The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
So what are the best studio chairs now? ergonomic and good for back ?
Old 25th February 2015

I am looking for a great chair that can help me with keeping may back in better shape..
Old 25th February 2015
Gear Addict

Hard to go wrong with an Aeron chair. I've been using mine for 15+ years and except for dust it's as "like new" as day one. Built like a frikin' tank and if you remind yourself to sit in it properly it's gonna help you. That's the thing with most chairs, even the high zoot ones...you CAN slouch in 'em. I see 'em still going for what I paid back then...ca $500. Not cheap but the quality cannot be beat. Kinda like the Neumann of chairs.
Old 25th February 2015
Not quite Aeron but

I've got two standard, padded office chairs in my office. Both of which I found outside of office buildings and immediately took off the backs.

As both the performer and recording engineer, I battle with cabling and pointy guitar necks while trying to hit play and record. No back to the chairs helps quite a bit. Also, I find it improves my core and is an all day simulation of sitting while gigging.
Old 25th February 2015
Lives for gear

I've had pretty extensive backproblems and now I'm pretty much back to normal after getting professional help for a few years. Apart from correcting problems an equally big part is preventing new ones from coming.

Sitting is a very bad position for the body in the long run and if you need to sit down for work the best position is more like standing up and using a saddle-chair. It's a bitch in a studio since you need to get everything higher up from the floor, desk, monitors, everything.. I did it in my mixroom as I really had no choice but to prioritize my back.

It is amazingly comfortable once you find the right position and get used to supporting yourself with your core muscles.

It does not matter all that much which chair you use. As long as you have a 90 degree angle between your legs and your back you are simply not in a good position.

See www.salli.fi for more on saddle-chairs. Believe me, it's the only thing that really works.
Old 25th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wilson View Post
Hard to go wrong with an Aeron chair.
Yup. I've been using mine since they came out -- 20 years? If you have to sit, this is the chair. Be sure to get the correct size for you (there are (or were) three sizes). And do get all the adjustments. Well worth it.
Old 25th February 2015
Office Chairs | Ergonomic Leather Office Chairs from Stressless
Best chairs I've ever had and the most expensive chair I've ever had. If you have serious back issues like myself though...it's worth it.
Old 25th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction View Post
I've had pretty extensive backproblems and now I'm pretty much back to normal after getting professional help for a few years. Apart from correcting problems an equally big part is preventing new ones from coming.

Sitting is a very bad position for the body in the long run and if you need to sit down for work the best position is more like standing up and using a saddle-chair. It's a bitch in a studio since you need to get everything higher up from the floor, desk, monitors, everything.. I did it in my mixroom as I really had no choice but to prioritize my back.

It is amazingly comfortable once you find the right position and get used to supporting yourself with your core muscles.

It does not matter all that much which chair you use. As long as you have a 90 degree angle between your legs and your back you are simply not in a good position.

See www.salli.fi for more on saddle-chairs. Believe me, it's the only thing that really works.
interesting... how easy u can get used to that type of chairs?
Old 26th February 2015
Lives for gear

Good thread. I've had chronic back pain for 26+ years. I started working on computers..... just over 26 years ago. Nothing co-incidental there. Sitting for prolonged periods is not just a risk factor for musculoskeletal problems - research research suggests it might predispose to cardiovascular problems and certain cancers.

Just in case there might be peeps unfamiliar with the recent research, here's a snippet of a story transcript from the Australian ABC's premiere science show, Catalyst:

Narration
Researchers at the Australian National University and Sydney University have put a figure on just how deadly sitting can be.

Professor Emily Banks
So we followed two hundred thousand people aged forty five and over and over a three year period around five thousand of those people in the study died.

Narration
About seven percent of the deaths could be attributed to prolonged sitting.

Professor Emily Banks
What we found was that those who sat for prolonged periods of time, were more likely to die in the three years following the survey, than those who sat for shorter periods.

Anja Taylor
What about somebody who sits for more than eleven hours a day like me?

Professor Emily Banks
So we know that of the people who sat for eleven or more hours a day, they had a forty percent increasing risk of death compared to the people who sat for fewer than four hours.

Narration
People who sat for more than eight hours a day, were at a fifteen percent greater risk of early death.

Professor Emily Banks
And this was actually after we had accounted for things like age, smoking and as many other factors as we could think of.

Anja Taylor
They may sound like frightening statistics but the really depressing thing is even if I do the recommended daily amount of exercise, it still doesn't cancel out the negative effects of sitting.

Transcript snippet out. Here's the full story on the ABC science site.

Anja refers to the problem of impaired fat metabolism that occurs in prolonged sitting.

Thanks for the question OP, and thanks for the suggestions everyone. Here in Australia, prices are often steep - the Aeron goes for $1295 AUD. Might check out the saddle chairs as an alternative.

Last edited by Tubthumper; 26th February 2015 at 02:07 AM.. Reason: Info added
Old 26th February 2015
Lives for gear

I have a Knoll "Generation" chair in my mix room which I prefer to the Herman Miller chairs which are at most of the studios I work at.

If your concerned about posture/back/long term position stress check out the buoy chair.
Old 26th February 2015
Gear Maniac
I love this chair! I blew three discs in 1987, and I can sit in this thing for hours and hours!

Leap | Task/Work Chairs | Seating | Category | Products | Steelcase - Office Furniture
Old 26th February 2015
I have scoliosis, and some disks that are with solidification ..... so my back is very weak...I had very bad moments...but I wonder if i use a way better chair i would be better.... so I wonder which chair is the best for me..

The Salli look very interesting...are very pricey too ...over 1200 dollars
Old 26th February 2015
Lives for gear

I went shopping for a good chair about a year ago. All prices are in canadian dollars. I was shopping in Montreal. I am about 5'8" and 160 pounds.

I did a lot of research at first on the internet.

Then, I went out to different retailers/outlets/manufacturers and tried different chairs.

I tried Steelcase chairs (I tried about 10 different chairs, they were all good). It's more of a standard chair with a cushion but it is extremely adjustable and very very confortable. It was 600$ for the chair I liked (I think it was the leap).

Then I tried the Knoll generation chair. The arm rest were too low for me even at max height. That killed it for me but besides that, it is not as adjustable as the steecase chairs but it just adapts perfectly to your body. Very nice chair, a little more expensive (800$)

Then I tried the Hermann Miller chairs. The Aeon I had already tried but I was not in love with the chair. Very adjustable but not as natural or enjoyable as other chairs. It's an old design and it does not respond to body movement as smoothly as new chairs (in my opinion). I then tried the Embody chair. It was very nice but the headrest is just too high for audio use. It will affect your hearing for sure. I then tried the Mirra 2 chair. This is the one I liked the most. Not as adjustable as the Steelcase chairs or the Aeron but it was for me the most natural chair I ever tried. Felt like home. I also share the chair with someone else and they also love it. It's also great because you can quickly put the armrests very low making it possible to play guitar or bass easily. It was about 950$.

I do not regret buying an expensive chair, and I am very confortable using it.

My advice is go and try different chairs. Try adjusting every chair and see which one feels better.
Old 26th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL View Post
interesting... how easy u can get used to that type of chairs?
It takes a lot of getting used to. You support yourself with your core muscles and the weight is on your feet, not your discs in your back. It is more like standing than sitting.

And it probably takes you refurbing your entire studio. You are a lot higher up than in a traditional chair and your monitors will be way too low... So it is a hassle, no doubt about it.

But at least for me it is worth it. Def try before buying if you can. It is very different.
Old 26th February 2015
Lives for gear

I have the h.m. embody chair. The saddle and other chairs like that are good for my back, but they for some reason start hurting my knee. Most important thing for me and my back is walking 3 miles a day or riding a bike for half an hour.

[edit ... i'm 5'9" and the highest part of the embody chair does not go above my shoulders, doesn't interfere for me with sound at all, this is the 2015 version, not sure if a older version had a higher headrest]

Last edited by PatrickFaith; 4th March 2015 at 06:28 AM..
Old 26th February 2015
Lives for gear
I have an aeron, a leap, a freedom and a hag capisco. My vote goes to capsico hands down. But it's really a different concept than a chair and ideally you aren't just sitting on it all day. I like it so much better than any of the other chairs that I built this-

Sit/stand desk build with motorized frame

But it does kinda need a loungy one to complement it. The freedom is nice and loungy. The capisco is still nice without the adjustable height desk just not for 5 hours straight... You need to change up something.
Old 26th February 2015
Here for the gear

Hi, I would like to list one more website where you can find high quality ergonomic chairs. I recently bought one from backrx.in I must admit these ergonomic chair brings huge difference to your back posture and eradicating back problem.
Old 26th February 2015
Lives for gear

here's my favoured chair - the 'variable balans' - Variable_Balans_Black_STE999-Natural_Ash / Variations Variable Balans / Variable™ balans® / Movement Chairs / Home - Varier Furniture - Movement chairs

makes you keep moving, keep using the core muscles... (also totally possible to slouch on though heheh!)
Old 26th February 2015
Lives for gear

I have bought my last two Aerons from http://www.sit4life.com/landing-pages/Task-chairs/12
(formerly sit4less)

Pro tip, call them and ask about demo or open box deals. They typically have stuff that is not shown on the web.

I have also alternated time sitting on a large yoga ball which I found was not great for 8 hour days, but was great for breaks from the studio chair... and, they only cost $20 or so.
Old 28th February 2015
Do you think the AEON Chair are more like an average "good" fair and not so much a real ergo chair that is good for your back??
Old 28th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I have an aeron, a leap, a freedom and a hag capisco. My vote goes to capsico hands down. But it's really a different concept than a chair and ideally you aren't just sitting on it all day. I like it so much better than any of the other chairs that I built this-

Sit/stand desk build with motorized frame

But it does kinda need a loungy one to complement it. The freedom is nice and loungy. The capisco is still nice without the adjustable height desk just not for 5 hours straight... You need to change up something.
@ RyanC is this your chair? looks great and seems very solid..your you have the footrest option?? Capisco chair
Old 28th February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL View Post
@ RyanC is this your chair? looks great and seems very solid..your you have the footrest option?? Capisco chair
Yeah that's the capisco. I don't have a foot ring but all of them have little no slip plates over the wheels where you can rest your feet, which is especially useful for the perch position...these chars go WAY higher than normal chairs.

I can give you my little rundown on the chairs I have from my perspective.

Aeron mesh is great, especially if you room runs hot in the summer, no swamp ass. If you go that route buy a C if you are over 6' or even 5'10" tall at any weight IMO. The downside to aerons is the bar that goes across the front will tend to cut off circulation to the legs after a while. This means you will want to set the seat pan on the low side and this will lead to the ultimate shortcoming of the aeron. With all the weight on your butt (not split to upper thighs) it rolls your hip bones in like a hammock. After long consecutive days on that one I could hear my hip joints pop when standing up and you can actually feel that your hips are still rolled in when lying in bed at night! 4-5 hrs a day 20 to maybe 30 a week max for me...consecutively over that for 6 mo's or so or more and I start to feel it.

The steelcase leap is better here in that the seat pan can split your weight between thighs and butt. The 3d arms are GREAT on this one. IMO the back tension on the leap doesn't go high enough, so you end up lounged back or having to lock the back in place a lot. To me the biggest issue with the leap is the back is too wide at the lumbar point. This means you can't move your elbows back far enough and results in rolled in shoulders, classic forward slouched bad posture. So you have to constantly remind yourself to sit up straight, fine but a $30 yoga ball from target is better in that regard (terrible for mouse work though). In any case of the *chairs* the leap still get's my vote. I could do long stretches better than the aeron and it breathes fairly well considering it's not mesh. The arms are the best and good for the wrists as far as RSI goes.

The humanscale is the lazyboy of the lot. This is a pretty good client chair IMO, not too many adjustments and they can lounge out. For me this is not a good primary chair but it works to rotate in when you are in the mood to kick back more. It doesn't have enough resistance to the back and no locks so you end up leaned back a lot. I have logged many many hours in the capisco, leap and aeron and the freedom is newer to me but I have a pretty good idea at this point what I like. I got mine on craigslist for cheap so it was good grab...

Then there is the capisco. This one is interesting because it's not a chair really and it's not really comfortable. It's very simple but *finally* a chair where the back tension can be made VERY high. One of my clients calls it my 'back straightener'. The way the back curves and then you put your elbows way back to have them on the armrests which makes slouching impossible when they are back (assuming back height is not too low). People who slouch a lot will crack their backs just sitting on it. This is not a chair where you find your sweet spot with the settings and leave it, you will be constantly changing it. Which is really it's greatest strength and why I think it is the best. Once something starts to hurt you move and there are a lot of places to move that aren't just the wrong size. Sit backwards, sideways, perch high or medium. Move the seat pan in or out to shift weight between butt, thighs and even feet etc, etc, etc. It is also excellent for playing piano, guitar and even drums. The downsides are you do still want another chair to switch in now and again, especially when it is new. Simply using the capsico is more work for your body, which is a good thing, but it takes a bit of time to work up to. Also if you embrace the constant change of it all the time, you will ultimately want an adjustable height desk...

Horses for courses, I'm 6'2" 220lbs and work a lot of hours every week.
Old 28th February 2015
@ RyanC thanks for the help and the review!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search