The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Musikmesse 2015: SPL Iron Mastering Compressor
Old 14th April 2015
Lives for gear

$5k seems reasonable for all that it appears to bring to the table...

Would like a side by side review vs Manley Vari-mu.
Old 14th April 2015
Lives for gear
Eh, not bad
I was expecting it to be more expensive
Old 16th April 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear
No wonder it's so cheap, only two tubes per channel!
The Manley has 5 tubes per channel and the original Fairchild design had some 20 tubes.
Old 19th April 2015 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by stribor1 View Post
No wonder it's so cheap, only two tubes per channel!
The Manley has 5 tubes per channel and the original Fairchild design had some 20 tubes.
Old 22nd April 2015
Here for the gear

Already listed here on front end audio: SPL IRON Mastering Compressor at FrontEndAudio.com. Same price as the passeq. So I guess maybe the EU street price will be much lower than 4.5K euro (passeq = 3.4K euro)?
Old 23rd April 2015 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmouse View Post
Already listed here on front end audio: SPL IRON Mastering Compressor at FrontEndAudio.com. Same price as the passeq. So I guess maybe the EU street price will be much lower than 4.5K euro (passeq = 3.4K euro)?
That's without VAT though right?

Its listed at Sxpro at £3,879 inc VAT = €5400.

So I guess it's €4500 + VAT
TRW
Lives for gear

This box has so much potential.

For the tube geeks out there, the box uses a 12AU7 and a 12AX7 if I remember correctly. Which I've never seen nor knew they could be used in a vari-mu config.

The IRON runs both of those tubes in parallel so they each compress with a slightly different curve, so it has a big sound like two tube comps squeezing in parallel. I liked EQ2 & EQ4 when playing with the unit and the tube bias 3-position switch was dramatically useful, the AirBass was pretty sizeable... weird to operate at first but nice.

It's on my list in a deathmatch between the Rockruepel (gentleman like but also aggressive) and the Gyraf G22 (huge vintage tone and nice flexibility). The Phoenix M+ also a good look for a more hifi vibe. The IRON seems to offer a lot of openess.

I felt the Attack/Release were most suited to programme material so not sure if it will crush drums the same way the Phoenix or Ruepel can do, but need a proper demo.

June apparently.

Best
-T
Thx for ur input

Damn I wish I had the time to go to Frankfurt directly, so many new stuff atm !

Yes this Compressor looks a bit like a dream come true for me, I was hoping they'd do exactly this one day : several compressors in one box, with the SPL 120V "sound" (!) Its so promising I can wait to have my hands on this.
Old 27th June 2015
Gear Nut

So... has anyone heard it?
Old 27th June 2015
Yes, it's fun but not great, I would not trow 4K at it.

Like someone mentioned 12ax7 and 12au7 is not your typical vari mu tube and there is a reason for that.
You can use say any kind of tube for vari mu, but it will give you only so much gain reduction before it breaks up, so no heavy hitting there.

This and the Tegeler thing sort of smells like the PRR vari-mu circuit on DIY audio forum to me, and in that case it is not worth a bunch.

I don't like designs with big bulky chasis and big knops to find a chinese circuit board inside and lots and lots of empty space.

Hyped, but you'll people will buy it anyway.
Old 27th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmik Prod. View Post
I don't like designs with big bulky chasis and big knops to find a chinese circuit board inside and lots and lots of empty space.
Lol...the SOS review of the Dangerous Music Compressor killed my GAS when I saw a photo of the inside. It's like when you open a bag of chips and realize you're paying mostly for air!

Old 27th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Lol...the SOS review of the Dangerous Music Compressor killed my GAS when I saw a photo of the inside. It's like when you open a bag of chips and realize you're paying mostly for air!

Damn that looks sad
Old 23rd July 2015 | Show parent
Testing
Attached Thumbnails
Musikmesse 2015: SPL Iron Mastering Compressor-dsc_0476.jpg   Musikmesse 2015: SPL Iron Mastering Compressor-dsc_0435.jpg  
Old 24th July 2015 | Show parent
SPL IRON mastering RED

Attached Thumbnails
Musikmesse 2015: SPL Iron Mastering Compressor-spl-iron-mastering-red.jpg  
Old 20th October 2015 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Any more news on this? Has anyone spent any time with it?
Old 27th October 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the unik View Post
Testing
So how is your testing going? what dya think man? .... really 12ax, at's and not much more than that?
📝 Reply