The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Adding to the debt... Preamps.
Old 30th December 2003
Adding to the debt... Preamps.

(cross posted from hr.com board, I'm growing fond of this place)

The usual preamp thread.

This will be my first 'real' preamp.

I'm looking into the 'up to $1300ish' area.

I'm thinking either a two channel Sebetron, A Designs MP-2, Vintech 1272 or something similar (and by similar I am not implying that these units sound the same, but I mean similar price range and quality).

The only other pres I have are Soundcraft M12 pres. These will be primarily snare and kick pres, but since they will be my 'high end' pres pretty much everything will be going through them until I pick up some more (someday I will have you, great river and phoenix).

Why does the credit card company always have to temp you with 'Limit, $6500?'

Oh yeah, and with this pre will probably be a Soundelux u195.

I also own all of those great budget mics like MXL 603s and v67g, along with the usual sm57s and such.

Wisdom me.
Old 30th December 2003
Gear Head

There is an Ebay Auction right now for something that may be of interest to you (not mine).

For more info, search on Quad8.
Old 30th December 2003
Lives for gear
I own an A Designs MP-2 and I've used the Sebatron vmp-2000e.

I like them both. The A Designs is more of a high fidelity unit. The Sebatron is more of a medium to heavy color preamp.
Old 30th December 2003
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by ozraves
I own an A Designs MP-2 and I've used the Sebatron vmp-2000e.

I like them both. The A Designs is more of a high fidelity unit. The Sebatron is more of a medium to heavy color preamp.

By any chance do you own any other preamps?
Old 30th December 2003
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally posted by jackassman
By any chance do you own any other preamps?
I've got pres by Millenia, Great River, Safe Sound and FMR in the rack as well.
Old 30th December 2003
Lives for gear

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any mention of what type of music you will be working on. I can give you a strongly positive recommendation for one of the models you mentioned, the Vintech 1272 if you want a nicely "flavored" preamp that is very well constructed, reliable and moderately priced.

I've used it with every type of mic imaginable, from an AKG D112 to a BLUE Bottle and I haven't run into any situations where the Vintech 1272 was "incompatible" with the mic. Unless you are a full time classical / location recordist, I think that the Vintech is a great "1st good preamp" and I rate if above many others that claim that title - mostly because many other "1st good preamp" contenders are single channel units and a two channel / stereo preamp is MUCH more useful.

Feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions concerning the V-1272.
Old 30th December 2003
Dot
Lives for gear

I would not buy a Vintech Dual 72 as a first all-purpose pre. It's a great pre, but it's about as colored and huge-sounding as pres get. Not good for use over many tracks on many sources.

The A Designs Audio MP-2 is a great all-around tube pre. Very versatile. Fairly clean as tube pres go.

The Sebatron has more color, and though I really like it, I still hesitate to recommend it as a first pre. But don't let that stop you from considering it. Some very cool features on the Sebatron and it makes a great OH pre.

We have all three here - and many other preamps as well. Personally, I would go for the MP-2. But also think at $950 that the Sebatron vmp-2000e is worthy of serious consideration.
Old 30th December 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Dot
We have all three here - and many other preamps as well. Personally, I would go for the MP-2. But also think at $950 that the Sebatron vmp-2000e is worthy of serious consideration.
What else would you think of getting for $1300 or under?

Over at hr.com a guy is recommending OSA stuff.

I would like to go that route and down the road I can load up with some API stuff, too, but I really haven't heard much talk about the OSA stuff.

Oh, and for Steve (thanks for your reply): This will be the normal 'record in your garage' stuff. Punk/rock/metal/emo/indie/ska stuff.
Old 30th December 2003
Gear Head

scraaaape....rinse.
Old 30th December 2003
Dot
Lives for gear

For under $1300, and if you're doing the normal 'record in your garage' stuff. Punk/rock/metal/emo/indie/ska stuff. - I'd get the Sebatron amp-2000e.

Actually, for $1300 you could swing the Sebatron and the FMR RNP. Four channels of good pres that complement each other. Can't beat it.

BTW, if you want API get API. If you look around you may be able to find a used 3124 for $1600ish.
Old 30th December 2003
Gear Nut

..:

<< What else would you think of getting for $1300 or under? >>

Sytek:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3278

Fast rise time -- great for drums amongst other things. Lots o' gain for ribbon mics and such.

b :*
Old 30th December 2003
Gear Head

On OSA's I would reccomend an A or a pair of A's. They would work fine for a first pre.

Also can't go wrong with a John Hardy M1, check out the previous thread here recently about them, many a fine praise.

I can't comment on the others listed, haven't used them.

Mark
Old 31st December 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by MJohnson
On OSA's I would reccomend an A or a pair of A's. They would work fine for a first pre.

Also can't go wrong with a John Hardy M1, check out the previous thread here recently about them, many a fine praise.

I can't comment on the others listed, haven't used them.

Mark
I had my credit card and thumb almost clicking for $3000 last night for an 8 space OSA rack, two C's, and a Soundelux U195.

So so close.

I don't know, though. I'm for sure getting the u195 at the beginning of next year (in another week or two).
Old 31st December 2003
Gear Maniac

I'd go for the semi-clean thing with the U195, Hardy M-1, possibly API. I think you'll find the U195 to impart enough color on its own for most sources. I like my Summit TPA-200B with the U195, but it runs the gamut from clean to colored; I usually go for the cleanest varieties with the U195.

The Hardy M-1 is a world class, lovely and versatile preamp. Stands up to ANYTHING. Clean, but with character, not at all sterile (it's got nickel-wound Jensen transformers on the inputs AND outputs). My ultimate clean pre, but I don't record classical.
Old 31st December 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by dtobocman
I'd go for the semi-clean thing with the U195, Hardy M-1, possibly API. I think you'll find the U195 to impart enough color on its own for most sources. I like my Summit TPA-200B with the U195, but it runs the gamut from clean to colored; I usually go for the cleanest varieties with the U195.

The Hardy M-1 is a world class, lovely and versatile preamp. Stands up to ANYTHING. Clean, but with character, not at all sterile (it's got nickel-wound Jensen transformers on the inputs AND outputs). My ultimate clean pre, but I don't record classical.
I would, but I'm looking for a two channel unit right now.
Old 31st December 2003
Gear Head

M1 is a one to four channel unit.

The cage holds 4 units, you can buy it with 1-4 already in it.

Heres a link:

http://www.mercenaryaudio.com/m1micpreamtw.html
Old 31st December 2003
Gear Nut

Quote:
I've got pres by Millenia, Great River, Safe Sound and FMR in the rack as well.
Man, Oz... I wish I could have as much gear sent out to me as you have. Nice job!
Old 31st December 2003
More cowbell!

Assuming you are doing rock/pop, and if I were in your boat, I would do this:

http://www.brentaverill.com/312a/312_2_p.htm

Two channels, unimpeachable.

If you feel you are expanding later, set up a lunchbox for the API eq's, which own, and go for the API 500 series at Merc. But, it's gonna be $1400 for the pre's and another whatever for the box. Still, perhaps a wiser long-range approach.

Regards,

kt :-)
Old 31st December 2003
Dot
Lives for gear

As one of the biggest and most hardcore John Hardy M-1 fans in the world, I wouldn't go that route for you you're doing, Christopher.

Look, I don't care what you get , and I've used and listened critically to more mic pres than most people.

Get the Sebatron vmp-2000e - and make some music.
Old 31st December 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Dot
As one of the biggest and most hardcore John Hardy M-1 fans in the world, I wouldn't go that route for you you're doing, Christopher.

Look, I don't care what you get , and I've used and listened critically to more mic pres than most people.

Get the Sebatron vmp-2000e - and make some music.
Just out of curiousity (and becuase I'm really enjoying hearing about all of these pres), why would you suggest the Sebatron so highly?

The reason I'm asking is because I hear that colored pres are good for adding character to things, but if used to track almost a full mix the color can cloud up the full image. If I use this for kick and snare, then guitars, bass and vocals, would that be a problem?
Old 31st December 2003
Dot
Lives for gear

Christopher, I recommend the Sebatron because you're doing the normal 'record in your garage' stuff. Punk/rock/metal/emo/indie/ska stuff.

The Sebatron is not super colored like the Vintech Dual 72 - which I suggested that you stay clear of earlier because of it's extreme color. It's a one-trick pony.

But the Sebatron has some sonic versatilty - and it's only $950 for two channels. Sebatron is soulful and it has "Punk/rock/metal/emo/indie/ska" written all over it.
Old 31st December 2003
Well. I was adding it up, and I think I'm just going to say screw it and get the Great River ME2-NV and a U195.

I'm young. I guess I'm allowed to get into debt.

Whoopie.
Old 31st December 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by ChristopherDawn
Well. I was adding it up, and I think I'm just going to say screw it and get the Great River ME2-NV and a U195.

That's a good all around setup, you could use that on probably just about everything (non "classical" anyway).
Old 31st December 2003
Dot
Lives for gear

The ME-2NV is a great choice, Christopher. A pre that'll last you a lifetime. Have fun with it!
Old 31st December 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Dot
The ME-2NV is a great choice, Christopher. A pre that'll last you a lifetime. Have fun with it!
Thanks for all of your help (even though I decided something completely different in the end!).

Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred
That's a good all around setup, you could use that on probably just about everything (non "classical" anyway).
Wanna knock $50 off of the total if I order it through you? :D

Haha.
Old 1st January 2004
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally posted by Bowisc
Man, Oz... I wish I could have as much gear sent out to me as you have. Nice job!
It's been really great getting my ear educated. I owe a great debt to a certain mic pre designer/manufacturer for a long term loaner that's served well to educate my ears. I do own some nice pieces but this particular loaner has been the thing that sort of finished me out.

Anyhow, on the gear, I've seen your rack. It looks pretty good. We've both been blessed this past year in terms of expanding our sonic horizons.

Steve
www.mojopie.com
Old 1st January 2004
Lives for gear
Christopher--

Great choice.

I'd disagree with Nathan a tad. I was talking to one of his esteemed competitors the other day and telling him how I probably thought I could get by with an MP-2NV and nothing else. I told him that formerly I thought it could do anything but legit. However, I've grown in the last couple months and believe it can even do legit as well. I'm hanging with some impressive legit musicians so I'm going to find out.

It'll do the garage thing very well.

--Steve
www.mojopie.com
Old 1st January 2004
Quote:
I told him that formerly I thought it could do anything but legit.

I was speaking more of the U195 than the 2NV, but anywhoo...anything with a reasonable amount of fidelity can do legit music, of course the players and room are the most important factor. But for me, a piece of gear with no or little harmonic content, and an extremely linear frequency response is the way to for that type of music (BTW for those of you who are reading this saying, WTF is "legit" music, we're talking about "classical" [I hate that word, it's like calling all rock "psychedelic"] types of music, from Baroque organ, to Romantic period Orchestral and everywhere in between...ie "fine arts"). That's why Great River makes the MP-2, completely different beast, intended to be a straight wire with gain as much as physics and electronic design will ever allow in 2004. If you want to use gear that is bigger than life, go for it. I like Brunettes, you may like Blondes.

PS...what if you record a string quartet in a garage? Does that make them post-punkabilly-skacore?
Old 1st January 2004
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred

PS...what if you record a string quartet in a garage? Does that make them post-punkabilly-skacore?
Some of the legit guys when they experiment are kind of on the funny side in that it's something that's been done in the pop world. But, they act like they are leading a revolution. However, I'm not aware of the string quartet in the garage thing. I'd try it but I don't own a garage.
Old 2nd January 2004
Geeze guys; I don't want it to SOUND like it's recorded in a garage. And it probably won't be, probably more in living rooms and practice spaces.

Haha.

Now I just need to buy portable acoustic things, like minitraps or something.
๐Ÿ“ Reply