The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Help me Pan
Old 17th December 2006
Lives for gear

Help me Pan

I have usually place the kit in relation how you would face it, but some times the kick interferes with the vocals, what is the solution? How far do some of you, like to pan out the kits pieces?

I have no clue where to pan bass guitar, soft right/left 10%? I usually just have one mono DI track, but sometimes I have another mic'd mono track for bigger bass sounds.

What about synth sounds? I am usually hard panning guitar tracks. So where would I best place synth, right beside-so to speak?

Last, do you pro's usually place a intrument solo (like guitar) dead center?

Merry Christmas bruthas!
Old 17th December 2006
Gear Guru

I've never had a problem with a Kick interfering with a vocal.

Are you singing thru a pillow?

I pan the drums as they appear. I don't go too wide on the toms though. Just a bit to the side.

The vocal is always up the middle with bk vox usually hard left and right doubled. Away from the lead.

Heavy guitars hard left and right, and sub-melody guitars near or completely center. If they fight with the vocal I will pan them away. Same with keys or synth parts.

Solos usually up the middle.
Old 17th December 2006
Lives for gear

Synths between your R/L heavy guitars and center voice?
Old 18th December 2006
Lives for gear

anyone have anything to add or does everybody pan this way?????????????????
Old 18th December 2006
Lives for gear

What's interesting to me is that your vocals are "interfering" with your bass drum. The two usually don't share the same part of the frequency spectrum at all. If the bass drum was too clicky it could be annoying, but that really doesn't have anything to do with the vocals...Perhaps you could elaborate on the problems you're experiencing?

For what it's worth, I usually pan the drums as I see them, and try to place the toms as they appear in the stereo image of the overheads and/or rooms (sometimes hard-panned, sometimes not-as-hardpanned.) Snare and bass drum are dead center 99% of the time. Same as Produceher with guitars, synths, leads, etc.
Old 18th December 2006
Gear Maniac

Drums: just as they sound coming through the OH's (which are panned roughly 75% l - 75% r). This usually means: kick center, snare somewhat center, hihat a bit to the right...

Bass: center

Guitars: either hard l-r, or center

Solo guitar: usually center

Synths: to the place where the least energy is, to fill up the "gap".

I really don't see how the kick could interfere with the vocals. This sounds more like a recording or EQ problem than a panning issue. Make sure there's not too much low end energy in the vocals.
Old 18th December 2006
Lives for gear

One more voice chiming in to say that it is strange that the kick is interfering with the vox. probably well over 90% or rock and pop and country and blues... records have the kick and the lead vox panned in the center. That does not mean that is the way you have to do it, but it is certainlly the norm.

Subtractive EQ could probably be a better way to solve the problem.
Old 20th December 2006
Lives for gear

hi thanks guys. I haven't experienced a kick/vox issue yet personally. However while listening to some mainstream pop music recently, studying it actually, I noticed to my amazement that, though at much different frequencies, the kick seemed to fighting the vox at times in mix clarity.

BTW is it norm that BASS guitar and the kick/snare are all ON dead center????
Seems like a lot considering vox is there, too.
What about background vocals? dead center or hard panned?
Old 20th December 2006
Gear Head

Hey Peeps!

What about voices like Barry White's? Would a DEEP voice interfere with the Kick and Bass line at any time?
I can't say i hear any such problems in any of Barry White's songs though, just wondered.
Old 21st December 2006
Lives for gear

?? anyone
Old 21st December 2006
Lives for gear

I've never had vocals interfere with kick drum, but I recently had a bass track and kick give me a hell of a time.

What if you do this. Put the same EQ on each track. And lets say you boost 3k on the vocal, drop 3k a bit on the kick. Same with other frequencies. 500hz a bit up on vocal, and down on kick. It should allow for some breathing room if they're fighting. Just contrast each eq while still maintaining a sound on each source that you're happy with.

I like URS 10 band for stuff like this.

As far as panning, I've moved bass about 5 percent left (or right), depending on other elements in the song. If I find that the right side sounds busy/heavy as is with guitar, toms and so on, I'll pan the bass slightly to the left. You could do this with your kick. Keep it subtle, but just enough to let the vocals do their thing.

Best of luck!
Old 15th May 2007
Gear Head

This doesn't seem to be a likely scenario, but you say it's happening, and I believe you...

The only thing that comes to mind is frequency masking...the vox and kick are fighting in a certain frequency range, drop the volume of one and it should go away.

Frequency masking is a big problem to deal with sometimes, and there's only a few different ways around it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search