The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mohog Audio 76FET vs Serpent Audio Splice
Old 30th November 2017
Yeah, it's no secret but it starts to get really expensive for a comp that's just a clone and proudly labels the fact.

I have POM building me one with an original o12 ouncer and a Sowter to choose from on a REV A PCB.

It'll be interesting to see whether it makes much difference and how much.

Having owned many OG Revisions including the OG Rev A. I must say I prefer having new matching ones for stereo work and reliability. YMMV

I've also ordered 2 x Stam SA-76's as they have Sowter transformers too and I just like Sowter.

The Splice is excellent BTW and I would recommend it for the blend alone.
As is the Mohog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
The secret with the Pro Replicas is to source the original transformers and send them to Robert and he will incorporate them into your build.

IIRC Roundbadge has a Blue Stripe Pro Replicas with original NOS Xformers, in one post, he said was one of the very best vocal tracking comp he has!

I'm drawn between a Pro Replicas Black Face or the Splice MK2.

I also like the look of the Pro Replicas LA2A which is hand made all point to point wiring.
Old 30th November 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Yeah, it's no secret but it starts to get really expensive for a comp that's just a clone and proudly labels the fact.

I have POM building me one with an original o12 ouncer and a Sowter to choose from on a REV A PCB.

It'll be interesting to see whether it makes much difference and how much.

Having owned many OG Revisions including the OG Rev A. I must say I prefer having new matching ones for stereo work and reliability. YMMV

I've also ordered 2 x Stam SA-76's as they have Sowter transformers too and I just like Sowter.

The Splice is excellent BTW and I would recommend it for the blend alone.
As is the Mohog.
Ha-ha yes "secret" was the wrong word - I kinda meant the "best approach"

I do want to get into the 1176 thing - I currently use a Retro STA Level for tracking my voice which is great (big girth and very forgiving - sounds lik there's a joke in there) but it has a very definite sonic footprint and sometimes I'm looking for something different.

I'd really like to experiment with the 1176 > LA2A sound for tracking vox.
Old 30th November 2017
Quote:
Ha-ha yes "secret" was the wrong word - I kinda meant the "best approach"

I do want to get into the 1176 thing - I currently use a Retro STA Level for tracking my voice which is great (big girth and very forgiving - sounds lik there's a joke in there) but it has a very definite sonic footprint and sometimes I'm looking for something different.

I'd really like to experiment with the 1176 > LA2A sound for tracking vox.
Yeah that's a winner but a lot of colour. Used that combo for years. I like high quality vari mu's with an 1176 clone these days.
Old 30th November 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yeah that's a winner but a lot of colour. Used that combo for years. I like high quality vari mu's with an 1176 clone these days.
My Retro STA Level is a vari mu so I guess it might sound good in series with an 1176 clone.

Do you think as I already own a Retro STA Level that an LA2A is not worth owning and a bit of a double up?

I want to spend money on owning gear that sounds different to gear I already have - if it's too similar then it's a waste of my limited resources.
Old 30th November 2017
Quote:
My Retro STA Level is a vari mu so I guess it might sound good in series with an 1176 clone.

Do you think as I already own a Retro STA Level that an LA2A is not worth owning and a bit of a double up?

I want to spend money on owning gear that sounds different to gear I already have - if it's too similar then it's a waste of my limited resources.
Try it with an 1176 first, I don't have a Sta Level but I hear they are very good so I don't see why not. I use a Mercury 66 or an Amtec 099 usually with a Purple until now.
Old 30th November 2017
Lives for gear
Thanks - as ever - great info.

Just had a look - Wow that Amtec 099 and Mercury 66 looks fantastic - and I thought a Retro STA Level was expensive - yikes those are not cheap units.
Old 27th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here is also the other classy clone - The Purple MC77 and the wonderful Wes Mimas, a 500 module with full USB automation and a Carnhill transformer.

I've also included due to a request the original file with zero processing. 24/44.1k

I'm not sure they're the same volume as the previous files but it should give you a general idea.

The singer is a good friend called Rachel who I have worked with for 25 years or so. She was the original singer in Morcheeba. You can hear her version of "Col" on my sound cloud page.

Apart from compression there is zero processing. No EQ just the room sound.

The microphone was a Neumann SM69.

Enough rambling they should have loaded by now....
Thanks for these Paul, very helpful (along with the Serp/Moh). Might have to grab a Mimas. A lot of positives going for it.

Great thread.
Old 27th December 2017
Lives for gear
I would like to hear some of the pro's take on the Awtac 500 Series compressor. Not as flexible in its attack times but with true blend and a useful drive knob to add hair...it is quite the comp in my opinion.
Old 21st October 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hi here's a basic 4:1 ratio hit quite hard to give you an idea of both comps on both of their different settings:
Well I hope that all audios are level matched. Mohog seams here more finished sounding, actually it sounds like a record already while Serpent seams to luck some sweet details that both modes of the Mohog pushed very nice in front. And yes, you can hear that "hair" on provided Mohog samples. Between Serpent's black and blue mode I liked more black on this dry vocals and you can hear that original Urei D revision action with little bit of tightening the source but still gets in front nuances very nice. Although Mohog sounds here better to me I could not judge out of this samples which to buy first because Mohog is revision F replica and Serpent is revision A and D replica which could sound maybe better on some other vocals or sources especially if in mix. On the other hand the Serpent has the mix knob and some other features so it opens totally another possibilities of shaping the sound so it's really hard to say which unit I would prefer more without comparing my self turning the knobs and feeling the action and hearing it's impact on the sound with both units. To be honest I don't care how much I am limiting on the vu meter, it's nice to see it but it's sound that tells me did I got the shape I want so actually it's questionable to test the same sources between different units with same ratios because they could just have a different action so one ratio for one unit doesn't need to work with another unit and we are talking about the smallest moves on the knob here that somethimes really can make a difference..

P.S. Did someone had a chance to compare some of these compressors with Pete's place bac 500? I am interested in that one too but still not decided jet with which one to go first for my home studio.. too many options..

Last edited by heavengroove; 21st October 2018 at 11:54 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
The Mohog Carnhill setting seems to just soak up the vocals a little more than the Mimas and have a little more hair. Pretty close though, I possibly didn't saturate the Mimas so much as I's only just got it when I made the samples.
Hey man, just found this, and I've been pondering a Mimas or a Serpent. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on Mimas now, since you said you probably hadn't driven it much for the example. I downloaded these, and it seems a tad week, compared to the Serpent. What do you think now that it's been a bit?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by pardonband View Post
Hey man, just found this, and I've been pondering a Mimas or a Serpent. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on Mimas now, since you said you probably hadn't driven it much for the example. I downloaded these, and it seems a tad week, compared to the Serpent. What do you think now that it's been a bit?
I love them. I drive them hard and use them for automation on vocals and they work perfectly. Being able to automatically switch settings, add saturation and all buttons in mode for different sections of songs is terrific. I have a rack full of Mimas, Dione's and the Eq's and they all sound great.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search