The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Yamaha MSP7 lowend sine wave weird test results
Old 20th March 2015
Lives for gear

Yamaha MSP7 lowend sine wave weird test results

I did this test on my listening monitors Yamaha MSP7's

The Ultimate Bass Test | Ultra Low Frequency Range Test

It is a bit weird because I start hearing a hum at 30HZ and it gets louder at 40HZ and 50HZ but then at 60 -70 HZ it dips softer a bit and then starts to pick up closer to 100HZ. Is this normal? Could somebody else out there also please do this test and see what you get? How should these results be interpreted? Oh perhaps should mention that my room is fairly well treated in all the main reflection points.
Old 21st March 2015
What kind of treatment do you have? It's most likely an issue with the room. A dip in that area is common in home studios.
Old 21st March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by auralart View Post
What kind of treatment do you have? It's most likely an issue with the room. A dip in that area is common in home studios.
I used treatments as per the video since my listening space is the same size as the room used in this video (16ft by 11ft). I used 4 inch panels instead of two inch panels for increased absorption of low end in all my treatments on all early reflection points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9u7k2V4YPw

I don't think it has to do with my room. and what you are saying about home studios also is new to me. In all the books I have read none have said that the problem frequency would be 60-70hz while the frequency below that would be normal. Could you point me to your source of info please? What other tests could I do?
Old 21st March 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by attaboy_jhb View Post
I did this test on my listening monitors Yamaha MSP7's
(...)
It is a bit weird because I start hearing a hum at 30HZ
Without sub?

This test is not good. When the man said "30" i see 36-37Hz in analyzer from Adobe Audition.

Last edited by Kyle_PL; 21st March 2015 at 01:01 PM..
Old 21st March 2015
Gear Guru

I think a sub with the MSP7s would just give you a false sense of bass.

Just keep in mind what 90%+ of people are using to play music on these days.

As mentioned in the Other MSP7 thread you started recently, you gotta learn to read them and adjust your mixes accordingly.

You don't have to buy a $10K system to hear how your work sounds on a $10K
system.

Go to a better audiophile store, but also check your mixes on everything from car stereos, headphones, TV speakers, computer speakers to get the best overall mix.
Old 21st March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_PL View Post
Without sub?

This test is not good. When the man said "30" i see 36-37Hz in analyzer from Adobe Audition.
yip without sub...it is very soft but I hear the first hum at the that frequency
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search