The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Revox PR99 Issue
Old 20th March 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Revox PR99 Issue

Hi all,

I recently bought a PR99 but unfortunately it took a bump in the mail.

Mechanically it works fine but there are a few electronics issues.

The output only works if you really drive signal through it, this seems like probably a cold solder joint or dirty contact to me.

The bigger issues are a couple of problems with the left channel.

If I set both VU's to 0dB then turn down the output of Logic by 5 dB without touching the machine, the left channel reads -7 but the right channel says -5.

This happens with the machine set to input monitor, I'm don't remember but I think it's also an issue in repro mode.

Also there's a strange scratching sort of sound coming from the left channel when playing back a tape. I've tried the Quantegy reel it came with as well as a reel of LPR35 I use on my Fostex R8.

I've put up a couple of audio clips to show what I mean. The problem isn't this bad, I've just boosted in by 20dB so it's easier to hear.

https://soundcloud.com/doug-cairns/sets/tape/s-GNlsU

Any help anyone has would be much appreciated.

My tech will hopefully be looking at the machine soon but I'm unsure whether I should just send it back to the seller or not.

Cheers
Old 24th March 2015
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_cairns View Post
Hi all,

I recently bought a PR99 but unfortunately it took a bump in the mail.

Mechanically it works fine but there are a few electronics issues.

The output only works if you really drive signal through it, this seems like probably a cold solder joint or dirty contact to me.

The bigger issues are a couple of problems with the left channel.

If I set both VU's to 0dB then turn down the output of Logic by 5 dB without touching the machine, the left channel reads -7 but the right channel says -5.

This happens with the machine set to input monitor, I'm don't remember but I think it's also an issue in repro mode.

Also there's a strange scratching sort of sound coming from the left channel when playing back a tape. I've tried the Quantegy reel it came with as well as a reel of LPR35 I use on my Fostex R8.

I've put up a couple of audio clips to show what I mean. The problem isn't this bad, I've just boosted in by 20dB so it's easier to hear.

https://soundcloud.com/doug-cairns/sets/tape/s-GNlsU

Any help anyone has would be much appreciated.

My tech will hopefully be looking at the machine soon but I'm unsure whether I should just send it back to the seller or not.

Cheers
Revox PR-99 were workhorse tape machines that needed very little maintenance to keep them running smoothly. It sounds like this machine needs some TLC. You are probably correct in that there is something not connected in the machine either a cold solder joint or a printed circuit card not seated properly in the connector. As to the channel difference that could just be a calibration issue and will get fixed when the tech goes over your machine.

The PR-99 were used for remote recording and for broadcast and proved to be very rugged and trustworthy under less than ideal circumstances. Best of luck!
Old 30th March 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Revox PR-99 were workhorse tape machines that needed very little maintenance to keep them running smoothly. It sounds like this machine needs some TLC. You are probably correct in that there is something not connected in the machine either a cold solder joint or a printed circuit card not seated properly in the connector. As to the channel difference that could just be a calibration issue and will get fixed when the tech goes over your machine.

The PR-99 were used for remote recording and for broadcast and proved to be very rugged and trustworthy under less than ideal circumstances. Best of luck!
Thanks very much for the info

My tech had a look at it on Friday, said it was just a loose connection. He's going to give it a proper clean and service over easter

He basically said the same as you, that the machine just needed a bit of TLC. As for the scratching/gurgling noise, he thinks the heads need demagnetizing.

Hopefully I'll have it back and working properly in a couple of weeks

Thanks again
📝 Reply