The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Beyerdynamic M88
Old 27th March 2015
  #1
Lives for gear
 
guitarboy94's Avatar
 

Beyerdynamic M88

I just bought this M88 off ebay. I plugged it into my Forte, recorded some vocals and the low-end frequencies are completely missing. Nearly everything under 500hz is missing. Sounds like the telephonic effect. Maybe the mic's been dropped too many times? Anybody ever had this happen to their M88? At any rate, I'm sending this back to the seller. I'm kind of ticked!
Old 27th March 2015
  #2
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
M88 has really nice low end. That is damaged for sure. I've known of a few people the blew M88s in bass drums.
Old 27th March 2015
  #3
I have a M88 with the exact same symptoms. Messed it up myself though. Don't think it's fixable. So yeah, send it back to the seller.
Old 27th March 2015
  #4
Lives for gear
 
guitarboy94's Avatar
 

thanks! I contacted the seller and we've worked it out. I'm sending it back. What do you all think of the M69? I might get one of those instead of it's going to be similiar to the M88 on vocals. I really like the tone of the M88 that I've been using at a friend's studio. It's a pretty high caliber sounding dynamic mic if you ask me, possibly better sounding on my vocals than some high end condensers I've tried out. Just wondering the M69 is going to give a similiar vibe.
Old 27th March 2015
  #5
Lives for gear
 
gravyface's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 View Post
thanks! I contacted the seller and we've worked it out. I'm sending it back. What do you all think of the M69? I might get one of those instead of it's going to be similiar to the M88 on vocals. I really like the tone of the M88 that I've been using at a friend's studio. It's a pretty high caliber sounding dynamic mic if you ask me, possibly better sounding on my vocals than some high end condensers I've tried out. Just wondering the M69 is going to give a similiar vibe.
MD441
Old 27th March 2015
  #6
Lives for gear
 
edva's Avatar
M88 and M69 do sound similar, with the latter somewhat brighter sounding, and with less low bass response. (Both are bright-sounding mics IMHO). The M69 is really more of a vocal mic, the M88 more of an instrument mic, IMHO. Although many people do like the M88 on vocals. If you like that sound, I think you'd also like the M69. Not exactly the same of course, but similar. Good luck.

Last edited by edva; 27th March 2015 at 04:53 AM.. Reason: spelling, bit more
Old 27th March 2015
  #7
A working m88 is a beautiful thing. Send it to Sonic Surgeon, Long Island NY USA.
Old 27th March 2015
  #8
Gear Addict
 
morphtec's Avatar
For whatever reason Beyerdynamic stopped making their top line of dynamic vocal mics (they were considerably more expensive then their M88/69 which probably affected their sales). So if you can get your hands on a working M600 or M700 - buy it! The M600 is the best dynamic mic I have ever owned.
From their current line I prefer the M201 over my M88 and M69 on almost anything - even vocals. Give it a try.
Old 27th March 2015
  #9
Lives for gear
 
guitarboy94's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphtec View Post
.
From their current line I prefer the M201 over my M88 and M69 on almost anything - even vocals. Give it a try.
Cool. Do you think the tone of the 201 is similiar sounding to the M88? I'm worried that's it not going sound as full and rich because of the small capsule for vocals. Somebody mentioned above that the M88 is bright sounding, but it really sounds pretty smooth and a bit dark to my ears, at least compared to a condenser. That's what I like about it.
Old 27th March 2015
  #10
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 View Post
thanks! I contacted the seller and we've worked it out. I'm sending it back. What do you all think of the M69? I might get one of those instead of it's going to be similiar to the M88 on vocals. I really like the tone of the M88 that I've been using at a friend's studio. It's a pretty high caliber sounding dynamic mic if you ask me, possibly better sounding on my vocals than some high end condensers I've tried out. Just wondering the M69 is going to give a similiar vibe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edva View Post
M88 and M69 do sound similar, with the latter somewhat brighter sounding, and with less low bass response. (Both are bright-sounding mics IMHO). The M69 is really more of a vocal mic, the M88 more of an instrument mic, IMHO. Although many people do like the M88 on vocals. If you like that sound, I think you'd also like the M69. Not exactly the same of course, but similar. Good luck.
I agree with edva. ITs easy to hear the relationship of the M88 and M69. I've used them both on keeper vocals and a lof of other things. I think the M88 can do a little more, probably because of its extension in the bass. There's a bass roll off on the M69 on a ring on the bottom. It can be useful, but I usually don't use it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphtec View Post
For whatever reason Beyerdynamic stopped making their top line of dynamic vocal mics (they were considerably more expensive then their M88/69 which probably affected their sales). So if you can get your hands on a working M600 or M700 - buy it! The M600 is the best dynamic mic I have ever owned.
From their current line I prefer the M201 over my M88 and M69 on almost anything - even vocals. Give it a try.
This is interesting. I like the M201 but do not "connect" to it in the same was as an M88 or M69. It seems to have a more focused frequency response, which of course can be quite useful. I've been using it on Hit hat a lot lately. It gives me the focus and detail without the icepick to the eardrum that a condenser can on hats
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 View Post
Cool. Do you think the tone of the 201 is similiar sounding to the M88? I'm worried that's it not going sound as full and rich because of the small capsule for vocals. Somebody mentioned above that the M88 is bright sounding, but it really sounds pretty smooth and a bit dark to my ears, at least compared to a condenser. That's what I like about it.
To my ears the M201 isn't a rich and pleasing as the M88. Admittedly, I don't think I've tried on on vocals, but on guitars, and snares it is a smaller sound than an M88 or M69.

IMNSHO you can't go wrong owning any Beyer mics. I have 3 M88, M69, M201 and TGX50 in the rotation.
Old 27th March 2015
  #11
Gear Guru
 
FFTT's Avatar
 

How would you compare the M-88 against a Sennheiser MD 421 on vocals?
Old 27th March 2015
  #12
Lives for gear
 
guitarboy94's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post

To my ears the M201 isn't a rich and pleasing as the M88. Admittedly, I don't think I've tried on on vocals, but on guitars, and snares it is a smaller sound than an M88 or M69.

.
Thanks. That was my suspicion. Since I primarily need it for lead vocals, I think I'll stick with the M88 or M69. Anybody got one they can sell me?
Old 27th March 2015
  #13
Lives for gear
 
edva's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 View Post
Somebody mentioned above that the M88 is bright sounding, but it really sounds pretty smooth and a bit dark to my ears, at least compared to a condenser. That's what I like about it.
It is smooth, and has a good amount of low-end, which can come into play especially with proximity. Certainly not as bright sounding as many condensers. But there is a lot of "brightness" to the sound. (If you get a chance to compare it a less-bright mic, like a 441 for example, you'll hear what I'm talking about.) That is not necessarily a bad thing of course, especially if the highs are smooth as they are. Obviously, you like it. That's really what matters most. Good luck.
Old 27th March 2015
  #14
Lives for gear
 
edva's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
How would you compare the M-88 against a Sennheiser MD 421 on vocals?
While I haven't specifically A/B'd these on the same vocal, I'd say there are similarities, with the 421 sounding a bit more "hyped" and perhaps a bit "spittier" or "crisper", and the M88 perhaps a bit "smoother", and maybe a touch more "mid-forward". Subjective impressions of course. The 421 also has a much wider pickup pattern, with the M88 having greater rejection. Good luck.
Old 27th March 2015
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Jimbo's Avatar
GuitarBoy94,

I'm confused. In this thread (Love for the Beyerdynamic M88) you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 View Post
My thoughts as well. I was very underwhelmed with this [M88] mic on male vocals in comparison to my SM7b. The M88 has an aggressive proximity effect going on that's pretty difficult to work with. When you pull back on the M88 to reduce proximity, the audio starts thinning out in a hurry. For the most part, it's a difficult mic to work with compared to the SM7b: which you basically just eat and record and end up with lush smooth audio that takes EQ like a charm. I think the M88 is best left as a kick or amp mic. I've tried most of the high end dynamics now on male vocals, and I still think the SM7b rules them all.

That was two years ago. It seems you didn't like the mic then, preferring the SM7b, but you have since sold your SM7b (that you frequently lauded) and re-bought the M88.



Maybe your tastes are changing?
Old 27th March 2015
  #16
Lives for gear
 
guitarboy94's Avatar
 

Correct! The M88 has a tricky sweetspot in my experience. I think I finally figured out how far to stand from it to get the vocals where I want them. I gave it another go two years later and have really been liking the results. I think the M88 has a little more depth to it than the SM7. I still like my SM7b as well. I'm wondering if the M69 will be an easier mic to work because of the lesser proximity affect? Seems like I need to stand about a foot back from the M88 to hit the sweet spot, but any further or closer and I leave the sweet spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
GuitarBoy94,

I'm confused. In this thread (Love for the Beyerdynamic M88) you said:




That was two years ago. It seems you didn't like the mic then, preferring the SM7b, but you have since sold your SM7b (that you frequently lauded) and re-bought the M88.



Maybe your tastes are changing?
Old 27th March 2015
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Jimbo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 View Post
I'm wondering if the M69 will be an easier mic to work because of the lesser proximity affect? Seems like I need to stand about a foot back from the M88 to hit the sweet spot, but any further or closer and I leave the sweet spot.
The M69 is easier to work with, but is a different sounding mic than the M88.

Regarding the M88, and proximity effect -- With great power comes great responsibility!
Old 27th March 2015
  #18
Lives for gear
 
edva's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 View Post
Correct! The M88 has a tricky sweetspot in my experience. I think I finally figured out how far to stand from it to get the vocals where I want them. I gave it another go two years later and have really been liking the results. I think the M88 has a little more depth to it than the SM7. I still like my SM7b as well. I'm wondering if the M69 will be an easier mic to work because of the lesser proximity affect? Seems like I need to stand about a foot back from the M88 to hit the sweet spot, but any further or closer and I leave the sweet spot.
Good post, and pretty much true IMHO. Of course, every voice is different. The M69 is easier to work I think, and the proximity effect is "warmer" rather than "boomier", which can be a problem on the M88 in some cases. Good luck.
Old 27th March 2015
  #19
Gear Addict
 
morphtec's Avatar
This thread got me thinking, so I set my M201 and M88 side by side on a stereo bar (not really accurate, I know) and recorded my voice and some guitar .... and yes, I see why people prefer the M88 - it has a nice high end sheen and focused mids and bass. I kinda have to eat my words now it seems, because today I preferred the M88 ... sorry. I did a quick and dirty take with my M600 alone afterwards and it still smokes them both though ... :-)
Here are the files if someone cares. Recorded through Neumann V476b.
Attached Files

BeyerdynamicM88.mp3 (1.99 MB, 4609 views)

BeyerdynamicM201.mp3 (1.99 MB, 4546 views)

Old 27th March 2015
  #20
Lives for gear
 

I'm a big fan of the M88 for just about everything but I don't use it on vocals all that often. Someone mentioned the M600 & M700 and I would agree whole heartedly. I stumbled across a used M700 a few years ago. I didn't know what it was and it didn't get much use until I was running low on mics and needed something for a scratch vocal. I was completely floored by how good it sounded and the rejection was amazing. We ended up keeping some of the scratch tracks. They were cut live in the room with a drum kit and the bleed was very minimal and totally workable.
It's been one of my go to vocal mics ever since. I just wish I could find a new windscreen for it. Mine is a bit bashed and the foam is gone. It still sounds fine but needs a popper stopper for vocal takes.
Old 27th March 2015
  #21
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphtec View Post
This thread got me thinking, so I set my M201 and M88 side by side on a stereo bar (not really accurate, I know) and recorded my voice and some guitar .... and yes, I see why people prefer the M88 - it has a nice high end sheen and focused mids and bass. I kinda have to eat my words now it seems, because today I preferred the M88 ... sorry. I did a quick and dirty take with my M600 alone afterwards and it still smokes them both though ... :-)
Here are the files if someone cares. Recorded through Neumann V476b.
So where's the M600 take??
Old 27th March 2015
  #22
Gear Addict
 
morphtec's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb4t2 View Post
So where's the M600 take??
No one must ever hear it!

It's probably more interesting to pair the M600 up against an M88 like I did with the M201.
I'll try to get it done tonight.
Old 27th March 2015
  #23
Lives for gear
 
guitarboy94's Avatar
 

Yes! I would love to hear that.
Old 27th March 2015
  #24
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by edva View Post
While I haven't specifically A/B'd these on the same vocal, I'd say there are similarities, with the 421 sounding a bit more "hyped" and perhaps a bit "spittier" or "crisper", and the M88 perhaps a bit "smoother", and maybe a touch more "mid-forward". Subjective impressions of course. The 421 also has a much wider pickup pattern, with the M88 having greater rejection. Good luck.
I have an m88 and a 421 permanently mounted in my guitar iso cab and I'd say this description is pretty much dead on. They compliment each other very well.
Old 27th March 2015
  #25
Gear Guru
 
FFTT's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtripper View Post
I have an m88 and a 421 permanently mounted in my guitar iso cab and I'd say this description is pretty much dead on. They compliment each other very well.
Helpful, thanks!
Old 27th March 2015
  #26
Gear Addict
 
morphtec's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 View Post
Yes! I would love to hear that.
Well then. Just made me sad again that they stopped making the M600.
Same V476b and of course absolutely no processing, just normalized the files. 320kBit/s MP3 ( I tried to upload the wav ... GS wouldn't let me).
Attached Files

2BeyerdynamicM88.mp3 (2.90 MB, 4348 views)

2BeyerdynamicM600.mp3 (2.90 MB, 4309 views)

Old 27th March 2015
  #27
Lives for gear
 
DirkP's Avatar
I have a kind of huge collection of old Beyerdynamics. Is your M600 a M600 Studio with the words "Soundstar mkIII" on the cage?
I have to compare them again, but I prefered both the M88 and even more so the M500 to the M600. Maybe it's just to lightweight compared to the others?
Does your M600 have two filters on the lower body with the markings off/1 and off/2?

My M88 is really old, it has the older connectors and like most of my other mics still handwritten frequency charts in their packages.
Being mostly a bassplayer, most of the times I just love to look at them.
Today I recorded some bass with the M88.
Old 27th March 2015
  #28
Lives for gear
 
guitarboy94's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphtec View Post
This thread got me thinking, so I set my M201 and M88 side by side on a stereo bar (not really accurate, I know) and recorded my voice and some guitar .... and yes, I see why people prefer the M88 - it has a nice high end sheen and focused mids and bass. I kinda have to eat my words now it seems, because today I preferred the M88 ... sorry. I did a quick and dirty take with my M600 alone afterwards and it still smokes them both though ... :-)
Here are the files if someone cares. Recorded through Neumann V476b.
Great test! Just as I suspected, the M88 sounds fuller and more flattering on your voice, but the M201 sounds better on the acoustic.
Old 27th March 2015
  #29
Lives for gear
 
guitarboy94's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphtec View Post
Well then. Just made me sad again that they stopped making the M600.
Same V476b and of course absolutely no processing, just normalized the files. 320kBit/s MP3 ( I tried to upload the wav ... GS wouldn't let me).
M600 sounds great. I hear more clarity than the M88.
Old 28th March 2015
  #30
Gear Addict
 
morphtec's Avatar
I have two M600 and they are both the "studio" version with no on/off switch and two low cut filter. The versions shouldn't be differing sound wise (unless filters engaged) because all M600 share the same cartridge. They were all "Soundstar mkiii" ... that was Beyerdynamics flashy marketing name for the M600. The M400 was "Soundstar mkii". The first Soundstar was the X1N if I remember correctly.
I also own two M500 but didn't compare them to the M600 ... M500 beeing a ribbon mic and all.




Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
I have a kind of huge collection of old Beyerdynamics. Is your M600 a M600 Studio with the words "Soundstar mkIII" on the cage?
I have to compare them again, but I prefered both the M88 and even more so the M500 to the M600. Maybe it's just to lightweight compared to the others?
Does your M600 have two filters on the lower body with the markings off/1 and off/2?

My M88 is really old, it has the older connectors and like most of my other mics still handwritten frequency charts in their packages.
Being mostly a bassplayer, most of the times I just love to look at them.
Today I recorded some bass with the M88.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 5626 views: 1791127
Avatar for jamnxtdoor
jamnxtdoor 2 days ago
replies: 1111 views: 228426
Avatar for ObscureMics
ObscureMics 5 days ago
replies: 63 views: 5038
Avatar for snüzz
snüzz 3rd February 2011
replies: 66 views: 7719
Avatar for jerrydpi
jerrydpi 2nd January 2019
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump