The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Seeking advice for project studio gear!
Old 18th March 2015
Here for the gear

Seeking advice for project studio gear!

Greetings! I've been floating around for awhile, but this will be my first post!

I need your help!!!!! lol I'm finally building my studio in a 9x7 room in the house I just moved into. It has a sliding door and everything. It was a true miracle!

I have a lot of plans for my gear already, but since I just starting out and getting things to get by for awhile, I was wondering what anyone would recommend. Basically, I'm opening up my home for anyone that needs a high quality recording for a budget.

And my budget wise, right now, I won't say the name, but my current job is at a very reliable source for this. lol I won't say where, but I'll say the word if someone guesses correctly.
After an Unexpected angel came in and asked if anyone need a rack unit, I have room! What I'm taking a look into is older, could be vintage unique gear. I've been hunting Ebay for anything under 300 for rack outboard gear for a studio. If its worth it, I'll get it. We're just, I'd say 500 would make me squirm, 600 would make me sweat, and 1000 would just make me plan uncomfortable!

Let me go ahead and give you the low down on what I know I'll have after my shopping list is complete.

----------
Computer Daw and Plugins
Apple Mac Mini (2012 version)
Pro Tools 10
Reason 7
Ozone 6
UAD Firewire Satellite Duo
I also HAVE the Scarlett 8i6, but It's getting upgraded and I know to what.
If you haven't seen the Clarett Ranges yet, hop over to Focusrite and commence the drooling. I'm getting the bigen. The 8preX looks like it's lovely!! And, as much as an Apollo would be nice, I like to be unique.

Mics:
SM57 (x2....who doesn't have these!!? Oy. lol)
D112
Rode M5 stereo pair
Sterling ST69

I'd also like to have an extra vocal mic/guitar mic
Probably getting Sennheiser e906 and e604 pack
Stands and cables to go with.

Rack gear:
VLA ii with upgraded preamp tubes
Drawmer DS404 Gate
Behringer t1952 with either upgraded Ruby or JJ 12AU7 tubes.
2 Symetrix 501s
Joe Meek VC6Q

I'm also trained in film nerd, so I have a H4N and plan on getting a boom! I realllllllly want the MKH416 because it's what I'm used to. But we'll see.
----------------------------------------------

I am open up to ANY IDEAS! ANY. I'm probably the least bias audio engineer out there. Maybe not. But, I believe truly it's in the ears, brain, and at most the heart of the engineer working to make everything sound glorious, not the equipment.

I'm also looking at getting something by JoeMeek, I know it didn't used to be that PMI audio owned them, but if they are under the same umbrella as Toft, I thought I'd take a listen. I used a Toft board for a radio show in college, and the coloration that it gave our show was awesome! So, if there's something out there like that, share please! Also looking for a tape simulator, just incase.

I'm in the market of all genres I've got a americana girl, classic rock chick, a classy jazz piano player, a rapper obsessed with Al Capone and a heavy rock band all lined up after this is set! lol

Thanks for reading and now it's your turn! I'm all ears!

----------------------------------
soundcloud.com/kt7

Last edited by ktekulve; 25th March 2015 at 05:38 AM.. Reason: Update on gear
Old 18th March 2015
Lives for gear

I have no over all advice except figure out what you need to start(lots of pre's?/only two?ect/what's my buget?), because your looking at so many things simultaneously.
I really like your enthusiasm though, its cool.
Good luck with your new place.
Old 20th March 2015
Here for the gear

bump

Yes, I am looking for a lot, and I have an ideal budget, but if I don't know what I'm looking for from you all....

Anyway, just have me look up something that you think I might find interesting.
Thanks!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search