The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Telefunken CU-29 Copperhead vs. Mojave MA-200/MA-300 Condenser Microphones
Old 5th February 2015
Gear interested

Telefunken CU-29 Copperhead vs. Mojave MA-200/MA-300

Problem.

What mid price mic should I get?
Need a workhorse.
Neumann U47 is yoo expencive.

Thinking of Telefunken CU-29 Copperhead or Mojave MA-200, Mojave MA-300.

Pleas give me advise
Old 5th February 2015
Lives for gear

Check out the mic shootout vintage king just put on their website. Both those mics are on there along with other great ones. I liked the sound of the copperhead and own the mojave. Both nice choices.
Old 5th February 2015
Lives for gear

You might also look for a deal on a peluso 2247 if you are after the 47 type sound. Maybe $1400 used or B stock?
Old 10th February 2015
Gear Head

Wow, the copperhead really holds it's own in that vk shootout with lots of great and more expensive mics. a bit rich on the lows and plosives but I put it in top five for both voices, along with the manley, the c12, flea 47 and my #1 pick the c800. Have had my eye on the copperhead as a potential next mic purchase and this really sealed it. Nice goin' Telefunken!
Old 10th February 2015
Lives for gear
Yeah. It was between the kiwi and the copperhead and I got the kiwi before I heard that shoot out. But I don't think I'll be too disappointed but the next one will be the copperhead. Any one have experience between these two. Not to fly off topic. But I guess they are in the same range
Old 10th February 2015
Lives for gear

Here's a shootout I did using the Manley MicMAID. This 5 minute version of the shootout uses the Manley TNT Tube Preamp, and the mics are the Manley Gold Reference, Brauner VM1, AKG C414XLS, and the Tele CU29 Copperhead.
http://youtu.be/QaSpUm_3cDM

Last edited by Woodwindy; 10th February 2015 at 05:06 PM..
Old 18th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by ominousshaman View Post
Wow, the copperhead really holds it's own in that vk shootout with lots of great and more expensive mics. a bit rich on the lows and plosives but I put it in top five for both voices, along with the manley, the c12, flea 47 and my #1 pick the c800. Have had my eye on the copperhead as a potential next mic purchase and this really sealed it. Nice goin' Telefunken!
wow, with exception of the flea49 I had all of those in my top 5 aswell!

(I also liked the Gefell CMV 563 and TM 1)

When considering price, the CU-29 seems like a steal, would be great to hear a similar comparisson on a female voice.
Old 19th February 2015
Gear Addict
Figured I'd chime in. I've owned my Copperhead now for about a year and a half. I truly feel like its overshadowed by the "big brothers" in the family but this mic is excellent at a very reasonable price point! I love the mid-forwardness of it and it also just naturally softens sibilance. For me, it really shines on aggressive vocals (rap/rock vocals). I could go on but I think it'd be overkill. You get the point.
Old 19th February 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDawg View Post
Figured I'd chime in. I've owned my Copperhead now for about a year and a half. I truly feel like its overshadowed by the "big brothers" in the family but this mic is excellent at a very reasonable price point! I love the mid-forwardness of it and it also just naturally softens sibilance. For me, it really shines on aggressive vocals (rap/rock vocals). I could go on but I think it'd be overkill. You get the point.
word, I got the CU-29 and it is definately a wonderful mic. I didnt really know how great it was until I fixed up some accoustical problems I had. Mojave is a pretty great company. I dont own any of there mics but from what I hear their mics do very well too.
Old 19th February 2015
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuyLocs602 View Post
I dont own any of there mics but from what I hear their mics do very well too.
yeah the Mojave mic's are excellent too and I use both their FET and Tube mic's at another studio I'll occasionally track out of. I tend to prefer the FET mic for vocals as its not as bright on the top end as the Tube one's are. The tube's I like more on acoustic instruments.

Between the Copperhead and the Mojave mic's its really just a matter of personal taste. Either way you really can't lose.
Old 7th February 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodwindy View Post
Here's a shootout I did using the Manley MicMAID. This 5 minute version of the shootout uses the Manley TNT Tube Preamp, and the mics are the Manley Gold Reference, Brauner VM1, AKG C414XLS, and the Tele CU29 Copperhead.
YouTube
Great! thanks for the video!
Old 3rd April 2018
Gear Maniac

I just got hold of a Copperhead and own the Mojave MA 200. Of course, had to share shootout files!
Same performances, both mics going into Avedis MA5 pres at 35db and then through a Studio Electronics C2S compressor with bypass engaged..no processing.

Copperhead on acoustic guitar
https://app.box.com/s/e03pyirowgtp4daqnkwtwgor55tjhs4v

Mojave on acoustic guitar
https://app.box.com/s/7c2clbamqum8m3dte3raani7a7dqhxqd

Copperhead on vocal
https://app.box.com/s/rq74st1rkzifb1tlwzorqrgyfy1osr7c

Mojave on vocal
https://app.box.com/s/fqqd6rb4zj7ednaujl13mi1vfn0pqp42

Copperhead on home speaker
https://app.box.com/s/kqmzzlfa3mtqx2y3rs403wz7a11m3loz

Mojave on home speaker
https://app.box.com/s/4j72vq8lguoyogvzdfpk5toyao1keuek
Attached Thumbnails
Telefunken CU-29 Copperhead vs. Mojave MA-200/MA-300-0e3e76a4-e77f-40f7-af6d-6a64395d245d.jpg   Telefunken CU-29 Copperhead vs. Mojave MA-200/MA-300-dff3190c-45ae-425c-a2b6-995e3c1b994c.jpg  
Old 5th May 2018
Lives for gear

The Copperhead has more forward mids. The overall sound is very dense (kind of 3D) and exciting.
The Mojave is more relaxed in the mids. It's also larger sounding and the high frequency extension and fidelity is pretty great.
The Copperhead would definitely cut through a dense mix. The Mojave is bigger and the highs have slightly more shimmer... Or perhaps it's just that the Copperhead's more aggressive mids mask the highs a little.
Either would work for me. It's really a song dependant thing.

Last edited by Shannon Adkins; 15th May 2018 at 12:54 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search