The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
1980's Sidestream Songwriting Jukebox-Portal
Old 16th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldon2975 View Post
This thread is a time machine constructed for the purpose of revisiting and reimagining the 1980's pop songwriting scene, an alternate reality one in which the more obscure sidestream charters miraculously manage to out-perform the mainstream blockbusters (as we know them through mainstream media hindsight. Huge overplayed hit songs like 'You Spin Me Round', 'I Ran', 'Every Time You Go Away', 'Born in the U.S.A', 'All Night Long', 'Livin' On A Prayer', 'Beat It', 'Eye Of The Tiger', 'Total Eclipse of The Heart', 'Like A Virgin', 'Wake Me Up Before You Go Go', 'Tainted Love', etc.) Those songs tend to greatly and unfairly overshadow many lesser known songs, so this thread is to emphasize the underrated, underappreciated underdogs in order to let them escape from the shadows of the collective memory giants.

The songs in this thread show a tremendous amount of variety and free creativity in the area of songwriting fundamentals (rhythms, chords, harmonies, melodies, lyrics, poetry), so this thread aims to serve up as much of that as possible, for songwriting inspiration, influence, enlightenment, resources, references, compositional details and overall creative-artistic energy. In terms of sonics and production power they might sound weaker than the common standard of today, so turning up the volume along with a slight bass/sub-bass boost is recommended.

[...]
This strikes me as a thread I'm going to have to revisit since I was tremendously excited by new music possibilities going into the 1980s and the slow but already obvious dying off of mainstream pablum-disco and turgid dino-rock that clogged the airwaves. And there was a lot of great music to be heard outside the mainstream in the 1980s -- it was an era when I was probably most engaged in making music for others, consuming others' recorded music, and viewing live performances -- and I did find a lot of great stuff -- but little of it in the mainstream -- not, really, unlike most of the 1970's for me.
Old 17th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I was tremendously excited by new music possibilities going into the 1980s...
So was I, and I still am. This thread is for anyone to impulsively post their favorite 'forgotten' 80's material - stuff which seems crafty, unique, free and interesting from the subjective perspective of the revisitor.
Old 17th October 2015
Gear Maniac

The 80's had it's moments. I recorded this a few days ago. Tried to get a drummer and singer in, but nobody could make it. So as usual I did everything myself. 1987 Yes/Rabin cover tune. Never "learned it" simply because I didn't want to spend much time on it. It's how I remembered it in my head.
Manual mix - no plugin's - computer used like a tape recorder.
Trevor Rabin is exactly what Yes needed for the 80's.

Last edited by Quantumphysics; 17th October 2015 at 04:01 AM..
Old 17th October 2015
For me, postmodernized funk was a big factor in the early 80s...

I felt I still had to listen to commercial radio (I was actively freelancing as an engineer) into the second half of the decade -- but it was a tough go. I much preferred the mix of eclectic pop and rock and world music I heard on public radio. I got much better acquainted with African music...

I was introduced to this when it was included in the 1982 Original Suffer Head album, but it was originally from 1977. Fela was an important part of my listening through the 80s and 90s.

I saw Fela live, Sunny Ade a couple times, Manu Dibango, Papa Wembe, and some others. (And these days I listen to a lot of West African music, Ali Farka Toure, Boubacar Traore, Toumani Diabate, Rokia Traore, Fatou Diawata, and much more, since it's relatively easy to find in the stream-o-sphere nowadays.)

One of the coolest strains was Argentine tango music, as exemplified by onetime Nadia Boulanger student Astor Pizzolla, who I was fortunate to see live.

Also in the late 70s and into the 80s I continued my love affair with the music of Captain Beefheart; this is from the a French TV show in 1980...
Old 17th October 2015
Although Joy Division frontman Ian Curtis committed suicide in June of 1980 (just before a US tour), JD left a heavy imprint across the early 80's for a lot of folks like me. New Order, formed out of the ashes, had some good work but it never grabbed me like JD. I'll avoid the obvious and overexposed -- but brilliant and crushingly poignant -- "Love Will Tear Us Apart"...

Old 17th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
This strikes me as a thread I'm going to have to revisit since I was tremendously excited by new music possibilities going into the 1980s and the slow but already obvious dying off of mainstream pablum-disco and turgid dino-rock that clogged the airwaves. And there was a lot of great music to be heard outside the mainstream in the 1980s -- it was an era when I was probably most engaged in making music for others, consuming others' recorded music, and viewing live performances -- and I did find a lot of great stuff -- but little of it in the mainstream -- not, really, unlike most of the 1970's for me.
@ theblue1 :

I am happy to see you kept your word to contribute to this fine thread, my friend. Great stuff.

You of all people, should've tons of 80's sidestream songs we aren't as familiar with.

The 80's for me went by too fast; I don't remember much.
I'm always a decade behind.
Old 17th October 2015
Lives for gear

Old 17th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss View Post
@ theblue1 :

I am happy to see you kept your word to contribute to this fine thread, my friend. Great stuff.

You of all people, should've tons of 80's sidestream songs we aren't as familiar with.

The 80's for me went by too fast; I don't remember much.
I'm always a decade behind.
I was actually pretty surprised at how reluctantly my brain fed up stuff from the 80s... I kind of burned through a lot of stuff back then, saw loads of live music.

Not really an 80s guy, per se -- after all he was in Fairport Convention and his gorgeous album with his ex-wife, Linda, Pour Down Like Silver, was originally released in 1975 (got it back then, what a record!), but it was during the 1980s (and into the 90s) that I got to see a lot of Richard Thompson solo (usually at the tiny but legendary McCabe's Guitar Shop in Santa Monica* -- with a minuscule concert area) and was introduced to one of his most beloved (not to mention covered) songs (which didn't make it on to one of his albums until Rumor and Sigh in '91)...

*Not to be confused with the [long separate] McCabe's Guitar Shop that was in Long Beach in the 60s and 70s, where key members of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, including early member Jackson Browne, reportedly met each other.

At the other end of the folk spectrum, I also spent some time with a certain, growly-voiced Aussie...

Last edited by theblue1; 17th October 2015 at 06:44 PM..
Old 17th October 2015
Speaking of the local Long Beach scene, I got to know these guys after seeing them at an art opening at LB State, ended up being longtime friends with Bill the bass player, jamming with him many times, going to his wedding, etc. They had a video filmed by Jonathan Demme that aired on Saturday Night Live, but I'm going with this performance from the old public access cable show, New Wave Theatre:

Another band from the next town over, the Alley Cats (not to be confused with the current doo wop revival guys) were a big influence (and I later would work on a set of demos for them that got them signed to a major (for one release; oh well)... [this is from the Urgh! A Music War film]

Another band that I listened to all through the late 70s and 80s was the Plugz, who ended up becoming the Cruzados and then, finally, Tito & Tarantula. I was lucky enough to work on the demo of this song below -- a terrific song that became identified with Plugz/Cruzados/Tarantulas front man, Tito Larriva. (I think T&T perform it in a bar scene in From Dusk till Dawn.)

Old 17th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
... I kind of burned through a lot of stuff back then, saw loads of live music.
Lucky you!!

Loved the Richard Thompson's song, thanks!!

The guitar becomes alive on his hands; I was expecting a banjo sound that never materialized.
Old 18th October 2015
Here's a great southern duo from the 1980's, House of Freaks. They put on a great show, all two of them, just, you know, playing their hearts out. Fine lyrics, kind of southern Gothic at times. Sad coda to their story, but that's for some other time.

Old 18th October 2015
Lives for gear

@ theblue1 :

'Sun Gone Down' sounds like something I may have heard it before.

Did they write it or is it a cover?
Old 18th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss View Post
@ theblue1 :

'Sun Gone Down' sounds like something I may have heard it before.

Did they write it or is it a cover?
They were the writers. I think Bryan Harvey, the singer/guitarist, or he and Johnny Hott, the drummer, pretty much wrote all of their stuff.
Old 18th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
They were the writers. I think Bryan Harvey, the singer/guitarist, or he and Johnny Hott, the drummer, pretty much wrote all of their stuff.
That's what I like about you!!

You're very knowledgeable, especially about music and have no qualms divulging it to us all.
Old 18th October 2015
I just know how to work Google.

With well-known stuff you can go straight to Google/Wikipedia -- I usually search on song title (song) as that's how song titles are often delineated in Wikipedia.

But I often go straight to AllMusic because they seem to generally have the songwriter credits (not always). I'd prefer Discogs.com in some ways but their entries are not always complete, by any means.
Old 18th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just know how to work Google.
Sometimes it just blows my mind if I try to comprehend the technology available nowadays. Here I am in Manhattan exchanging ideas with my favorite Gearslutz surfer friend in California whilst playing the part of a radio disc-jockey and having a blast.

Thank you Gearslutz!
Old 18th October 2015
Lives for gear

Old 18th October 2015
Lives for gear

Old 18th October 2015
Lives for gear

Old 18th October 2015
Lives for gear

Old 24th October 2015
Lives for gear

Old 24th October 2015
Lives for gear

Old 24th October 2015
Lives for gear

Old 24th October 2015
Lives for gear

Old 24th October 2015
Lives for gear

Lyrics:

Nothing changes
It only gets worse
Nothing changes
Waiting for a hearse
There is no hope
Escape is a hoax
The pressure's building
And I just can't cope

Now and forever

Nothing changes
It only gets worse
Nothing changes
Waiting for a hearse
There is no hope
Escape is a hoax
And we are the punchline
To a Splenger's joke

Now and forever
Old 30th October 2015
Lives for gear

Old 30th October 2015
Lives for gear

Old 30th October 2015
Lives for gear

Old 30th October 2015
Lives for gear

Old 30th October 2015
Lives for gear

The Times - Manchester

Lyrics:

Buildings of grey on a liquid sky
Turns the day into night

The bars are filling with fighting Irish
Smug young married couples dressing down for the week-end

Pert shop-girls and typists tip-tapping
Into blaring dance halls

Hard facing villains dressing up for the drinking clubs
While Suburbia sits watching television

Bouncers in tuxedos with butterflies 'round their necks
"LOVE" tattooed on the right hand and "HATE" on the left

Stone Roses just like angels, heaven is this noise
Fancied by the shop-girls, admired by the sweat-shop boys

So we're sitting in the snug bar waiting for Jase the Ace
Hooky's by the jukebox doing his splendid to entertain

Look at Tony Wilson live on Channel 4
Vote for Rodney Marsh cos Best's on sale again

I hear a song by Stephen Patrick
A crocodile tear paints the dead

Everybody starts shouting "HANG THE D.J."
So he puts on STATE 808 instead

I see a face at the Hacienda
I see a heart that is torn in two

I see a head that flies the Happy Mondays
And a lonely girl called you
And a lonely girl called you

Manchester, England
Manchester, I'll always love you...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search