two before I need to surrender.
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
So I have a "perfect" nice and safe and classic version, according to a few A&R I'm running things by before pulling the trigger. That's where the j'nes c'est qua lead. I'm telling you, I'm burnt.

There's an opportunity for a risk that will sully the production and give it a solid and clear artistic identity, rather than a display of production and instrumental skill that perfectly supports the vocal. The former could result in much more interest among younger fans and open up a lot more opportunity down the road and define me as an artistic producer. The latter will attract older artists wanting a "perfect" more adult contemporary type approach where everything feels nice but there's less of a statement being made.

How to find this?? I have another week or two before I need to surrender.
We are pulling for you... (straddling camels and wrestling elephants) The main INTENT, pick the one element that is head and shoulders above the rest in regards to your intent or the projects intent. Try to clarify that INTENT even if you are not going to head in that direction... pick that element and see how everything else will/is support(ing) it, or compliment it or contrast it. Define how individual secondary parts support/compliments/contrasts the chosen element that represents the INTENT. Clarify and focus on the lil parts... ya can do it. Oh yea take a break and jump in a cold river now an then.
Old 26th June 2019
Lives for gear

Happy to report its a success I'm excited by where I ended up, and those I needed to be excited are excited. The answer was right in front of my eyes from the beginning.

Should be a noteworthy release within a year.
Old 26th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Happy to report its a success I'm excited by where I ended up, and those I needed to be excited are excited. The answer was right in front of my eyes from the beginning.

Should be a noteworthy release within a year.
MMMM...I can't wait to hear it!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search