The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Telefunken TD200 and other Tele Bakelites. Dynamic Microphones
Old 5th March 2015
Telefunken TD200 and other Tele Bakelites.

The quality and usage of so-called 'vintage' Telefunken dynamic mics from yester-year (such as the TD20/TD(xx) mics [generally the two digit models]) is a well discussed and covered topic on internet forums around the web.

Though highly un-documented (especially not in english) is the quality of the TD200, which sells for a remarkably higher price than the former, at around £200 compared to about £40!

So what can anyone let me know about this mic imparticular? and are there any decent and pleasing sounding mics of this sort; I've heard mixed reviews across the board, especially conflicted on the TD20!

Please let me know your exp. with the TD200 or in fact any of these 'vintage' mics
Old 1st June 2015
Old 2nd July 2015
Gear Nut
The TD20 is a lot smaller and has a worse frequency response than the TD200, which is huge and (supposedly) picks up until 18,000 Hz. I have the specs sheet somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

The TD200 is a rather bass-heavy mic which sounds a tiny little bit like a darker MD421 to my ears, the TD20 is a rather curious cheap little plastic body mic whose sound does not have anything in common with its larger lookalike.

They do share the confusing basic design, though: Their most sensitive point is not the large front grille, but the small piece of the grille on top, which feels a little "upside down", at least to me, coming from a background of vintage hand and table mics which look a lot like these two.

Maybe one of these days I'll record some things with the two of them for comparison, if you're interested.
Old 7th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uherism View Post
The TD20 is a lot smaller and has a worse frequency response than the TD200, which is huge and (supposedly) picks up until 18,000 Hz. I have the specs sheet somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

The TD200 is a rather bass-heavy mic which sounds a tiny little bit like a darker MD421 to my ears, the TD20 is a rather curious cheap little plastic body mic whose sound does not have anything in common with its larger lookalike.

They do share the confusing basic design, though: Their most sensitive point is not the large front grille, but the small piece of the grille on top, which feels a little "upside down", at least to me, coming from a background of vintage hand and table mics which look a lot like these two.

Maybe one of these days I'll record some things with the two of them for comparison, if you're interested.
I bought a TD20 recently and did not find it that great, but your description of the TD200 makes it sound very nice - hopefully I'll find one in a flea market...
Old 7th July 2015
Gear Nut
The TD200 is another one of those fixed-cable miracles - it was pretty expensive for an amateur microphone back when it was released, in 1966 I think, and since Telefunken dynamics are almost exclusively OEM builds, it's quite possible that it contains a Sennheiser capsule.

Edit: I wrote a little article about the TD 200.
Old 8th August 2015
Quote:

Thanks a lot for the info dude, in you're oppinion, are the td200's worth a shot? In England they are rare to come by, and with a little more money you can pick up an MD421 anyway!!!
Old 9th August 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMead View Post
Thanks a lot for the info dude, in you're oppinion, are the td200's worth a shot? In England they are rare to come by, and with a little more money you can pick up an MD421 anyway!!!
They are definitely worth a shot, but not at that price tag - I'd rather get an MD421 then. The TD 200 is a high quality mic with a different flavour and can really be an asset to your studio, but it's not nearly as sturdy as the MD421 and it has the additional inconvenience of the fixed cable, so you'll have to solder an XLR plug onto it (adapters are no use there, it's the cheap DIN plug without screw thread).
Old 31st July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
I bought a TD20 recently and did not find it that great, but your description of the TD200 makes it sound very nice - hopefully I'll find one in a flea market...
I found one today at a flea market for €5! NOS in the box. It does look like a cheap plastic version of a Sennheiser MD421 (including the stand adaptor).

Will now do some tests...

PS: It's been a good summer season for flea markets so far, today I also found a Sennheiser MD21 for €10 and last month a Melos tape delay for €30...
Old 15th August 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
I found one today at a flea market for €5! NOS in the box. It does look like a cheap plastic version of a Sennheiser MD421 (including the stand adaptor).

Will now do some tests...
Nice! Have your tests helped you glean any valuable information? If not, try on bass amp or guitar cabinet and tell me what you think! The TD200 has become sort of a go-to for those two applications for me.
Old 15th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice! Have your tests helped you glean any valuable information? If not, try on bass amp or guitar cabinet and tell me what you think! The TD200 has become sort of a go-to for those two applications for me.
Unfortunately it turned out to be completely dead! Not sure what the problem is...

Regards,

Santiago
Old 15th August 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Unfortunately it turned out to be completely dead! Not sure what the problem is...
Oh no! I suppose you have checked the connector, the wires inside, the rolloff switch? That switch might have stopped working, a friend of mine told me that his specimen didn't work at all until he bypassed the combined rolloff / on-off switch.
Old 15th August 2016
Lives for gear

I've got TD20 and really like it. Has full but deformed sound and you can very much play with proximity to get different sounds.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search