The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
adding guitar pedal in mix? too late? (potentially stupid question)
Old 20th March 2015
Lives for gear

adding guitar pedal in mix? too late? (potentially stupid question)

ok I put this in general area not guitars, because it has more to do with utilizing guitar fx in the context of a mix, and not really a guitar player thing. i have this mix coming up and it is a very prog metal sort of thing and has some wicked guitar solos. unfortunately the guitars (in this case the leads) were recorded bone dry, and they are desperately asking for some nice evh style flanger. so my question is, has anyone ever had success using a guitar pedal to get phasing on an actual amp'd recording on a lead?

I always prefer dry guitars to add delays and reverbs but with the phaser I feel it's more to do with how it reacts in the front end and how it hits the amp. I don't have a phase 90, but I would buy it just for this if it would still give that effect.

thx
Old 20th March 2015
Gear Head
The phaser will definitely sound different applied to the distorted miced amp than if it was before the amp, but IMO both are equally valid methods.

It may be possible to get it sound more like it was recorded w/ the phaser by applying the effect in parallel and rolling off the highs of the phased signal, or maybe adding some distortion to the effect return.
Old 20th March 2015
Lives for gear

reamp the dry guitar signal, send through your flanger/phaser, and re-record that.

And don't forget about the Small Stone for a phaser. Can't really go wrong I don't think with either of those phaser options.
Old 20th March 2015
Lives for gear

don't have DI tracks :(((

that's what I have done in the past to add stuff like compression to clean guitars (which sounds different before amp rather than in mixing)

but in this case no DI.... any my previous experience has me nervous that it won't sound the same, the people didn't record DI tracks either of course
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search