The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Getting nice preamp units or a better ADAT??
Old 20th March 2015
Here for the gear

Getting nice preamp units or a better ADAT??

Hi guys!

Right now my recording setup is basically a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 and a Behringer ADA8000 ADAT unit. I really use all the 16 inputs, and i've been thinking about improving my pre's lately.

I was thinking about getting some nice stereo units, clean or coloured, but I've found a guy who's looking for an ADA800, and i'm wondering how much of a good idea would be to sell it to him and get a nicer ADAT unit in the 800-1000$ range (Focusrite Octopre Dynamic, Audient ASP880, ART TubeOpto 8...)

I would like to have individual hi-pass filters and phase switches per channel, but I put pre quality over everything.

I think that this setup for multimiking drums or whole bands, and a stereo preamp that gives me a plus for tracking vocals or guitars would be nice.

What do you think?

-Dani

PS: i have some nice mics like SM7b or Rode NT1, and i want to get the most out of them
Old 21st March 2015
Lives for gear

The audient asp008 or a digimax96k (no longer made) are probably a step up from what you have now. (There's also the new midas xl48.. but I've never heard them so can't comment on quality).

That said, getting the 2x ATI 8mx2 preamps (now JDK branded) plus a 16 channel converter/interface will definitely improve things.. but the expense will be different as well..

I feel that the 8mx2 is really the best 8 channel preamp in 1RU (considering its price)..
It's hiend without a real hiend price tag, while not being cheap though. (Eventually get an old used one with the red faceplate and the 48v on the front).

After that you'll find API3124, Aurora Audio GTP8, or lunchbox solutions at an higher price level (and performance as well of course).

I hope this helps somehow,

Cheu
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search