The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guide me to right preamp?
Old 27th January 2015
Here for the gear
Guide me to right preamp?

So the time is near to purchase my equipment. few more weeks

there will be no instruments recording, just vocals. Hiphop vocals.
acoustic treatment will be taken care of for the most part (going to go through GIK acoustics)

I want to invest in a good preamp for my chain. Such as the UA 610 or UA 610MK2 or Great Rivers, UA 710, or any other suggestions?

I tend to get loud when i rap, I very much into pronunciation and delivery of each and every syllable crispy clear, at least i try lol. here is my SC link to a song to give you an idea of my voice and what i mean.

https://soundcloud.com/gavsince89/pr...o-domini-beats

if you recommend any other pre/mic combination feel free to chime in your 2 cents!

I understand it depends on your voice and mic choice
I plan on grabbing the Rode NT1a mic....BUT I plan on upgrading to a better mic soon as my funds are good again, maybe like a tlm 103 or akg 414

I do want to keep in mind that if i purchase a $1-1,500 preamp, i don't want to be stuck with a nice mic and nice preamp that don't go hand in hand together..if that makes sense. (I read that a few users had a UA 610MK2 with a Neumann 87 that ran into problems)

I read that the UA solo 610 and MK2 has the same pre's, just the compressor is the additional feature. Is the compressor worth the extra $$? couldn't we just use a plugin for compressing vocals?

Interface ? (didn't want to create a new thread on this)
I haven't decided on the interface because well i just could get away with a cheaper interface such as the focusrite scarlett to connect the pre to. BUT i read that cheap interfaces can damage the chain, due to it being the weakest link. So maybe a decent interface with good/decent converters such as the apogee duet (older version)? or any recommendations?

TY! also excuse my bad grammar lol
thank you Gearslutz!
Old 27th January 2015
Lives for gear

there is no right preamp
Old 27th January 2015
Here for the gear
OK I guess I titled it wrong. Can we read the post and then reply?
Old 27th January 2015
Lives for gear

im not an expert but i would buy a high end interface with a good converter and preamp. i would get an apogee duet or something of the same level and just go with that. most preamps are not better or worse than others it just comes down to preference. i demoed an la mkII and compared it with an entry level interface and the difference you are expecting just isnt there. with a good interface and good mixing knowledge you are good to go.

a microphone is always more important than a mic pre, in my experiences and in many others. also room setup but you said thats taken care of.

out of the mics you listed i would go with the akg. if you are going for the rode then get the nt2a instead. i would look at higher end mics as you will hear more of a difference between mics than preamps. a great mic and a good interface in a treated room is all you need in your situation, trust me. and if you are mixing yourself then mixing knowledge in addition to that.
Old 27th January 2015
Lives for gear

we get about 100 threads like this a week

there is no right preamp
there is no right mic
there is no right interface

buy what you can afford and use it till you can hear a difference.

you do want to upgrade evenly so if you go with a 2i2 you want a decent mic and a decent pre not a 1500 dollar pre and a 20 dollar mic and not a 1500 dollar mic and a 20 dollar pre. a good rap chain a classic rap chain is avalon to a u87 if i was strapped for cash on a chain I'd go with a transformer based pre like neve based or api based and go for a well rounded mic something with multiple patterns like a rode k2

so my advice warm audio pre or golden age project pre 73 and a k2 or if your sure your only going to hiphop vocals perhaps a mxl genesis or v69xm.
Old 27th January 2015
Gear Addict
with your suggested mics and the fact that you say you have a lot of dynamics, I would suggest and avalon 737. I think it's used a lot in rap and has a compressor. I also hear it works wonders on a 103

As far as interface goes you would want an interface where the built in preamps could be bypassed completely, otherwise they will change the sound of the external preamp you are buying

Last edited by sroreilly; 27th January 2015 at 04:30 AM..
Old 27th January 2015
Like others have said, there is no "right preamp, right mic, etc." however I've worked with a lot of rap artists over the years and have consistently found that a Shure SM7b into an A Designs Pacifica or a Neve 1073 gives a brilliant result. Not sure about your budget as the Neve is substantially higher in price than a Pacifica, but with either preamp you'll have a heck of a signal chain.

Also, remember that your converters play a large role in determining how much you get out of the higher end gear you purchase. If the conversion is degrading your signal chain it really doesn't matter how much you spend on the outboard.
Old 27th January 2015
Lives for gear

Since you know how you like your voice to sound, I'd buy a preamp with an EQ. Then, you can dial in the way you want it to sound from the get go. Check out the DAKING AUDIO MicPreEQ, the Vintech X73i, Rupert Neve Portico 5032 etc.

I hate how the TLM 103 sounds on my voice, but like it on acoustic guitars. So, be careful. It's not for everybody's voice-in fact I doubt it's for many people's voices- and you can get used U87ai's for a reasonable price. I've yet to hear anything through a U87ai that I hated. It's a safe bet for a voice microphone.
Old 27th January 2015
Here for the gear
OK. What about just an apogee duet (clean pres and decent converters) and would a Avalon 737 or something else along that category of crazy $pres$ down the road maybe next year...that would be a significant pre upgrade right? I would love to add a compressor and or equalizer to the mix. I read that buying an apogee can be difficult to add gear to it.

I just gotta keep my chain all under 3k. Acoustic treatment is pricey.
Old 27th January 2015
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sroreilly View Post
As far as interface goes you would want an interface where the built in preamps could be bypassed completely, otherwise they will change the sound of the external preamp you are buying
I thought all interfaces could be bypassed with an external pre?
Old 27th January 2015
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAVSINCE89 View Post
I thought all interfaces could be bypassed with an external pre?
actually most interfaces with preamps force you to use the preamp circuitry. You can turn the gain down to 0, but your signal is still travelling through it's electronics. I have an SPL Crimson and I can bypass the(good) preamps. I think audient ID22 can as well, also RME stuff you can do this. I beleive with the lower level stuff(focusrite, presonus, etc) don't offer this. Not sure with Apogee, though it is a good interface.
Old 27th January 2015
Lives for gear
Mic: Award-winning microphone engineering from Michael Joly <( hulk 990 ) $429 on sale now
Pre: hairball lola ( DIY save alot ) $295 + $50 Hardy 990 Opamp
Comp: RNC500 ( really nice compressor ) $275
500 rack : vintage king audio 500 $419
Dam n good signal chain my friend without going broke.
Old 28th January 2015
Lives for gear

the difference between line in a on a mic pre at zero and bypassed mic pre is beyond measurement of a daw's interface or RMA for that matter. measurment doesn't lie. your ears do.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search