The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Moby's Animal Rights album
Old 15th December 2006
Gear Addict

Moby's Animal Rights album

Hadn't listening to this album in a long time. It's really pretty rocking and aggressive and entirely a departure from his more popular works. You might be surprised. Though, changing the lyric in "That's When I Reach For My Revolver" wasn't really necessary?

Anyone else care for this one?
Old 15th December 2006
Changing the lyric?!?!
Old 15th December 2006
Gear Addict

From Wikipedia:

The album's first single, "That's When I Reach For My Revolver," was subject to some controversy. The original version by Mission of Burma read in part, "Tonight the sky is empty/But that is nothing new/Its dead eyes look upon us/And they tell me we're nothing but slaves." Moby changed the lyrics, whether intentionally or not; his most noticeable change was in the third line above, replacing it with "Instead they look upon us." The result was that he replaced a statement of agnosticism with a baffling non sequitur, though the change went generally unnoticed.

Controversy erupted when both the BBC and MTV asked Moby to change the lyrics to the song's title line "That's When I Reach For My Revolver" - Moby rerecorded the song as "That's When I Realize It's Over" so it would air. Fans of the original were outraged; Moby defended himself, saying he didn't consider the change in lyrics to be very important. Oddly, one of the album's "last minute maxims" is "freedom of speech is absolute and inviolate."
Old 15th December 2006
Lives for gear
"animal rights album"?

nice gimmick.
Old 15th December 2006
Gear Addict

Good album though. And I'm really not much of a Moby listener. I don't think the lyrics really have much to do about animal rights per se, but he has some essays in the liner notes that are more political from what I recall. I think most people wouldn't recognize it as Moby.
Old 15th December 2006
Gear Head

generally regarded as one of the biggest flops in the modern era?
Old 15th December 2006
Gear Addict

Flop or not, I think it's actually a pretty good and sonically interesting album. There are some thin-sounding (maybe DI'ed ) guitars that normally I wouldn't like, but they work here.
Old 16th December 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebjerome View Post
Flop or not, I think it's actually a pretty good and sonically interesting album. There are some thin-sounding (maybe DI'ed ) guitars that normally I wouldn't like, but they work here.
Haven't heard it so I'll take your word for it.

At least you didn't say "socially interesting album". That would've been terribly gauche.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search