The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Advanced audio cm12 humming noise
Old 22nd February 2015
Here for the gear

Advanced audio cm12 humming noise

Hi, I bought an advanced audio cm12 tube condenser mic after plenty of research and comments on this site.
However, I'm trying to record vocals with my producer and the signal is never clean. With zero input there is a humming noise and you can even see a wave form on the screen. It's also very crispy. I'm wondering how others are able to record a clean smooth sound with this microphone? Appreciate any help ASAP as I flew out to austin from California to use this microphone this week. Thanks.
Old 22nd February 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlimosine View Post
Hi, I bought an advanced audio cm12 tube condenser mic after plenty of research and comments on this site.
However, I'm trying to record vocals with my producer and the signal is never clean. With zero input there is a humming noise and you can even see a wave form on the screen. It's also very crispy. I'm wondering how others are able to record a clean smooth sound with this microphone? Appreciate any help ASAP as I flew out to austin from California to use this microphone this week. Thanks.
Sounds like the mic has issues. Get a hold of Dave at Advanced Audio, he will have a solution for you
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

If you bought it new, email Dave. He'll probably take care of it pretty quickly. Mine is dead quiet.
Old 22nd February 2015
Here for the gear

Yes I bought it new. My producer has swapped the mic setup with other mics and the AA CM12 is the one with a humming noise/wave form and no flat line when there is no input. Also, it's pretty crispy sounding and is very sensitive especially on "s" es. Do you experience the same thing with crispyness and too HOT sound? Is it a particularly sensitive mic that you have to keep the input down low? I've emailed them at advanced audio. I don't have Dave's direct email, but hopefully someone will respond.
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

Hmmm. No mine doesn't sound like that at all. It's quiet. Not anymore sibilant than other mics. Sounds like maybe the tube got damaged during shipment. Well at least when other tubes of mine have started going out I've heard them affect the tone and make noises. Email AA and I'm sure Dave will get back to you within a day or two. He's a great guy. And sorry you're having this problem. That's a really good mic!
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

In the last two years I had at least three microphones that were shipped with defective tubes and one of them was also AA cm12. I changed the tube and all is good. The mic is very crisp and the original C12 is also fairly bright so this the intended sound.
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

On a related note (mic crispness): I talked to Dave about this once. And yeah, the original was pretty crisp. Anyway, he explained that there is an inherent "bump" in the high frequencies on LDC mics in cardioid mode. He could explain it a lot better than me. What I've found with this particular mic is that if that bump is a bit too much, I turn the dial one click towards omni and it seems to tone it down.
Old 22nd February 2015
Here for the gear

Ok we will try that out. Thanks so much!
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear
If this is a brand new item, then the best solution is to call the company, try their suggestions and if doesn't work, return the item for a refund or have him send you another one. Trying it in another location other than the one you are having the problem is a good idea. See if it is a problem is somehow related to the grounding of your location. Have you tried another condensor type of mic in your location? Any problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlimosine View Post
Old 11th March 2015
Gear Maniac

CM12se

Hello, thanks for using the CM12. The AK12 capsule in the CM12 goes down flat to 20hz as does the tube circuitry. So, there is a chance that what you are hearing is air conditioning noise or a hum in the room that other microphone don't respond to as easily as the CM12. Like the original C12 the response rise 4-5db at 12khz and this can increase the sibilance.

We would gladly exchange the microphone under warrantee if there is an issue with the microphone.

Also, if you send me a wave file at [email protected]. Then I can probably determine where the noise is coming from.

We would also exchange the micophone give you it full value toward our CM251 which has 3db less rise at 12khz like the original ELA M251 which were always had a little less rise at 12khz because of the 1000pf capacitor across the output transformer to flatten the rise.

Cheers, Dave Thomas
advancedaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
If this is a brand new item, then the best solution is to call the company, try their suggestions and if doesn't work, return the item for a refund or have him send you another one. Trying it in another location other than the one you are having the problem is a good idea. See if it is a problem is somehow related to the grounding of your location. Have you tried another condensor type of mic in your location? Any problems?
Old 20th March 2015
Gear Maniac

Hello, did you resolve your issue with the CM12 yet? When did you buy the CM12? We offer a 2 year warranty on parts a labour.

Here is a link to a recording of our new CM251 which is the CM12 with a slightly different head grill and the 251 capacitor to roll out the rise at 12khz about 3db.

The CM12 should sound like this but will be 3db crisper up at 12khz.

https://soundcloud.com/momichael/crossroad-blues

Cheers, Dave Thomas
[email protected]
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search