The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
converter shifts phase 180°
Old 20th March 2015
Gear Maniac

converter shifts phase 180°

i had some issues with my apogee psx 100 in my studio (1-2bit clicks every 2-3min while recording), couldnt solve the problem. so i brought my apogee at home where i have also a rme fireface400. connected them both via spdif, and connected the da with the ad of the apogee with two xlr cables.
send some nice erik satie piano music to the da of the apogge and recorded with the ad of the same one, everything without clicks, BUT then i saw that the re-recored music hat an 180° shift.
its not a big isuee as with pushing the 180° button in the DAW the problem is solved.
but someone experienced this before?
and could i solve it?
Old 20th March 2015
Lives for gear

Check the cables first.

Perhaps pin 2 and 3 is swapped on one connector.
Old 20th March 2015
Lives for gear

I've experienced clicks from my PSX-100 as well. It turns out I had the the DAW and PSX set to two different sample rates. Turns out they really like to be on the same page. Who Knew?
I doubt this has anything to do with your phase issue, but the North American standard for XLR is Pin 1 ground, pin 3 Hot(+) and pin 2 (-). In Europe it used to be pin 2 hot. I'm not sure if it still is. Like Audiop says, check your cables and maybe your manuals as well.
Old 21st March 2015
Gear Addict

Generally, pin 2 is hot on 3-pin XLR connectors, everywhere.

Best,

TT
Old 21st March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo4u View Post
I've experienced clicks from my PSX-100 as well. It turns out I had the the DAW and PSX set to two different sample rates. Turns out they really like to be on the same page. Who Knew?
I doubt this has anything to do with your phase issue, but the North American standard for XLR is Pin 1 ground, pin 3 Hot(+) and pin 2 (-). In Europe it used to be pin 2 hot. I'm not sure if it still is. Like Audiop says, check your cables and maybe your manuals as well.
The standard is pretty much Pin 2 Hot(+) and Pin 3(-) for XLR gear everywhere. Yes there was a time when some gear was Pin 3 hot but that was decades ago.
Old 21st March 2015
Lives for gear

When something is wrong you don't assume that everything is right.

Cables may be homebrew, old, funky yada..

Balanced electronic gear also normally is 2 hot, 3 cold, 1 GND but not always and cables are easiest to check first.

Also if OP wants to correct polarity (in the physical world in contrast to digital) it's easier to modify the cables than to go into the converters.
Old 21st March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by couch11 View Post
The standard is pretty much Pin 2 Hot(+) and Pin 3(-) for XLR gear everywhere. Yes there was a time when some gear was Pin 3 hot but that was decades ago.
Yes, that's correct. I had to look at an XLR to confirm. In my mind's eye I had pin 2 at the bottom. Pin 1 and 2 are actually across from each other. My bad. I have used some older European made gear with a hot pin 3 and with vintage gear and even old cables kicking around, it's good to confirm with a manual. Although, in this case, it would likely be one side out of phase with the other, so I would suspect the cable first.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search