The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
coles 4038 w/focusrite scarlett?
Old 12th March 2015
Gear Head

coles 4038 w/focusrite scarlett?

hello:

i am buying a pair of coles 4038 for use with my dedicated studio, which has neve 1073 reissues. while i understand that the coles have a good gain requirement i think these pres should be capable.

i am also buying a focusrite scarlett 2i2 for use as a mobile recording platform. on their website focusrite quotes the gain spec for this unit as:

Gain Range -4dB to +46dB

does anyone have any input on whether the coles will have enough gain with this mobile preamp?

thanks in advance,
js
Old 12th March 2015
I have both and could try it, but my instinct says that unless it's loud source you'd be hard pressed to get a good signal. You could try a Cloud Lifter.

The 4038 output level is -65 dBv at 94 dB
Old 12th March 2015
+1 on a cloudlifter. I've had two people locally buy one after trying mine. One who regularly uses a 4038.
Old 12th March 2015
Gear Head

thanks- i just ordered a two channel cloudlifter.

j
Old 17th March 2015
Gear Head

all:

have moved from a two input to their 18i8, which has 60db of pre gain.

does that affect the need for a coudlifter with coles 4038s? ive heard that adding a cloudlifter when not necessary can adversely affect mic performance (sound).

thx, j
Old 18th March 2015
Check out this thread:https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...es-4038-a.html

I think it's possible you will have trouble with things like quiet acoustic guitars or vocals.
Old 18th March 2015
DO NOT GET A FOCUSRITE INTERFACE!

Try a Tascam UH-7000 or an Apogee Duet instead. No need for cloudlifters.

Coles/Scarlett 2i2 is like having the best wine to exist with a crappy steak dinner. Not a good idea.

Your 1073's btw should provide optimal gain for the Coles. If your 1073's don't provide enough gain you should get them checked out.

The Focusrite ISA/Red is a different story but whatever you do, DO NOT BUY FOCUSRITE INTERFACES!

u47u67u87
Old 18th March 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by u47u67u87 View Post
DO NOT GET A FOCUSRITE INTERFACE!

Try a Tascam UH-7000 or an Apogee Duet instead. No need for cloudlifters.

Coles/Scarlett 2i2 is like having the best wine to exist with a crappy steak dinner. Not a good idea.

Your 1073's btw should provide optimal gain for the Coles. If your 1073's don't provide enough gain you should get them checked out.

The Focusrite ISA/Red is a different story but whatever you do, DO NOT BUY FOCUSRITE INTERFACES!

u47u67u87

Hmmm really?

I find the preamps in the 18i8 to be very good, entirely useable. (I have Neve pres as well.)
Old 18th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkermann View Post
Hmmm really?

I find the preamps in the 18i8 to be very good, entirely useable. (I have Neve pres as well.)
+1 on this.

Scarlett boxes are totally useable.
Old 18th March 2015
I know because I've used them before and I just traded up to an Apogee and the difference is night and day. When I was buying I also checked out the Tascam UH-7000 which I would have gotten instead, had the Duet not been offered to me for an amazing price. The preamps in the Scarlett are fizzy and noisy, radio interference can be pretty bad (and has stopped sessions), the drivers are buggy, the support sucks, and both Logic and Pro Tools would crash when using it. Coles -> Neves -> Scarlett?!

Really?

It's your money man, do what you want with it. I'm just here to help you make the most informed decision. Not to slag off any company or any product.

u47u67u87

P.S. I love Focusrite's analogue gear, like the Red 1 and the ISA 428 Channel Strip. I haven't tried their Ethernet interface (RedNet) so I can't speak for that, but Focusrite's analogue gear is comparable to any Neve preamp out there. It's just that their Scarlett/Saffire range is pretty disappointing. I haven't tried the Clarett although it looks like the Scarlett/Saffire I/O packed into a thunderbolt chassis, with no significant improvements. Idk, YMMV
Old 18th March 2015
Gear Head

the focusrite would be my mobile rig. in my studio I would be using the neves/lynx.

hmmm, it does sound like a good test to evaluate the difference, maybe post?

lawson/coles -> neve -> lynx
lawson/coles -> focusrite
lawson/coles -> cloudlifter -> neve -> lynx
lawson/coles -> cloudlifter -> focusrite

i like the idea of testing gtr re-amp, as i can completely duplicate gtr performance and amp sound.

any thoughts on other test scenarios? ill try to put this together once i have the focusrite and cloudlifters.
Old 19th March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaschoon View Post
the focusrite would be my mobile rig. in my studio I would be using the neves/lynx.

hmmm, it does sound like a good test to evaluate the difference, maybe post?

lawson/coles -> neve -> lynx
lawson/coles -> focusrite
lawson/coles -> cloudlifter -> neve -> lynx
lawson/coles -> cloudlifter -> focusrite

i like the idea of testing gtr re-amp, as i can completely duplicate gtr performance and amp sound.

any thoughts on other test scenarios? ill try to put this together once i have the focusrite and cloudlifters.
I'd be interested to hear that
Old 19th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
....the difference is night and day. YMMV
Uh oh...red flag alert. There's the ol' "night and day" cliche'.
Old 19th March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 View Post
Uh oh...red flag alert. There's the ol' "night and day" cliche'.
Explain?
Old 19th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Explain?
I've learned to distrust this phrase: "Night and Day" Difference!"

That's all I'm gonna say.
Old 20th March 2015
I think guitarboy94 means that, it's a little dramatic to claim that the sound difference between a very decent audio interface and a more high end one is "night and day". You'd sound more credible by saying that there's a noticeable difference between the two, then go on to describe said difference. Night and day would be more applicable coming from, let's say, an old handheld tape recorder to a pro interface and good mic etc.. That would be quite worthy of the use of "night and day".
Old 20th March 2015
Ok, I understand now.

I should not be so exaggerated. I'm sorry about that, but I explained the differences.

One is much cleaner than the other.

"The preamps in the Scarlett are fizzy and noisy, radio interference can be pretty bad (and has stopped sessions), the drivers are buggy, the support sucks, and both Logic and Pro Tools would crash when using it."

u47u67u87
Old 20th March 2015
Quote:
Ok, I understand now.

I should not be so exaggerated. I'm sorry about that, but I explained the differences.

One is much cleaner than the other.

"The preamps in the Scarlett are fizzy and noisy, radio interference can be pretty bad (and has stopped sessions), the drivers are buggy, the support sucks, and both Logic and Pro Tools would crash when using it."

u47u67u87
As a scarlet 8i6 user, I can relate with the buggy driver thing. Almost 1 out of 3 times, when the auto-standby of my monitors turns them on, the card freezes and I have to do a power off/on. I guess a monitor controller would eliminate the issue but that's still unacceptable.

IMO the preamps are really decent considering the price of the interface. They do lack gain, which is why they can be noisy, since you have to crank them up quite a bit, especially with dynamic mics. But they do sound musical. AD/DA converters are pretty good, again giving the price. There's so much you can get for under 300$ and I feel that it's still a nice unit for it's price.

Of course it doesn't compare with 4 digits stuff but that should not be a point of reference.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search