The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
High-end or high quality DJ soundcard?
Old 18th March 2015
Lives for gear

High-end or high quality DJ soundcard?

Good day, evening, night or mornig!

So im looking for recomendations for "high-end" or high quality DJ soundcards, if it even exists such a thing. Most important factors are:

1. Needs 2x stereo outs
2. D/A sound quality (obviously)
3. Stability
4. Size (smaller is better)
5. Weight (should be less then 500grams)
6. For WinPC

I got recomended RME Babyface because of its stability, small size and decent sound. When running 2x stereo outs (standard DJ i/o) one pair must be the headphones out. The guy who recomended it said it was fine like this. He has almost 20 years pro experience. Ive been performing at big venues with the best PA systems for some years now and id like to give the audience the best possible experience.

The MOTU Microbook ll looks great future wise, and with a very nice size and weight. But MOTU isnt what id consider among the top brands, or has it changed?

For the real top brands I cant seem to find anything..

Id love to hear other experiences and recomendations!

Kind regards,
Kim

Last edited by Kimotei; 18th March 2015 at 01:38 PM..
Old 18th March 2015
Lives for gear
If your gigging a lot you have to watch the usb inputs and power inputs of the motus, they have broken on me several times - they sound fine though. I'd go for the rme myself , consider the fireface too.
Old 19th March 2015
Gear Head
Did you try Native Instruments Audio 2 (or Traktor Audio 2)?
I think it's the best card for your purpose. It has very good D/A (Of course RME is better, but I think it's worthless in clubs and PA systems). It's small (like a pack of cigarettes) and low weight.
I'm very satisfied with it's sound, using it for about 3 years... Also have RME Babyface in studio but never compare audio quality between them...
RME Babyface is not such friendly for connection... every time you should plug "multipin" connector, place it on clear surfice etc..
NI Audio 2 is made for DJ purposes and IMHO, they made a great value for money.
Old 20th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by meex View Post
Did you try Native Instruments Audio 2 (or Traktor Audio 2)?
I think it's the best card for your purpose. It has very good D/A (Of course RME is better, but I think it's worthless in clubs and PA systems). It's small (like a pack of cigarettes) and low weight.
I'm very satisfied with it's sound, using it for about 3 years... Also have RME Babyface in studio but never compare audio quality between them...
RME Babyface is not such friendly for connection... every time you should plug "multipin" connector, place it on clear surfice etc..
NI Audio 2 is made for DJ purposes and IMHO, they made a great value for money.
Are you using Audio 2 for pro gigs? I have been testing it for a while at home, tried it on a couple of gigs. The size is exelent. But it screwed me over. It does not like table vibrations. Only minijack outs is not very pro. What ive been using for some years now is Audio 8. But this one is also very senstive to LF vibrations. I have to change usb cables all the time. Within few weeks they get sloppy and loose in the usb connection on the soundcard, and sound may crack or even full stop from PA vibrations. (I always have some sort of backup but still it makes me nervous) Also the drivers of these soundcards are awfull on windows 7. High cpu spikes loop like every 10 second. A workaround is to shut of the wifi card and the network card to get those spikes down a little, which I always do. On low latency settings or lighter then medium Ableton Live projects they can easily make the audio cracle. NI suport helped me a lot a few years ago, and this was the final solution.

Id like more stable stuf, and better sound quality. I play mostly on funktion 1 and similar high quality PAs, mostly outdoor at festivals etc, so the sound experience is often exelent at these venues. No room reflections etc.

Last edited by Kimotei; 20th March 2015 at 02:17 PM..
Old 20th March 2015
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimotei View Post
Are you using Audio 2 for pro gigs? I have been testing it for a while at home, tried it on a couple of gigs. The size is exelent. But it screwed me over. It does not like table vibrations. Only minijack outs is not very pro. What ive been using for some years now is Audio 8. But this one is also very senstive to LF vibrations. I have to change usb cables all the time. Within few weeks they get sloppy and loose in the usb connection on the soundcard, and sound may crack or even full stop from PA vibrations. (I always have some sort of backup but still it makes me nervous) Also the drivers of these soundcards are awfull on windows 7. High cpu spikes loop like every 10 second. A workaround is to shut of the wifi card and the network card to get those spikes down a little, which I always do. On low latency settings or lighter then medium Ableton Live projects they can easily make the audio cracle. NI suport helped me a lot a few years ago, and this was the final solution.

Id like more stable stuf, and better sound quality. I play mostly on funktion 1 and similar high quality PAs, mostly outdoor at festivals etc, so the sound experience is often exelent at these venues. No room reflections etc.
I don't use Traktor when playing a big gigs. There are always CDJ 2000 (Nexus) and I play thru CDJ (without laptop also, just USB). But I'm resident in big clubs (capacity 600-800 people) and I never had any problem with vibrations from subwoofers. Maybe once my USB connector loosen up (female USB on the soundcard) and I just used some tools just to adjust them to be in proper position, to have better (stronger) touch with cable. But thats all for 3 years of continuos usage (2 - 3 times per week). My friend , also DJ use Audio 4 and never had any problems for almost 4 years..

NI Audio 2 has normal connector on outputs (1/4 TRS), I don't know what you called it "minijack outs"...

Also, I've had never use Windows for DJ-ing, only Mac (OSx), so I don't know anything about driver stability on Windows, but on the Mac, it works very well...

Also, I'm not sure will RME Babyface suffer from the same problems with vibrations...It has the same USB connector (I think it's the cause)..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search