The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO (closed) vs DT 880 PRO (semi-open?) headphones, or AKG, Sony?
Old 9th March 2015
Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO (closed) vs DT 880 PRO (semi-open?) headphones, or AKG, Sony?

bayerdyn dt 770 pro (closed back) has 3 versions. whats that difference between 32, 80 and 250ohm? (sorry i dont know the technicalities?) can someone explain in laymen terms?, i need headphone to track vocals without bleeding into the mic

bayerdyn dt 880 pro (semi open back) also has 3 versions. 250ohms, 600ohms, etc. are "semi open" headphones good for tracking? or they have some bleed? i dont know too much about them, not sure how good/bad they are for tracking?

i need headphones for tracking vocals... im new to recording. any other recommendations? from AKG or Beyer, Senn, Sony?? budget up to $150-350.

Last edited by 141550; 9th March 2015 at 09:40 AM..
Old 9th March 2015
You'd want to amp the 250 ohms version, that being said for most applications you'll want to us the 80ohm version. I have the 770s and 880s, my ears are used to both so they work for me. For vocals you'll want the closed back 770, 880s bleed significantly. If you currently have no headphone preference I'd check out the audio-technicas LINK
Old 9th March 2015 | Show parent
i think my interface can handle up to 600ohm so i should be ok i think. dont think i need separate amp, im guessing it can handle all 3?

newbie question, isnt more ohms mean better quality? or am i wrong? what is more ohms for?

oh you have the 880s? they bleed huh? oh well in that case i will pass. definitely well opt for the 770 then.

im curious your recommending Audio Technica brand, do you like them over bayerdynamics? or is just a matter of taste. never checked out ther headphones before. i did see AT m50x in videos, seems like a good headphone. they also came out with m70x this year, i wonder how it compares to 50x

Quote:
Originally Posted by weswook View Post
You'd want to amp the 250 ohms version, that being said for most applications you'll want to us the 80ohm version. I have the 770s and 880s, my ears are used to both so they work for me. For vocals you'll want the closed back 770, 880s bleed significantly. If you currently have no headphone preference I'd check out the audio-technicas LINK

Last edited by 141550; 9th March 2015 at 09:53 AM..
📝 Reply