The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
DBX 500 Series?
Old 3rd June 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I don't think they've actually shipped yet. And despite its appearance and width, it's only one channel, but with two independent compressors. It's an odd one for sure.
Yeah you are right, it´s double band but it´s only 1 channel.

It´s a weird type of optical comp and the price is right, maybe it´s not going to be a comp for many situations but I´m really interested in this one
Old 3rd June 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloalcien View Post
It's a weird type of optical comp and the price is right, maybe it´s not going to be a comp for many situations but I´m really interested in this one
I think I'll let someone else be the Early Adopter on this one :-)
Old 11th August 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Sullivan View Post
I had the DBX's over at the house because I needed a lunchbox to finish a DIY build and I thought for ****s and grins I'd make some samples of the 560A using some tracks from a session. THEN I remembered I had the 160VU's here because I just got them back from calibration. So, here's a little A/B. Session was 96K, line out of an Apollo Twin back in line in. No other processing on the tracks. Upright bass, snare drum, kick drum, and mandola...some with vocal bleed I thought the mandola sounded best in "overeasy" mode on the 560A, but that isn't an option on the VU so for the file I used the same ratio.

Personally I think the 160VU only sounded "better" on the snare example. The 560A, looking at the WAV, seemed to compress the top of the WAV more than the bottom...what causes that? DC offset? Voltage rails? Anyway...listen away

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zbgkfomz4...94fkNNdXa?dl=0
Man, thank you for putting up great sounding music/clips. Makes it a lot easier to tell when things sound good. lol
Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

I shootout SSL G Comp to the burr brown modded DBX560a on clipalator of Zenproaudio and I have to say...mai oh mai oh mai...

I had the impression that the recording level of the DBX560a is not equal the SSL G comp but once adjusted I'm thinking about selling my SSL...

smack clarity punch...what else can you ask for?

Zenproaudio...take my money...
Old 11th August 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Just placed my order for a 560A woop woop! I slept on it for a few weeks and decided it was the right decision, as I am slightly obsessed with the 160 sound right now.
You have anything recorded with the 560a?
Old 11th August 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRanger View Post
You have anything recorded with the 560a?
Unfortunately not. I ended up selling all three of them.

The DBX compressor is one of the most puzzling pieces of gear for me. If I don't have one, I want it so badly. If I have one, I have to sell it as quickly as I can.

I know it doesn't make any sense, but that's how it works out. I think my plan is, if I build a 160 VU kit from DIY parts, I will be forced to hold onto it because I made it myself.

Or I could buy an old X or XT and modify them a bit, I wouldn't be able to sell that either. I'm just trying to find a way into tricking myself to keep one.

You see pictures of big studios sometimes. Some have a lot of DBX, some have none at all. I still can't decide which camp I belong to.

Although I do have a 166A that I use on synths sometimes. That thing was only $50.
Old 11th August 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:

The DBX compressor is one of the most puzzling pieces of gear for me. If I don't have one, I want it so badly. If I have one, I have to sell it as quickly as I can.

I know it doesn't make any sense, but that's how it works out. I think my plan is, if I build a 160 VU kit from DIY parts, I will be forced to hold onto it because I made it myself.

Or I could buy an old X or XT and modify them a bit, I wouldn't be able to sell that either. I'm just trying to find a way into tricking myself to keep one.

You see pictures of big studios sometimes. Some have a lot of DBX, some have none at all. I still can't decide which camp I belong to.

Although I do have a 166A that I use on synths sometimes. That thing was only $50.

Wait, you can build a DBX 160 vu out of parts? And are you familiar with the 160 and 560 a mod that revive audio offers?
Old 11th August 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Wait, you can build a DBX 160 vu out of parts? And are you familiar with the 160 and 560 a mod that revive audio offers?
Yes Collective Cases.com has the PCB and case for the project.

I had been looking at the Revive Audio mods a bit and heard some nice sound clips, and I was like, "hey, I could probably do that." So that would be Plan B.

I think the VU is more what I am after though. I prefer colored things to super transparent things, which is why I keep selling 160s I think.

The VU circuit offers a tiny bit of crunchy character or what have you.
Old 11th August 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Yes Collective Cases.com has the PCB and case for the project.

I had been looking at the Revive Audio mods a bit and heard some nice sound clips, and I was like, "hey, I could probably do that." So that would be Plan B.

I think the VU is more what I am after though. I prefer colored things to super transparent things, which is why I keep selling 160s I think.

The VU circuit offers a tiny bit of crunchy character or what have you.
Oh ok, I went on the site ( collective cases ) . So they offer the kit built by ac sound? All of the parts for only $160? That's it? Ac sound sells those units for $1299. I'd think the parts would come out to at least $700.

Am I read g wrong?

In the clips posted, the 160 Vu is superior, but not that much more than the 560. Especially with the mod. I like colored sounding year as well. But my wallet likes a deal. Bahaha
Old 11th August 2016
I bought a pair of 560a originally because of a blowout sale and to get a more percussive smack on piano occasionally. It didn't quite work for me, surprisingly I found I could do a kind of transparent mellowing with them but the envelope shaping not so much. Then I got the SSL SA channel comps, and those give an instant jolt to percussive hits. Probably I just need to explore the DBX more. I do like the overeasy mode for natural sounding squeeze.
Old 11th August 2016
Gear Guru

No I don't think the DIY project would be anywhere near that expensive. However I haven't fully priced out the build lately.
Old 11th August 2016
Here for the gear

Case $150
Components Kit $125
Circuit board $30
wire, an IEC receptacle, a power transformer, meter and switches you have to source yourself. I think you get everything and be some where in the $400 range. Maybe a little less if you source everything yourself.
Old 12th August 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Horse View Post
Case $150
Components Kit $125
Circuit board $30
wire, an IEC receptacle, a power transformer, meter and switches you have to source yourself. I think you get everything and be some where in the $400 range. Maybe a little less if you source everything yourself.
Yeah, I'm down to pay for work. I'm not handy at all. The guys at Pro Recording Store help me tons. They've built all of my diy stuff. So far, I've only bought hairball audio kits. I love them all, but the copper is my favorite. Gonna get 2 more of those kits to give me 8 channels & then I'm after compressors and eq's. I have my eye on the hairball rev d fet 500. But a cheap dbx won't hurt either. Maybe even a capi eq with a hairball op amp
Old 12th August 2016
Gear Maniac
Man, I love this YouTube channel. He constantly shows the importance of a room. We all see these threads with people knocking certain gear. This video us specifically about the dbx 160x & the warm audio la2a. Both sound GREAT in this video. Of course the warm sounds fuller, but does it sound head & shouldts better than the dbx? I don't think so.

Now I'm really interested in the 560 with the revival audio mod. Here's the video. He does another vid with both warm compressors ( la 2a. 1176 )

https://youtu.be/C8EVhlYk5LU

Last edited by FreeRanger; 12th August 2016 at 05:22 PM..
Old 12th August 2016
Gear Maniac
I like this video as well. Two compressors working together at the same time. Something about it is more natural sounding imo. Like there would be no need for de-essing. This is kind of awesome with plugins ( two at once ) as well. But of course, hardware is more present and life like.

https://youtu.be/_TPa3xD8_Jk
Old 12th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Hahahaha, i just sold a 560 that initially demoed, liked and bought. Just to find out in the next mix that besides all my other comps it was the sterilest of the bunch. But now that i´m reading about the Zen Pro Burr Brown mod, i´m interested again, cause i have a 160 modded by Jim Williams and it sounds awesome. I have also an old 166 that has been with me for more than 20 years and it´s in the patchbay, and sometimes i use it, specially to gate and dynamic control a noisy analog stereo flanger that otherwise sounds great, and i even think about sending it to Jim for upgrading.
Old 12th August 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansest View Post
i just sold a 560 that initially demoed, liked and bought. Just to find out in the next mix that besides all my other comps it was the sterilest of the bunch.
No surprise there. Except for the original 160, the dbx "thing" has always been transparent gain management.* One man's transparent is another man's sterile. I'd imagine that the Burr-Brown mod would make it even more transparent. I mean sterile.

* That's actually what they were aiming for with the 160, too. They failed, but their "mistake" wound up being something that certain people like.
Old 12th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
No surprise there. Except for the original 160, the dbx "thing" has always been transparent gain management.* One man's transparent is another man's sterile. I'd imagine that the Burr-Brown mod would make it even more transparent. I mean sterile.

* That's actually what they were aiming for with the 160, too. They failed, but their "mistake" wound up being something that certain people like.
I think i did not use the proper words, i understand your point, though... in this case, i felt the 560 could not handle hi levels graciously, so burr brown maybe would improve this? also a little plasticky feel, and let me tell you, the 160 sounds more transparent after the jim williams upgrade and i like it much more. I also have an original urei 1176 rev G and an Urei La3a modded by Jim that i absolutely love and use in every mix, they became much more versatile, so i guess sterile does not mean transparent for me. I like transparent, i don´t like sterile. And i got many other character options, even a Vari Mu that when the input control is set low, it´s very transparent, but when pushed becomes creamy then overdriven, and i absolutely love it
Old 12th August 2016
Gear Maniac

Was using the DBX 560A along side an Avedis pre as a channel strip while tracking bass.
As a stand alone, its a really good unit for the price.
Wasn't getting much use out of it so decided to pull it out.

Imo, It would be a really good fit on a kick or snare.
Old 12th August 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEG85 View Post
Was using the DBX 560A along side an Avedis pre as a channel strip while tracking bass.
As a stand alone, its a really good unit for the price.
Wasn't getting much use out of it so decided to pull it out.

Imo, It would be a really good fit on a kick or snare.
And that's exactly the intention. Many people have told me that Marcus Miller used a 160x for his bass back in the day. He's been on a lot of hit records. Like, A TON! Lol

So it's all about the intention. Make your gear work for you.
Old 19th August 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
And that's exactly the intention. Many people have told me that Marcus Miller used a 160x for his bass back in the day. He's been on a lot of hit records. Like, A TON! Lol

So it's all about the intention. Make your gear work for you.
Ya, it's a very clean, straight forward compressor.

I might have to put the 560A back to work. Lol
Old 23rd August 2016
Lives for gear

Just ordered a pair of the 560A's try out.
Old 31st August 2016
Here for the gear

Sweetwater has them buy 1 get one free until September 6th. Just bought a pair. Hopefully helps someone in the market for them.
Old 31st August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenley89 View Post
Sweetwater has them buy 1 get one free until September 6th. Just bought a pair. Hopefully helps someone in the market for them.
Yikes, 100.00 each? I already have 3 of them but this is almost too good to pass up....
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/560aSP
Old 31st August 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael cleary View Post
Yikes, 100.00 each? I already have 3 of them but this is almost too good to pass up....
dbx 560A Pair Compressor/Limiter | Sweetwater.com
I thought it was a deal that couldn't go unshared.
Old 31st August 2016
Old 31st August 2016
Gear Maniac
ZenPro has same deal and offers mod. Worth checking with him too!
Old 2nd September 2016
Just ordered a pair from Sweetwater. Looking forward to putting kick and snare through them.
Old 2nd September 2016
Gear Guru

I'm going for it, too. I thought to myself, "Two hardware channels for the price of one plugin?" and I could not resist.
Old 2nd September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecMyWorld View Post
ZenPro has same deal and offers mod. Worth checking with him too!
I believe the same deal is for the stock units, and the mods are $100 more for the pair. Still a great deal either way.

Has anyone used the one's with the Burr Brown mod? I'd be more inclined to go that route.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search