The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Abbey Road Institute
Old 20th March 2015
Gear Guru

If she is to survive on her own these days, she will need to earn about $60K just to be self sufficient without spouse or room mates.

I have three daughters. A young lady will have to work twice as hard to prove herself if they even open the door.

Frankly, girls do better than guys in most stuff requiring brain power.

Seriously because the audio field is so saturated, take it as a minor and go for big bucks in a career requiring more in demand skills.

She would have a better career opportunity spending that lesson money on flying lessons, network security, mechanical engineering and robotics.

I told my girls to choose a career path where the clients have more money than common sense. My two youngest chose Tourism-Marketing and Landscape Architecture. Both will be making more money than me after 3 years than I earned after 30 years.
Old 20th March 2015
Here for the gear

Hey guys - give me a well trained graduate from a good school (private or government) - and I've had a number of good and bad graduates from both government and private schools - its all about their attitude! Everytime we took one of the self thaught guy that learns it all on Youtube and buys a bit of home studio gear, thinks he knows it all - without exception they all have the wrong attitude for this business! and I know having produced, engineered over 100 albums and I don't know how many commercials. I don't know if this new school at Abbey Road is good or bad, time will tell. I can tell you that every time I worked there the assistants and staff where great, I hope this is translated to their school.
Old 20th March 2015
Lives for gear

psh. Abbey Road. Can't be any good can it? I doubt they have anywhere near enough experience to teach how to make tea, much less the ins and outs of serious studio work.

Seriously, though: None of us know the reasons, but only can speculate there is a financial need for opening courses there. It is a bit frightening, though not altogether surprising. I dread the possible future day when Abbey Road Studios is a museum only and curators guide busloads of tourists through roped off studios with equipment not even plugged in.
Old 20th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisthemenace View Post
Hey guys - give me a well trained graduate from a good school (private or government) - and I've had a number of good and bad graduates from both government and private schools - its all about their attitude! Everytime we took one of the self thaught guy that learns it all on Youtube and buys a bit of home studio gear, thinks he knows it all - without exception they all have the wrong attitude for this business! and I know having produced, engineered over 100 albums and I don't know how many commercials. I don't know if this new school at Abbey Road is good or bad, time will tell. I can tell you that every time I worked there the assistants and staff where great, I hope this is translated to their school.
How fast can one pay off their student loans when working for you?

My problem with audio schools is less that they provide a quality education but more that they cost way too much for their return on investment.
Old 21st March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
How fast can one pay off their student loans when working for you?

My problem with audio schools is less that they provide a quality education but more that they cost way too much for their return on investment.
Im going to one now and this is exatly my problem. The fee's for all degree courses here are ridiculous, and im doing my best to find out whether the best thing for me to do would be to bail out with maybe an internship, or stick it out and hope my own competency will get me places.
Old 21st March 2015
Lives for gear

So I was just reading the Custom 75 install thread and saw this...

Quote:
Cool to finally see the first custom 75 series installed in the US - I just installed the first Custom Series 75 console in abbey road institute - part of abbey road studios.

Its a great concept and console great sound if I say so myself I designed the console
But then you're writing this here?

Quote:
I happen to be at Abbey Road Studios on a session and the buzz was that they just opened a new Institute - don't know much about it but it is affiliated with the studios!
Quote:
And it just makes me wonder... Are you trolling/shilling this thread as an undisclosed affiliate of the Abbey Road Institute? You should probably put it in your profile if you are. Just saying.

R.
Old 21st March 2015
Lives for gear

My previous intent was to make the point that the more you know about a posters work (in audio/video) the more their post means to the reader. I did not mean to imply dishonesty and certainly did not expect to have such a shining example of the value of exposed affiliations in the same thread.

My understanding of GS policy is that posters have to "disclose their affiliations if they're in any way promoting their products".

Yes, I know the GS rules do not require affiliation disclosure by 'everyone'. I'm simply suggesting that absent a GS policy that by its nature seeks to inform the audio community who they are dealing with, that (at a minimum) vendors of all types selling to the community benefit from voluntary disclosure.

Hence my reference/example to/of Jonathan. Many of us do take notice.

As you were/are......

Last edited by Mike O; 21st March 2015 at 01:57 AM.. Reason: Fixed quote of policy.
Old 21st March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
My previous intent was to make the point that the more you know about a posters work (in audio/video) the more their post means to the reader. I did not mean to imply dishonesty and certainly did not expect to have such a shining example of the value of exposed affiliations in the same thread.

My understanding that disclosing affiliations is only required when you are a dealer.

Yes, I know the GS rules do not require affiliation disclosure by 'everyone'. I'm simply suggesting that absent a GS policy that by its nature seeks to inform the audio community who they are dealing with, that (at a minimum) vendors of all types selling to the community benefit from voluntary disclosure.

Hence my reference/example to/of Jonathan. Many of us do take notice.

As you were/are......
Sorry Mike. I didn't even see your post earlier. To be honest, considering Psycho already slapped his wrist for multiple posts, I wouldn't be surprised if robertlloyd123 and denisthemenace are in fact the same person.

R.
Old 21st March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey View Post
Sorry Mike. I didn't even see your post earlier. To be honest, considering Psycho already slapped his wrist for multiple posts, I wouldn't be surprised if robertlloyd123 and denisthemenace are in fact the same person.

R.
No apology needed! I don't see any kind of slap in this thread by PM. I still think this is a great example why the policy is flawed at best. The best vendors (of all types) however do seem to 'get it'.
Old 21st March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
PS you posted this same question on 3 random threads. Don't do that
Quote:
No apology needed! I don't see any kind of slap in this thread by PM. I still think this is a great example why the policy is flawed at best. The best vendors (of all types) however do seem to 'get it'.
At least I'm not the only one that doesn't read all the way through individual posts...

R.
Old 21st March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
At least I'm not the only one that doesn't read all the way through individual posts...

R.
I think I am missing something. I *think* PM is referring to the original poster (robertlloyd123) who posted the same question on three threads not denisthemenace. Yes?
Old 21st March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think I am missing something. I *think* PM is referring to the original poster (robertlloyd123) who posted the same question on three threads not denisthemenace. Yes?
Well let's see...

robertlloyd123 signs up on 19/03 and makes three posts about the Abbey Road Insitute.

denisthemenace signs up on 19/03 and says he's "doing a session" in Abbey Road and says there's a "buzz was that they just opened a new Institute - don't know much about it but it is affiliated with the studios!"

A multitude of people say schools are relatively worthless which then leads denisthemenace talk about how he's take a well trained graduate over someone that learned on YouTube...
oh I'll just quote it again..

Originally Posted by denisthemenace

THEN he in another thread says he's just INSTALLED a Custom 75 at the, you guessed it, the Abbey Road Institute.

To add another layer of non-transperancy (and maybe an explanation as to why he's so supportive of recording schools) when I first saw this thread and Googled Abbey Road Institute a little Guardian piece popped up and it turns out that Luca Barassi (who runs Abbey Road Institute) was also a lecturer (and, cough, an Alumni) of (you've probably guessed) SAE London.

Coincidence? Hmmm. But you know... Whatever!

R.
Old 21st March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well let's see...

robertlloyd123 signs up on 19/03 and makes three posts about the Abbey Road Insitute.

denisthemenace signs up on 19/03 and says he's "doing a session" in Abbey Road and says there's a "buzz was that they just opened a new Institute - don't know much about it but it is affiliated with the studios!"

A multitude of people say schools are relatively worthless which then leads denisthemenace talk about how he's take a well trained graduate over someone that learned on YouTube...
oh I'll just quote it again..

Originally Posted by denisthemenace

THEN he in another thread says he's just INSTALLED a Custom 75 at the, you guessed it, the Abbey Road Institute.

To add another layer of non-transperancy (and maybe an explanation as to why he's so supportive of recording schools) when I first saw this thread and Googled Abbey Road Institute a little Guardian piece popped up and it turns out that Luca Barassi (who runs Abbey Road Institute) was also a lecturer (and, cough, an Alumni) of, you guessed it, SAE London.

Coincidence? Hmmm. But you know... Whatever!

R.
That is all true and I for appreciate your observations. I don't know... it did not seem clear to me that Psycho's "PS you posted this same question on 3 random threads. Don't do that."; was in response to multiple identities. I think he would have simply banned/suspended him if that were the case.

Additionally, all dennisthemenace posts were made after Psycho chastised robertloyd123 so they can't be included in the three that Psycho was talking about.

In any case, a sincere thanks for the observations re: dennisthemenace. Silly stuff.
Old 21st March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
That is all true and I for appreciate your observations. I don't know... it did not seem clear to me that Psycho's "PS you posted this same question on 3 random threads. Don't do that."; was in response to multiple identities. I think he would have simply banned/suspended him if that were the case.
Hahaha. I never said it was! I'm just pointing that PM mentioned he'd (robertlloyd123) already posted the same question in 3 random threads.

A new member signs up and posts like that? Could be a lack of knowledge concerning forum etiquette but it's also old-skool spamming which most people have caught onto by now, right?

No. I'm the one that thinks that it isn't too far fetched that they (denisethemenace and robertlloyd123) are the same person. Or at least from the same "institute".

But really, whatever.

R.
Old 21st March 2015
Lives for gear

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search