The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Converting a 50Hz Nagra to North American 60Hz Use? More than just meets the eye? Plugin Bundles
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear
Converting a 50Hz Nagra to North American 60Hz Use? More than just meets the eye?

Hi -I just picked up a used Nagra IV that was apparently intended for the european market. I KNOW that the strobe idler wheel ought to be swapped for it's intended purpose - but does anyone know if other extensive modifications need to be made. I understand I should probably just ship it off to TREW or something similar but just in case - I thought I'd ask beforehand to see if anyone has experience in this matter before I potentially made an expensive mistake...

thanks
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear
also - does anyone have a line on a good link for a manual or web page showing how to align a Nagra?
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear

50 or 60hz I wounldnt worry, dont take my word for it though, but most electronic components turn ac into dc anyway so...

Last edited by Showcase; 25th January 2015 at 06:17 PM..
Old 25th January 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitsmith View Post
Hi -I just picked up a used Nagra IV that was apparently intended for the european market. I KNOW that the strobe idler wheel ought to be swapped for it's intended purpose - but does anyone know if other extensive modifications need to be made. I understand I should probably just ship it off to TREW or something similar but just in case - I thought I'd ask beforehand to see if anyone has experience in this matter before I potentially made an expensive mistake...

thanks
The Nagra IV is a battery portable - I would have thought that the mains was only for charging the batteries.

There is lots of info on the Nagra website - but they are in the middle of updating at the moment.
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear
hmmm... yes - I guess the ATN outputs DC - so good point!! I didn't even think about that. I just stumbled on some thread about it and made me wonder if the speed or speed stability would be affected...

thanks

STILL NEED INFO on alignment though if anyone has info ... or is it just the same as any other deck (?)
Old 25th January 2015
Gear Addict

If it's a Euro machine, the 50 Hz strobe roller means it's outfitted to record with CCIR/IEC equalization, instead of the American NAB standard. The machine does have a playback EQ switch for NAB/CCIR. If you are not interchanging tapes with people expecting NAB EQ, this may not be a problem, just realize you are recording with CCIR/IEC, and do calibration accordingly.

As mentioned, it's a DC machine from the ATN power pack, so it operates fine if you have the proper voltage for the ATN. The strobe roller is only a rough check device and you can change it to 60HZ if you want, but I imagine the roller itself will be very expensive.

Alignment is very generally like any tape machine, but most steps have quirks specific to Nagra IV, depending on the model and vintage. Even the head mounts and alignment are unlike any other. Nagra doesn't seem to provide free service manuals, and the new website doesn't even provide most owner's manuals yet.
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear
thanks - yes - I acknowledge the big "D'OH" with the DC current above already.

Yes - as for biasing etc I figured it was 'involved' due to the multiple voltage settings (there are five including nagramaster). I figure I have to change bias levels globally somehow so that all bias settings function for the same tape, etc (really have no idea how it works - could be per setting too - that's what i'm trying to find out). So - just my luck - I get a EURO machine that's been standardized for AMPEX/NAB - but I want to convert it back to BASF468/IEC. the irony isn't lost on anyone i'm sure.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search