The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Why does people dislike it when we post our music on social media?
Old 12th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
I just read the OP, not the rest. And since the thread is almost 4 years old who knows how relevant what I have to say is. First I’m glad to say I don’t get that response.
Ah, well, the reason why is you're already famous. Not Beatles of Lady Gaga famous (see what I did there), but famous enough that people who don't know you know you. That's enough transferrence that an endorsement by family and friends is acceptable, and they can acknowledge that 1.) you exist, musically, and 2.) you're actually worth listening to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
Second one reason might be I NEVER post it on someone else’s wall or do anything unsolicited. I just post a song on MY Facebook page.

What I CAN’T STAND is people PMing me a song or posting something on my wall. Sorry I pretty much only go Facebook. I find it rude and will delete it immediately.

Is this what the OP was referring to?
No, it's worse. It's when they post it on their own account that their f&f can see, and still nobody responds - even if total strangers do.

PMing is like asking someone to be your therapist, and posting on someone's wall is grounds for social banishment. Amateurs rarely do either of these to each other. They do it to you because you're famous (enough - remember, it's relative).
Old 12th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
Follow these basic principals and there is no nose that will not welcome your windmilling member...
Poetry.

And to follow up, go to an open mic sometime. Suffer through a few "artistes" and you might be lucky enough to see someone who only wants to get up there and entertain. People will go nuts.

I say "you might be lucky enough" because you probably won't.
Old 12th April 2019
[I wrote this about a week ago but thought twice about posting it for a few reasons, checked with an online friend from this forum to see what he thought and finally decided to put it up -- with the proviso that not every approach is going to work equally well for everyone and with the hope that perhaps some people can draw their own lessons and find similar strategies that might work for them...]

Like probably everyone else here, I've had the experience of posting a track on Facebook or other social media where my friends are -- to little or sometimes no apparent reaction.

I chalk it up to:
a) I'm not everyone's cup of tea as a singer-songwriter (especially as a 'singer');
b) a lot of my 3DW friends are experienced music biz denizens, many of them are very good musicians and have fairly extensive professional experience and have busy lives;
c) they may not like the genre(s) I tend to have worked in;
d) they came to FB (or wherever) to socialize, chat about politics, look at pix of people's breakfasts (just kidding on the last);
e) like, me, at that moment they may well be already listening to music they don't want to take off or pause to jump just to listen to my latest track;
and/or f) they may be, like me, procrastinators... 'I'll try to listen tomorrow!'

So, like most of us, I guess, I've been there....

But one thing I have had some luck with and seems to be paying off in traffic is the folkie/songwriter/quasi-autobiographical blog/podcast I started back in 2005. Not everyone is an enthusiastic writer/blogger, of course, but the point is not so much to provide reading material as to provide changing content with potential interest to a broader spectrum -- and tie it to your music in such a way that it might encourage some listens. I don't tend to write long stuff for my blog -- I think folks are most likely to dip in if they can see the bottom (so to speak). Such a write-up could be anything vaguely pertinent to the song, a story about its writing or recording, an anecdote drawn from a performance, even a joke.

And it doesn't have to be writing... a photo, a live performance video, something to draw the web surfer in, some bit of new content that can keep your blog/podcast fresh.

Instead of 'push' (with all the potentially negative baggage we've discussed in this thread), it's more 'pull.'

In my case, I've used (hopefully) eye-catching graphics as well as often either writing about the writing of the song in question -- or maybe a bit more of a 'pull' -- writing a brief story (true, semi-true, or completely fabricated) as a companion for the track.

(That said, the tracks folks are listening to via that venue are mostly really sloppy, slapdash acoustic efforts. But as I finally move my produced tracks into the streamosphere, I have a natural tie in... I did most of my ~165 songs a few times for the blog, I plan on doing fresh acoustic versions but also adding inset boxes to the existing, pertinent pages, highlighting a given track's availability across platforms.)

In my case, we're not talking about hundreds of unique visitors a day -- more like 25-50 'uniques' most days -- but that's more than nothing -- and, though it seems cyclical for reasons beyond my ken, visitors to my blog seem to average about 4 pages per visit -- typically totallying between 100 and 200 page views most days. Those are folks who otherwise might not hear my music or read my writing. And, having been up over a decade, it adds up. Those mostly sloppy acoustic tracks have been streamed/downloaded over 3/4 of a million times. (No doubt to 749,000 people going, 'Ewww!' but, hey, at least I usually spelled my name right.)

Last edited by theblue1; 12th April 2019 at 05:52 PM..
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

Good stuff blue1.

You're GIVING value, and thus getting value in return. Not just taking value or begging for it. That's a key to getting noticed for sure. So many people come from a take take take approach. Nothing but another avatar on a timeline begging for free clicks.

If you give value to the world, it'll come back to you. People will check out the music of people they feel enrich their lives, and will listen to it from a place of seeking to appreciate, because you've established yourself as someone who provides enrichment and thus deserves appreciation.
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

@ theblue1 you seem to get the pull-push theory right if you recall

How often should upcoming artists release music? - Future Producers forums
Old 12th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
Good stuff blue1.

You're GIVING value, and thus getting value in return. Not just taking value or begging for it. That's a key to getting noticed for sure. So many people come from a take take take approach. Nothing but another avatar on a timeline begging for free clicks.

If you give value to the world, it'll come back to you. People will check out the music of people they feel enrich their lives, and will listen to it from a place of seeking to appreciate, because you've established yourself as someone who provides enrichment and thus deserves appreciation.
Ha... I think more of it as tricking them into listening.

It's something I got into on the old Mp3.com in the late 90s. It was an exciting time and place, in that there were all these people, most of whom had felt frozen out of the mainstream music biz. And, while there were certainly a number of non-musicians who frequented the place, there was no question that many (maybe even most) of the people there (or at least active in their forums) were musicians eager to try to claim their spot in the sun.

People were excited to finally have someplace where they could get heard -- and many seemed genuinely excited to also be hearing sometimes quite unique music from other unknown artists -- but the competition, collegial or not, was pretty fierce. (And it got fiercer after the site started paying artists a few pennies for each download. Oh, boy, did it. Cue bored Russian computer system administrators setting up robotized networks to gin up fake listens... a couple of Russian outfits pumping out generic techno made millions, IIRC, only to be 'busted' for their schemes and not get the dough.)

Much of what music discovery at Mp3.com was was by way of the pretty wide-open visitor bulletin boards there. Early on I started using images paired with tracks, and then little vignettes/microfiction type things. (I didn't earn millions, for sure... but, for a while, most days a week, my Mp3.com revenue would pay for a double depth charge -- two shots of espresso in a mug of French roast coffee -- and often a bagel at the local coffee joint I frequented.)

Anyhow, I was a little reluctant to post about this because I know that most folks aren't the fast-typing, garrulous ramblers that I am. But the key isn't so much any one sort of content -- you can help personalize your music and your 'act' with all sorts of shared stuff: photos, videos, stories, even write-ups of other people's music or art. A lot of us are private and don't feel comfortable sharing our personal details. (That's where fiction can be so powerful, freeing one from self-consciousness, while also giving one the freedom to get artful with the storyline, perhaps tinkering the storytelling to better serve the inner truth of the story.)

The trick, I guess, is to intrigue, to give insight into other lives, other ways of looking at things. Or, sometimes, to just string folks along with a good story.
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Ha... I think more of it as tricking them into listening.
Depends on your intention I guess

Same action -> reaction either way. Give value (nefariously or purely lol)-> value comes back.
Old 15th April 2019
People who make sweeping pronouncements about the inner lives of those they don't know almost always start out with -- or end up with -- their heads so far up their own asses they ought to be able to see daylight. If they could see at all.
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

better to see sweepers pronouncing people. like op said its the polarization effect. It all kinda fits... polarization/global warming. Its just the other side of a side.
Old 16th April 2019
Here for the gear

It has already been said by others in this thread, but with my own words:

I personally always avoided to publish my music to my friends. The taste of music is so diverse, that it is really not likely, that a major part of your friends like your music.

At least in my case I would expect, that roughly 25% of my friends are listening to pop-rock, 25% to electronic-pop, 25% to more special stuff like rap or metal and the remaining share of 25% is not caring about music at all.

That means: whatever I publish - at least 75% of my friends feel spammed. And even the remaining 25% may not like the specific song, even if it's the right genre. And if you spam them too often, they may will unfollow you.

So I always avoided to see my friends as a potential market for my products. If they come to me actively - nice. But i would never spam them.

Last edited by Julez; 16th April 2019 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: Just discovered that this thread has more than 1 page XD
Old 17th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez View Post
It has already been said by others in this thread, but with my own words:

I personally always avoided to publish my music to my friends. The taste of music is so diverse, that it is really not likely, that a major part of your friends like your music.

At least in my case I would expect, that roughly 25% of my friends are listening to pop-rock, 25% to electronic-pop, 25% to more special stuff like rap or metal and the remaining share of 25% is not caring about music at all.

That means: whatever I publish - at least 75% of my friends feel spammed. And even the remaining 25% may not like the specific song, even if it's the right genre. And if you spam them too often, they may will unfollow you.

So I always avoided to see my friends as a potential market for my products. If they come to me actively - nice. But i would never spam them.
Agreed, I just started to get to a releasing... and I sent all my friends the first release... just out of courtesy of letting them know that after 2 years... of nuthin - that things are starting to sprout. Just a heads up. I will only send them other releases if the earnestly ask me... other than that - I have np if I never send them anything more. But the few cool musician friends obviously want to be in the know.
Old 17th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
Agreed, I just started to get to a releasing... and I sent all my friends the first release... just out of courtesy of letting them know that after 2 years... of nuthin - that things are starting to sprout. Just a heads up. I will only send them other releases if the earnestly ask me... other than that - I have np if I never send them anything more. But the few cool musician friends obviously want to be in the know.
So you're only gonna send the next one to those friends of yours who "earnestly ask?" I hope your friends are a lot more indulgent than mine.
Old 17th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
So you're only gonna send the next one to those friends of yours who "earnestly ask?" I hope your friends are a lot more indulgent than mine.
RLOL! They all have a wry sense of humor,,, prerequisite... LOL - Yes I hate it when someone tries to push stale art or old muffins on me... so I hate to do it to others... but I 'try' to be compassionate about it. I love constructive criticism - when merits and faults are openly described... but thats rare. When 2 people can personally put their personal feelings out of the discussion... OOOH thats even rarer... it gets ya a few rungs up the ladder.

My life took a change for the better when I pondered on the thought- Is what I really want what I really want...

There are so many ways to be happy... today you can release songs on different platforms and reach thousands of like minded people... almost instantly and interact with them... how cool is that! and you can do it for free less your time and energy... and it brings much joy and rewards.
Old 17th April 2019
Lives for gear

It's really good except for the writing, arrangement and performance.

Keep at it

**Shxxxx Maxxxxxxxc

**redacted in honor of the Mueller report
Old 17th April 2019
Lives for gear

The media platform is now exploding... LOL In the music business of old there were limited controlled outlets and then you had to usually get multiple people to sign off on it (or just one powerful person); Like 12 chefs making 1 omelette. UGH tastes bad - Homogenization has given way to crazy creativity. One way it sux one way its amazing.

"Occasionally Cortexing"
Old 17th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
... today you can release songs on different platforms and reach thousands of like minded people... almost instantly and interact with them...
If you are finding that simply releasing music onto different platforms gets you listened to by thousands of people and interacting with them, I'd love to read more on your process. Serious inquiry.
Old 17th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicus View Post
If you are finding that simply releasing music onto different platforms gets you listened to by thousands of people and interacting with them, I'd love to read more on your process. Serious inquiry.
I'm not @ s wave but truth is @ musicus it doesn't get listened to as you have to elevator pitch to the ADD/ADHD generation of music-as-sonic-wallpaper non-listeners who use music as background noise to everything else that isn't active listening to music e.g. exercising, doing chores, etc.

Last edited by boombapdame; 18th April 2019 at 04:00 PM..
Old 18th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicus View Post
Well it takes a little out of the box thinking. And I am starting to navigate the virtual world. The US market is full of tech heads... and the window span is shorter and smaller compared to other parts of the world. Except when they role out new tech and / cross platform linking etc. Well lets see... Google owns YT and they are looking at that platform for their growth... (just here alone) you have an opportunity. Hmmm maybe 70% to 80% of views are from cell phones... sharing has has replaced strength of word encodement. Sharing, in a sense is one algorithm (like borrowing fans?) which leads to subscribers which is cash on the barrel and/or exposure. Maybe this is exactly why YT wants you to get 100 subscribers to open a personal privet/public YT url link. Its like having a million dis-jointed radio stations and you are the one linking up the network. (there is no cost to this just time and energy and a new idea/angle). The cutting edge western world tech leaders are here in our backyard and the majority of promotion techies want to swim in the competitive major league pond. This leaves the majority of the market not flooded and is wide open to creative marketing. (Could be Russia or SA) (Moscow has more billionaires than any other City... how did that happen?) The number one dream of a youngster is probably to become a self sufficient YT er. Old gen was to become a movie star or sports hero. Youngsters don't want a car they want a better smartphone. And in one way it is very smart. A phone will get you a ride. But its harder to take your car and get a call. The liabilities and risk vs reward is seen by millenials.

All these different shifting (and modular) algorithms are there for the taking. $hashtags alone... are low lying fruit. Just one area would be #ing the title area of YT sites and vids. 3 are available to any one vid. A specific hashtag opposed to a generic one will drive viewership and subscribers directly to where you wish them to go. How many to you see in America... let alone the untouched markets/countries of the world. Cuban would snap these for a going price if you had enough of them to offer.

Turner built a few fortunes off of buying wholesale/firesale content and delivering it through a new delivery system. Think 'tbs'. Either you can focus gathering modern content or delivery or take one product like a band or ones recorded songs and grow it vertically. Thus 'branding'. I believe just a simple focus on one exact area for viewership will get you where you want to go. (and to me there are thousands of areas to focus on and anyone will get you to where you want to go) If one had the manpower or AI you could just buy and sell 'THIS' commodity. Buying is the hardest part of wholesaling. But not in this market. There is no price - or bluebook. You make an offer and its already pre-sold at a higher price. Like investing in the stock market BUT you are the one setting the price... BIG difference.

You can buy your way into position or earn your way into the exact same position, or learn your way into same. A CEO of a major company can give you a life changing break - few and far between. Or you can get an AI to 'like' you (or algorithm) and you go to the head of the class and pass go. Last week I started my YT account. It took 3/ 1/2 days to get a partnership status. Not rocket science but meanwhile the masses are muddled in the cow field.

Heck you can take a YT account link it with FB an Twitt and Reddit and Inst and on and on and on and on. Set a Premier (or slow leak) push the button and away it goes... like a hot air balloon... 50 countries 50 languages 50 platforms and it all funnels down to one little hardrive in your bedroom. Put up PC gen grahics or Pc gen mailings. I am focusing on one specific thing at a time. When I know it - I do it. Then move to the next. There are many ways to the top of your Mtn. now and no one can stop you because of now because it is an open market...

Any way I am just rambling and wasting off topic space...
Old 18th April 2019
I don't use any social media at all...so about the cats and puppies I only know what I see on youtube. But I think most people are indifferent to your songs on social media because they listen to your songs on totally rubbish mediums and environments and your songs probably sound inferior to multi-task-force produced commercial songs. And they know you're 'Greg' from accounts or something...as opposed to DJ Crackpussy who just got out of rehab, yo.

Old 18th April 2019
Deleted 756c2f2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
I don't use any social media at all...so about the cats and puppies I only know what I see on youtube. But I think most people are indifferent to your songs on social media because they listen to your songs on totally rubbish mediums and environments and your songs probably sound inferior to multi-task-force produced commercial songs. And they know you're 'Greg' from accounts or something...as opposed to DJ Crackpussy who just got out of rehab, yo.

I dont either. I let the "professionals" that are taking mandatory 50%+ of my income away from me handle that crap. even if I wanted to, I dont have time to do that, make music and tour, which is what this is all supposedly about.

on top of that. lets be real. you are just a number. a click. your content is meaningless. you arent going to get famous and you arent going to get rich. period. statistics show it is highly likely your music wont ever even be listened to once. hobby on dude. its all about ad sales. they want my hard work to draw in my fans to make themselves money that wont be properly shared with me. sounds great. but hey lets keep on keeping on by supporting the crooks and burn this mother down.

so yeah, I am all for NOT supporting these tech startup crooks - spotify, google youtube, amazon especially!!!! <-the ones that are currently suing for less royalty shares to artists!! as if that is even mathematically ****ing possible. and throw in soundcloud, twitter, facebook, instagram snappy and all of these other clown crooks wanking each other off out to make a buck off our hard work and fan clicks too.

enjoy!

Old 18th April 2019
Deleted 756c2f2
^wtf happened there?! ......
Old 18th April 2019
With regard to the last couple posts regarding 'social media' -- I hate to break it to you guys but you're currently using one of the oldest forms of social media (and a proto-model for the core functions of social media from FB to Instagram), the electronic bulletin board. EBB's (aka BBS's) predate the world wide web, going back well into the 1980s (via early online dial-up services like Compuserve and literally thousands of dial-up BBS services around the world).
Old 18th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Well it takes a little out of the box thinking....
Hey, thanks for the extensive reply. Lots of "out of the box" info to think about and digest. In the meantime, all the best in this endeavor.
Old 18th April 2019
Regarding putting one's music up on social media and hoping it will be 'discovered' without further effort on one's own part... every once in a while some tool walks into a corner bodega or strip mall mart and buys a scratcher and wins a half billion dollars.

And everyone else loses in such quantities that the lottery commissions rake in 'free money' like it's going out of style. It CAN happen. But the chances of it being YOU are infinitesimally small.

Back in 2014, I tripped across the fact that 20% of the music then on Spotify had never, ever been listened to. Not once.

Now, you're thinking, well, sure, they were all loser nobodies no one ever heard of, bedroom artists.

Nope.

I started exploring this 'unheard fifth' of the streamosphere -- via the clever site, Forgotify, which is dedicated to serving up unheard tracks from Spotify, one after the other, to the curious and perennially restless.

MOST of what I heard was from established labels, some of it well-known artists, some of it obviously big-budget. And NONE of it had yet been streamed -- not once, not paid, not for free.

If anyone is interested in what I found, I started a sort of mini-blog reviewing the randomly served, unheard music... (and more than a few things found their way into my own stream service 'favorites library' -- so I guess you never can completely count out random discovery... )

The Forgotify Files | Music Biz Outsider Report
Old 19th April 2019
Deleted 756c2f2
Quote:
With regard to the last couple posts regarding 'social media' -- I hate to break it to you guys but you're currently using one of the oldest forms of social media (and a proto-model for the core functions of social media from FB to Instagram), the electronic bulletin board. EBB's (aka BBS's) predate the world wide web, going back well into the 1980s (via early online dial-up services like Compuserve and literally thousands of dial-up BBS services around the world).
well no duh! of course it is! the banners, ads and classifieds here make them money to maintain the forum. however, this forum isnt a direct marketplace for selling or streaming our tunes -they arent raping me of my royalties or farming my fans for clicks to increase their ad income. afaik I could sell my tunes here through my own widget music player that redirects to my own website. but I dont see people doing that and I dont see a bunch of self absorbed daily dogs dinner air brushed abs selfie pictures either. thank goodness for that.

anyway it has coexisted with a thriving music industry (early 2000-2008'ish) and allows us a gathering space during these difficult times to express our thoughts and opinions.. freedom of speech on the subject matter that would otherwise be heavily censored or banished elsewhere. Also when I joined (which was specifically to directly pm a product developer rather than go through the company support center bs) the first thing I did was check out the control panel and turn off all advertisements (amazon, wiki, ebay, google etc etc etc - all that was in there got shut down). can you freely do that on spotify? google youtube amazon facebook etc?

much like streaming, it isnt the act of streaming itself - its the streaming platform that doesnt pay fair royalties. the ones run by nonmusician criminals who in the past and present have and continue to exploit others and destroy the industry for their own personal profit. its sickening.

if I had the means, time and resources to build my own platform, one that paid artists and labels fairly, I would do it. if someone did do that and did it in an entirely transparent way, I have a feeling most if not all music makers would jump on the bandwagon leaving the crooks and their ****ty platforms out to dry and go bankrupt. the consumer would then have no choice but to nut up and start paying a proper and fair 2019 price - lets say 1 free 30 second preview, add to current playlist if you like it, then $0.50 per stream capped at $5.00 where the user could then download and own/stream it forever at no additional cost. artist to fan direct - no blood sucking middlemen, nothing. my song, my sale, my bank, my 100% royalty. full control. full transparency. a song for the price of a cup of coffee.. seems fair enough. now those half a million streams I got last year might actually afford me two meals a day! whatever you get the idea. there is no reason everyone involved, including the platform itself, couldnt and shouldnt make a fair royalty from such a venture.

maybe this is something gearslutz should look into? I mean why the hell not right??? they make all of the money from banners, ads etc and we the users make all of the money from our sales and streams. develop a section and app for it and bobs your uncle. everything else pretty much already exist. the user base grows exponentially with musicians, fans and along with it their ad clientele income, while our royalties grow the same. its win win win everybody wins!

nevertheless until succh a time, this forum however helpful and fun it may be, definitely is a time waster for me. so now that I have concluded my purpose for being here I will be deleting this account shortly and disappearing into the shadows forever..... of course I'll still read when on the toilet but otherwise my time is better spent making music.
Old 19th April 2019
Gear Addict

I started a separate Instagram account for just my music stuff. Most of the followers are people I don't know. Most of the people I follow are doing similar things. It's a lot more supportive for my craft & almost like a community of similar interests. & a better environment for creativity & learning. When I finish the album I'm working on, I plan to do the same with youtube. My friends & family are great but, most of them have no interest in what I'm doing artistically.
Old 19th April 2019
Lives for gear

A quick study of business modelling. If you started a one man lawn cutting business... You would add one more customer add a time... until you had a self sufficient company. From there you could scale and franchise etc etc...

Not too many people in the art world quite sees this simple effective strategy... Take a basic 2 man wanna be band that rose from their basement and in a few years became #1 in WW streaming internet publishing royalties. TOP or Twenty One Pilots... went against current and a-typical music promotion trends... by NOT trying to pack their overnight play dates in small venues. They did the opposite! They would concentrate on where they lived and expanded outward BUT they only advertised in a minimal area surrounding that venue. - they did not expand the promotion outside THAT area. As they gathered up fans one or 8 at a time from the distinct area they moved on. When they got enough fans they played in the largest venue in the center of their outreach. They sold it out - i believe it was at Columbus' Newport Music Hall (in Columbus Ohio) - then used social media to expand everywhere. By using that top-spin they created heat and legs and etc. to hit the top in some categories world wide. [excuse any mis-info I am writing this off the top of my head / if there is an error chime in and we'll correct it)

This was not the typical path... They transposed the social media build as boots on the ground first... and that translated into the world wide media platform (at the time) like a hand in a glove.

Promoting your song/band on World Wide social media is really NO different (it is in one way much ez er because you do not have to worry about a failure at a small venue - cost et al)... you pick a fan 1 or 8 at a time (subscriber) and when you get from the 100 to 2000 fan (subscriber level) its all downhill from there. Of course wider range genres and quality come into the equation but you just have to find the fans that like your material. If one piece of material doesn't attract too much you still have the option of adding new songs that will, and that never goes away. tc
Old 19th April 2019
Deleted 756c2f2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pindrive View Post
I started a separate Instagram account for just my music stuff. Most of the followers are people I don't know. Most of the people I follow are doing similar things. It's a lot more supportive for my craft & almost like a community of similar interests. & a better environment for creativity & learning. When I finish the album I'm working on, I plan to do the same with youtube. My friends & family are great but, most of them have no interest in what I'm doing artistically.

Quote:
A quick study of business modelling. If you started a one man lawn cutting business... You would add one more customer add a time... until you had a self sufficient company. From there you could scale and franchise etc etc...

Not too many people in the art world quite sees this simple effective strategy... Take a basic 2 man wanna be band that rose from their basement and in a few years became #1 in WW streaming internet publishing royalties. TOP or Twenty One Pilots... went against current and a-typical music promotion trends... by NOT trying to pack their overnight play dates in small venues. They did the opposite! They would concentrate on where they lived and expanded outward BUT they only advertised in a minimal area surrounding that venue. - they did not expand the promotion outside THAT area. As they gathered up fans one or 8 at a time from the distinct area they moved on. When they got enough fans they played in the largest venue in the center of their outreach. They sold it out - i believe it was at Columbus' Newport Music Hall (in Columbus Ohio) - then used social media to expand everywhere. By using that top-spin they created heat and legs and etc. to hit the top in some categories world wide. [excuse any mis-info I am writing this off the top of my head / if there is an error chime in and we'll correct it)

This was not the typical path... They transposed the social media build as boots on the ground first... and that translated into the world wide media platform (at the time) like a hand in a glove.

Promoting your song/band on World Wide social media is really NO different (it is in one way much ez er because you do not have to worry about a failure at a small venue - cost et al)... you pick a fan 1 or 8 at a time (subscriber) and when you get from the 100 to 2000 fan (subscriber level) its all downhill from there. Of course wider range genres and quality come into the equation but you just have to find the fans that like your material. If one piece of material doesn't attract too much you still have the option of adding new songs that will, and that never goes away. tc
you guys are missing the point. never mind the lottery ticket winning scenario or oversaturation and millions of songs that never get even one single play or millions of artists that never get even one genuine fan.. lets say everything is peachy and all of that is great etc etc etc - there is a lot of money being paid and made in between - most if not all of which is NOT being shared with the artist that created the product and brought in the fans in the first place! and now these social media companies are suing to pay us LESS!!!!!

how are people supposed to sustain a career, fund all of these songs, albums, rehearsals, expenses involved with tours etc etc etc when nobody is paying out royalties fairly? and the reality is that today live music pays ****. I have performed in ohio before (cincinnati bogarts, cleveland agora and columbus dahlia to be exact) and the venues pay **** unless youre an a-lister with a massive massive fan base there... ie: 1% only make decent to obscene money. my god, wake up already!

bye
Old 19th April 2019
Quote:
I think it's well implied that I'm referring to "social media" ie...facebook, instagram, twitter etc etc.

gearslutz.com is hardly on the tip of anyone's tongue in terms of "social media".

If you want to split hairs on the other hand....

Old 19th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nice rack View Post
you guys are missing the point. never mind the lottery ticket winning scenario or oversaturation and millions of songs that never get even one single play or millions of artists that never get even one genuine fan.. lets say everything is peachy and all of that is great etc etc etc - there is a lot of money being paid and made in between - most if not all of which is NOT being shared with the artist that created the product and brought in the fans in the first place! and now these social media companies are suing to pay us LESS!!!!!

how are people supposed to sustain a career, fund all of these songs, albums, rehearsals, expenses involved with tours etc etc etc when nobody is paying out royalties fairly? and the reality is that today live music pays ****. I have performed in ohio before (cincinnati bogarts, cleveland agora and columbus dahlia to be exact) and the venues pay **** unless youre an a-lister with a massive massive fan base there... ie: 1% only make decent to obscene money. my god, wake up already!

bye
Yea the 1% ers make money in most industries. The people who control the revenue streams obviously are the ones making money. The ones considered driving those revenue streams get a decent piece. Music has changed drastically over the years and will continue like that. Royalty-Sync-Neighboring rights etc payouts change dramatically from one locale to the next. There is no point missed - It is possible to get music out easier than ever before. If you have a fan base or subscriber base you are worth something... you have to be close to the top to make any real money... KNOWING where the top is and how to get there is paramount. I never said playing at small venues relatively get you there. It is but a step... Thinking in an absolute frame of mind is what almost always causes success. Gen Z thinking... If you are in demand you can call some shots... If you are not in demand you have to figure out how to be in demand... if you are not capt. of your ship you are but a cork in the ocean. If you have some decent content and hitch up with a decent social media producer or brander (or learn and do it yourself) you will the exposure and the rest is up to you... on how to get a stream of revenue. If you don't know how to do that - you learn or get someone do do it. There are many paths to get near to the top of the mountain.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search