The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mix Buss Comp Dynamics Processors (HW)
View Poll Results: Mix Buss Comp on a semi budget
Elysia Xpressor 500
25 Votes - 47.17%
Lindell 77X 500
3 Votes - 5.66%
Chameleon Labs 7720
7 Votes - 13.21%
Drawmer 1973
13 Votes - 24.53%
Daking FET 3
5 Votes - 9.43%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2nd March 2015
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
db0007's Avatar
 

Mix Buss Comp

Was debating on picking up the Daking but then found out the FET 2 has stepped knobs not the 3. Then after asking around about other comps with stepped knobs, these are the 4 others that keep coming up.

Elysia 500 looks like a solid piece, name alone, but I have never heard it...

Last edited by db0007; 2nd March 2015 at 01:44 AM..
Old 3rd March 2015
  #2
Gear Maniac
 
db0007's Avatar
 

Bump, c'mon guys. I'm surprised haven't had at least 20 votes over the weekend.
Old 3rd March 2015
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
db0007's Avatar
 

Thanks all. Looks like I'll be giving a Elysia a good home.
Old 23rd March 2015
  #4
Gear Maniac
 
db0007's Avatar
 

Bump! Went to pull the trigger but my dealer doesn't have the 500 Xpressor in but he does have the rack version.

Have any of you guys compared the 500 to the rack? Power supply make a difference? I'm running a BAE 500 chasis with external PS, seems beefy enough for the job.
Old 24th March 2015
  #5
Gear Maniac
 
db0007's Avatar
 

Bump.

Dbx 162SL... It's not in the poll. Any thoughts for mix buss compared to the Elysia?
Old 24th March 2015
  #6
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
I don't know the Drawmer 1973, but I use a 1969 on every mix I do.
Old 24th March 2015
  #7
Lives for gear
 
smoovemode's Avatar
 

I would've thought this post would've been popular. I'd be curious too.
Old 24th March 2015
  #8
I love my Elysia Xpressor (rack version) on my mix buss.

Keith.
Old 24th March 2015
  #9
Lives for gear
 
smoovemode's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by satissounds View Post
I love my Elysia Xpressor (rack version) on my mix buss.

Keith.
That has been suggested to me over and over again. It looks like that may be the way I go.
Old 25th March 2015
  #10
Gear Maniac
 
Darenzo's Avatar
 

GSSL no contest ...
Old 25th March 2015
  #11
Gear Maniac
 
escape set's Avatar
tk-audio bc1-s
Old 25th March 2015
  #12
Zenpro has these really sweet elysia 500 xpressors right now with wood grain fronts. Not only do they sound great, but now they actually look good too. If I didn't already have a solid buss comp I would be on one of those really quick!
Old 25th March 2015
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovemode View Post
That has been suggested to me over and over again. It looks like that may be the way I go.
Since I've been using it, my mixes have sounded so much better. I couldn't quite believe it at first.

I will say though that the Xpressor is a very clean sounding comp. But you can easily add character to your mixes by using other gear and/or plugins in the chain.

It's not moving from my mix buss.

Keith.
Old 25th March 2015
  #14
Lives for gear
 
smoovemode's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by satissounds View Post
Since I've been using it, my mixes have sounded so much better. I couldn't quite believe it at first.

I will say though that the Xpressor is a very clean sounding comp. But you can easily add character to your mixes by using other gear and/or plugins in the chain.

It's not moving from my mix buss.

Keith.
Thanks Keith :-)

I have a pair of Tonelux TX5c 500s. I'm still trying to decide if I want to use both of them together or just go with the Tonelux.
Old 25th March 2015
  #15
+1 on the GSSL or any 4000 SSL clone (like the TK Audio, etc.)

How about a 33609 clone? best. mixbuss. compressor. ever.
Old 30th March 2015
  #16
Gear Maniac
 
db0007's Avatar
 

Thanks all! I pulled the trigger and ordered the "Coffee" Xpressor. Can't wait for delivery and drop it in the rack!
Old 30th March 2015
  #17
Lives for gear
 
smoovemode's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by db0007 View Post
Thanks all! I pulled the trigger and ordered the "Coffee" Xpressor. Can't wait for delivery and drop it in the rack!
Solid choice

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 30th March 2015 at 09:07 AM..
Old 30th March 2015
  #18
Lives for gear
 
lordward's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape set View Post
tk-audio bc1-s
yup!
Old 30th March 2015
  #19
Lives for gear
 
smoovemode's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordward View Post
yup!
Does TK sound bettert than the Xpressor? I always wondered.
Old 30th March 2015
  #20
Lives for gear
 
lordward's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovemode View Post
Does TK sound bettert than the Xpressor? I always wondered.
As usual one can only say it sounds different. TK is very flexible and round, but it's more expensive I believe. Buy both to be safe
Old 30th March 2015
  #21
Lives for gear
 
smoovemode's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordward View Post
As usual one can only say it sounds different. TK is very flexible and round, but it's more expensive I believe. Buy both to be safe
Would you say the TK is a GSSL CLone? If it is how does it compare with those kits everyone has been releasing?
Old 31st March 2015
  #22
Lives for gear
 
lordward's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovemode View Post
Would you say the TK is a GSSL CLone? If it is how does it compare with those kits everyone has been releasing?
It's similar in a way. Having said that a lot of clones are still different. I also find that SSL comps sound different out of the console. It's quite the rabbit hole really.
Old 31st March 2015
  #23
Lives for gear
 
smoovemode's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordward View Post
It's similar in a way. Having said that a lot of clones are still different. I also find that SSL comps sound different out of the console. It's quite the rabbit hole really.
You know, that's a good point. I assume when you get to the hand made gear, each unit may not sound the same, which is kinda cool in a way.
Old 31st March 2015
  #24
Klark Teknik DN504
Old 31st March 2015
  #25
Gear Maniac
 
db0007's Avatar
 

My mastering guy still swears by the Foote p3s I think.vmaybhave model wrong....
Old 31st March 2015
  #26
Lives for gear
 
hasbeen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by db0007 View Post
My mastering guy still swears by the Foote p3s I think.vmaybhave model wrong....
Since you brought it up...

I am surprised it was not mentioned and was going to do so, but the OP didn't have it on the list.

It is really an amazing tool for the 2 bus.
Old 31st March 2015
  #27
Lives for gear
 
smoovemode's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
Since you brought it up...

I am surprised it was not mentioned and was going to do so, but the OP didn't have it on the list.

It is really an amazing tool for the 2 bus.
How would you compare the Foote vs Xpressor?
Old 31st March 2015
  #28
Lives for gear
 
hasbeen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovemode View Post
How would you compare the Foote vs Xpressor?
I can't really do that without enough experience to make an informed decision.

There are a few threads about the Foote P3S here on gs and a great TapeOp review you can google. It is really quite capable of a few duties on the bus.
Old 25th April 2015
  #29
using my 1973 all the time grate unit
Old 25th April 2015
  #30
Gear Nut
 

Love my SSL fx g384 on most things
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump