The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha DX7 or DX7S???
Old 28th January 2015
Gear Nut

Yamaha DX7 or DX7S???

Hey Sluzza’s,

I’m looking at two keyboards right now, one of which I will purchase.

They are both the same price, and they are in identical condition.

One is a DX7, the other a DX7S.

I won’t be playing live, it’s purely for production.

As far as I can see, the two major differences are:

DX7 -> 12 Bit DAC, 32 presets Memory
DX7S -> 16 Bit DAC, 64 presets Memory

Is there anything else I need to be aware of, when comparing the two?

Do they sound the same/similar?
Old 28th January 2015
Gear Addict
Wow a dx7 for todays production...everyone wanted s dx7 in 1987 but now???? Sounds would be severely dated....but here goes....as I recall after the dx7 came a dx711fd which had better sonics but same sound architecture....dx711fd could layer as it was two units in one keyboard as I recall.....dx7d was just one dx7 but with the better sonics...id get the dx7s but there is software dx7 avail and lots more modern used keys with more functionality out there....
Old 28th January 2015
Gear Addict
Sorry dx7d is typo I meant dx7s
Old 28th January 2015
Gear Guru

The DX7 MK1 is a spectacular keyboard. I only wish it had more patch memories. But I guess I can always buy a cartridge down the line for that. I think it's great for studio or stage.

I think the later ones have a cleaner tone, which is not really what I want. But I do have a TX81z to sort of cover that territory also. FM for life!! I only dream of FS1R.

You will want a control surface, or a computer editor, they are not too much fun to edit from the front panel.
Old 28th January 2015
Lives for gear
For me - having owned ALL types of DX7 I'd go for the S without question. The unison mode, more LFO control, backlit LCD, better/easier menu/button layout - better buttons (non membrane) better finish (MK1s tend to get paint faults and button wear through), I prefer the looks by far (stark white on black is very nice, even today - the MK1 looks a bit tired) and above all - the sound. The difference between the 2 is there but the grit and **** of the MK1 is not something I particularly desire anyway, especially when you lose the beautiful unison mode of the MK2/S.

I've owned 1 MK1 - sold it quite fast. I've had 4? DX7s (still got one) and a DX7II-D (same as FD without floppy - nobody cares). TX81z (not the same league), TX802 (great if you are into racks but not as fun as a MK2), DX-100 (fun but mini keys and limited).

The best is the II-D/FD as it has larger screen (than the S) and more capability (than the S) in unison/perf mode (polyphony basically) but other than that they are essentially the same. II-D also has stereo outputs and some other little features here n there.

You are more likely to get a MK2 in good condition for a good price, but if you desire the classic/legendary mk1 then go for it but frankly the so called 'keybed quality' felt 99% the same between them both, only the mk1 felt heavier all over so it had a more solid grounding for the keybed perhaps, along with maybe more felt above the keybed (under the flip top cover) which dampens them a bit more (so they are not as clattery as the MK2s/SYs)

DX7s are still useful and nice to have for FM sound with a bit of edge/bite - dunno what that guy in the 2nd post is on about, it's not all e-pianos and brass y'know? program it!!

And if you are not desperately after a DX7 for the logo (which is nice and classic) then look at SY/TG77 - they CAN be made to sound 99% the same as the later DX7s but do far far more besides.

Last edited by Pro5; 28th January 2015 at 04:33 PM..
Old 28th January 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraudio View Post
Wow a dx7 for todays production...everyone wanted s dx7 in 1987 but now???? Sounds would be severely dated....but here goes....as I recall after the dx7 came a dx711fd which had better sonics but same sound architecture....dx711fd could layer as it was two units in one keyboard as I recall.....dx7d was just one dx7 but with the better sonics...id get the dx7s but there is software dx7 avail and lots more modern used keys with more functionality out there....

Actually *NOBODY* wanted the DX7 by 87! They wanted the Roland D-50.. DX7 started dying out in the market around 86. Yamaha was caught out by the D-50 after having the digital market to themselves since 83 (83-85 was DX7's golden years), and played catch up via the SY77 that came a bit too late (great synth though). D-50 went on to sell even more than the DX7 did! (then the ****ty (not at the time - only now in the context of 'real' synthesis) M1 came along and outsold both... ah well)

D-50 and DX7 are still both great and Valid synths, maybe even more so these days as users tend to be more astute to programming, buying them cheap and getting the best out of them - back then FAMOUS and rich people bought them and stuck mostly to the presets (that gave them a bad/cheesy name)

As for the M1? It's beyond hope - it will make you sound like you are in 1988-92 and there's not much of an engine on board to do anything about it. #BogStandardRomplerWith****ForFilters
Old 28th January 2015
Lives for gear

I just bought a DX 7 MK1 a few days ago for $200 with three cartriges and I just love it.The sounds are not dated if you program something into it.Built like a tank.
I ordered this backlit LCD for it.Easy to install.

Yamaha DX7 or DX7S???New Yamaha DX7 Backlit LCD Kit LCD with Green Backlight for DX7 Synthesizer | eBay
Old 28th January 2015
the DX7 and FM synthesis in general is highly undervalued for today's production. While I have an FM synth app that just kills, having a dedicated DX7 would be nice. Besides a great, historically significant synth, the keybed would make for an excellent controller.
Old 28th January 2015
Lives for gear
good controller yes, other than the fact it doesn't transmit the full velocity range (MK1 for sure and maybe the MK2) only does 0-100 - Can't remember about the mk2 as I never used it as a controller but the SY77 had fixed this quirk by the time it came out.
Old 28th January 2015
even without the real chips and the dirty noise why not go with a decent controller with aftertouch and FM8 It will load all the patches and sounds pretty close. And you can unlimited number on them on your timeline. Realtime exports too. At this point other then nostalgia why bother.
Old 28th January 2015
Gear Guru

I agree with everything except "sounds pretty close." It really doesn't.
Old 28th January 2015
Dawns flame ******ant suit. Just because its vintage doesn't make it better or more convenient. Plenty of reasons to stay ITB.
Is it the same.. maybe not.. but is it close enough.. probably yes. Also as you pointed out the sounds are rather dated. And FM8 does give you a few more possibilities then the original DX did. Certainly has some nice sounds and also much easier to handle with realtime bounces which you can't really do with outboard gear. Just saying...
Old 28th January 2015
Gear Guru

I never pointed out the sounds are dated, that was someone else, I don't agree with that.

If you want to defend your opinion of "ITB OK" that's fine. But I'll defend mine, that the DX7 is worth having, and is not very closely emulated by FM8.

Plenty of reasons to stay OTB, and the DX7 and its kin are a good one. It really doesn't need to be made into a contest either way. "Just saying..."
Old 28th January 2015
Having owned a DX7 "original" that I later had the Greymatter upgrade done to that lasted me for like 15 years.. i can say that if you want to nitpick sure they sound different.. but if you want to get close and make some things easier.. I'm more then happy not to lug the thing around frankly.
Old 28th January 2015
Gear Guru

I tend to think oppositely, to me software is a backup, a failsafe, a fill in the blanks where my hardware collection is not delivering. So yes I have a definite hardware bias, specifically regarding keyboard instruments.
Old 28th January 2015
Lives for gear

Man, the DX7 hit music like a bomb when it came out, though, didn't it?

To me it's like 1984 furniture but it's so emblematic of its moment....
Old 28th January 2015
Here for the gear
I bought a DX-7 on eBay about ten years ago, and I'm using it as a secondary MIDI controller these days--as well as to program my TX-816.

I absolutely agree that the presets sound dated, but you can program it to create some amazing sounds. (Especially when the FM sounds are layered with Massive, Diversion, and/or multiple programmed sounds from the TX-816.)

ITB is fine (I have Massive and Diversion), but I also love the TX-816 (and my growing collection of Oberheim Matrix 6Rs...)
Old 29th January 2015
Lives for gear

Well i've had a few days to play with mine now and I've had FM8 for years.
FM8 is pretty good at mimicking the sounds but not the depth of the recorded Track. Sounds pretty thin in comparison but yeah, nowhere near as heavy.
Old 29th January 2015
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by lame pseudonym View Post
Man, the DX7 hit music like a bomb when it came out, though, didn't it?

To me it's like 1984 furniture but it's so emblematic of its moment....

yes it did. I sold all versions of them and all others for years and years...def has its place in time more so than most...I remeber bo tomlyn the programmer and the grey matter stuff.....
Old 29th January 2015
yeah E! was pretty awesome then. Lots of new onboard sounds.. I even remember getting a patch editor for my apple 2gs and managed to get support from the developer on xmas morning! That was service! My dx survived a drop 3 feet onto concrete once too. It never died.. built like a tank.
Old 30th January 2015
Gear Nut

Thanks for all the detailed info.

I've had FM8 for years, but I've never liked the results.

Considering how cheaply you can get a DX7, I think it's worth it.
Old 21st March 2015
Lives for gear
I'm looking at both of these now aswell, a guy is selling both but the original MK1 for a little more..

I'm pretty much after the 'cheesy' stock sounds, the DX7s has the same presets right?

I like what I've been reading about the keyboard as a controller aswell and it being a good keybed etc, does this apply to both or all iterations of the DX?

I'm stuck on which to get, mainly confused to why the guy has priced the MK1 higher than the S..

Is anyone able to make a little list/comparison of the pro's and con's of both?

Thanks.
Old 22nd May 2017
Lives for gear
DX7 Dated? Are you high?!

You can make O.G-mack-Big-dick-Johnson-all-around-baddass ANYTHING with it. It's a true WMD for those willing to search and destroy

BUT do not wuss out...

1. ONLY get the Mrk1 12bit converters are essential, Mrk2 is for sissies

2. Don't screw around with some little girl computer editor, be man and show that beast who's boss

DX7 mrk1 if you are a true beast-master
Old 22nd May 2017
Lives for gear

dont forget the TX-7 - desktop DX7. much more convenient
Old 23rd May 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrone View Post
I'm looking at both of these now aswell, a guy is selling both but the original MK1 for a little more..

I'm pretty much after the 'cheesy' stock sounds, the DX7s has the same presets right?

I like what I've been reading about the keyboard as a controller aswell and it being a good keybed etc, does this apply to both or all iterations of the DX?

I'm stuck on which to get, mainly confused to why the guy has priced the MK1 higher than the S..

Is anyone able to make a little list/comparison of the pro's and con's of both?

Thanks.
Nice to hear you like the sound of the DX7

Guess what?

The DX7 doesn't like you

Now, are you going to show it who's boss or what? Feature comparisons? Gimme a break

Seriously, man up quick or forget the whole thing
Old 23rd May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
Hey Sluzza’s,

I’m looking at two keyboards right now, one of which I will purchase.

They are both the same price, and they are in identical condition.

One is a DX7, the other a DX7S.

I won’t be playing live, it’s purely for production.

As far as I can see, the two major differences are:

DX7 -> 12 Bit DAC, 32 presets Memory
DX7S -> 16 Bit DAC, 64 presets Memory

Is there anything else I need to be aware of, when comparing the two?

Do they sound the same/similar?
FS1R
Old 23rd May 2017
Lives for gear
I went with an SY99 in 1991. Still use it. It was the conclusion of Yamaha's FM synths that started with the DX7. Then wave tables took over.
Old 30th August 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnaphile View Post
I bought a DX-7 on eBay about ten years ago, and I'm using it as a secondary MIDI controller these days--as well as to program my TX-816.

I absolutely agree that the presets sound dated, but you can program it to create some amazing sounds. (Especially when the FM sounds are layered with Massive, Diversion, and/or multiple programmed sounds from the TX-816.)

ITB is fine (I have Massive and Diversion), but I also love the TX-816 (and my growing collection of Oberheim Matrix 6Rs...)
I realize this topic is a bit old now so forgive me for jumping in here. I bought a Yamaha TX816 with 8 modules recently. Does it matter what DX7 you use to program the sounds? I am thinking of buying the DX7 II D or FD. Can I still program the TX816 with ANY DX7? Or do you need a specific model of DX? Also, with the TX816 ( I didn't get a manual with my TX816) how do you get the sounds onto it? Am I correct in assuming you can play 8 different voices at any given time with the TX816? Lastly, can I use the sounds that are sold on the net for the DX7, in my TX816? Sorry for so many questions. I have been searching like a madman for the past two months for a new synth with a ton of the eighties sounds, or at least something that doesn't give you 20 different pianos that all sound the same, 20 organs...ditto, trumpets, flutes, yada, yada,yada. I want all synthy type sounds and none of these type sounds previously mentioned, and that's a tall order to fill. I looked at all the current analog modeling synths and realize they are limited in their polyphony and are mostly mono timbral. I have looked at the Ensoniq SQ80. VFX SD, ESQ1, etc, etc, and they are all limited in their polyphony and multi timbral capabilities (8 voice/8 part). I need at least 8 voices of multi timbrality and a good amount of polyphony. Trouble with that equation is you are limited to modern workstations or arrangers, and ALL of their sounds, sound to me, like outdated same old crap sounds, or repetitions of each other for several presets at a pop. Really like that old poly synth/pad brassy type sound of the DX7's and today it is ultra hard to find anything that can do the job. I currently use a Motif XS8, controlling a Roland JDXA, and an Elektron Machinedrum SPS MKII UW, with a Lexicon MX400 effects. All I need now is a cool multi timbral keyboard with lots of polyphony capability coupled with lots of synthy type sounds sans pianos, organs. flutes, trumpets, etc. Cheers everyone and happy synthing.
Old 31st August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by taran2ula View Post
I realize this topic is a bit old now so forgive me for jumping in here. I bought a Yamaha TX816 with 8 modules recently. Does it matter what DX7 you use to program the sounds? I am thinking of buying the DX7 II D or FD. Can I still program the TX816 with ANY DX7? Or do you need a specific model of DX? Also, with the TX816 ( I didn't get a manual with my TX816) how do you get the sounds onto it? Am I correct in assuming you can play 8 different voices at any given time with the TX816? Lastly, can I use the sounds that are sold on the net for the DX7, in my TX816?
EDIT
Cheers everyone and happy synthing.
You can get the manuals for your TX816 here: https://usa.yamaha.com/support/manua...uction&k=tx816 or here: Yamaha TX816 / TX216 and TX802 Owner's and Service Manuals | House of Synth

Be sure to download them, so that you can access them whenever you need.

It shouldn't matter which version of the DX7 you use to edit the TX816; even the manual says you can use a "DX7, DX5 or DX1". You can also edit and create patches using the freeware DEXED VST or this: https://coffeeshopped.com/patch-base...r/yamaha-tx816, along with many other patch librarians/editors.

Sounds are sent to the TX816 via SYSEX. MIDI-OX can be used to send SYSEX data to the TX816, if you find some patches you'd like to use with it. Any 6-operator FM synthesis patches that were made for the DX7 should work with the TX816, since it's basically the same synth under the hood. There are thousands of free ones available for the DX7; if you grab the DEXED VST, you'll also see a link for all the DX7 patches, with most duplicates and bad/corrupted patches removed.

Yes, you can play all 8 modules independently.

Check out Vintage Synth Explorer for more links to patches and support for the TX816: Yamaha TX816 | Vintage Synth Explorer

Steve
Old 25th August 2018
Here for the gear

Anybody find the 'rash rhodes' patch and fall in love?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search